World War Z (Pre-release)

No I am not an expert on books, but I was enthralled with all the differnt stories. I'dve swoern it was written by dozens of different people. Just a really good read. Loved it.

Don't forget guys, this is supposed to be PG-13 so there will be next to no gore/violence that you would see in Walking dead or ANY zombie movie for that matter.

Can't be done. It's too verbal. The whole thing is a series of interviews. They'll take a few of the big action set peices (Yonkers) and gut the crap out of what made the book feel like an authentic history.

If you haven't read the book, it's fantastic.

i have been wating on this since i read the book. now fingers crossed they don't screw it up, but i agree cayman , they are going to gut the story...... but it would make a good long film like the postman or gangs of new york.

It's been a while since I read the book but I can't see how this will work unless they gut the book and base it off one or two stories. PG 13 puts me off, who wants a zombie movie with hardly any gore. Make a Walking Dead movie instead.

Can't be done. It's too verbal. The whole thing is a series of interviews. They'll take a few of the big action set peices (Yonkers) and gut the crap out of what made the book feel like an authentic history.

Actually, from what I've read, JMS wrote it very much the way the book is written, but translated to film- a series of filmed interviews, news reports, etc.

I don't know - look at movies like Saving Private Ryan. Or Schindler's list. A lot of these have elements of oral history incorporated into the movie - the interviews at the start and end of the film.

If these sort of interviews were being used to set the scene and tone of the film, and then selecting half a dozen good sequences to explore in greater depth, it could be good.

on the other hand, what makes WWZ a good book it that it's almost a series of short stories set in the same world - and the fact that there are so many of them really establishes a good sense of what has happened. This might be harder to pull off with the limited time that a 90-120min movie allows

Part of this will be filmed in Glasgow (my city).

I've seen a lot of flyers around as they are looking to recruit 2000 extras.

Last edited:
I don't know - look at movies like Saving Private Ryan. Or Schindler's list. A lot of these have elements of oral history incorporated into the movie - the interviews at the start and end of the film.

If these sort of interviews were being used to set the scene and tone of the film, and then selecting half a dozen good sequences to explore in greater depth, it could be good.

on the other hand, what makes WWZ a good book it that it's almost a series of short stories set in the same world - and the fact that there are so many of them really establishes a good sense of what has happened. This might be harder to pull off with the limited time that a 90-120min movie allows

I think Private Ryan was just an awful movie and has no parallels to WWZ, and while Schindler's List was great, it was nothing like the book. If not in content, then in tone (understand, this is one of those rare cases I like the movie better. The book was a bit bland, but since I like WWZ, I want it to BE like the book, get me?)

Looks like the date has been set (12/21/12), and it is going to be different than the book.
Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news.
The story revolves around United Nations employee Gerry Lane (Brad Pitt), who traverses the world in a race against time to stop the Zombie pandemic that is toppling armies and governments and threatening to decimate humanity itself. [Mireille] Enos plays Gerry’s wife Karen Lane; [Daniella] Kertesz is his comrade in arms, Segen.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back