Wonder Woman

I like her.
And I'm pleased as punch they actually cast a Mediterranean to play a Mediterranean, instead of, oh, say...
AN IRISH GIRL.

Elektra_teaser.jpg

Amazingly high reviews, some even invoking the Reeve era of DC optimism on screen is back.

Yet I will catch utter hell for this....

I still cannot see this actress as WW, despite tons of marketing, previews, trailers presenting
her in character. Nothing against her acting or her, I just don't see what they saw.

Don't be afraid to utter what you truly think. never be afraid to speak truth as you see it ;o).

Again, I will not trust positive reviews on this. remember all the positivity coming out from pre screened reviews during BvS?

Other reviews i've seen state this is even a bigger mess than BvS. at this point i'm more likely to believe that one based on DC's past record of screwing things up.

I know it's nebulous and subjective, It's not as overt as it was with me like it was with Momoa (sp?) as Conan, that was never going to work for me.
Or Batfleck,which I still have zero concept as Bats, how that even was considered or Keaton for that matter escapes me. WW I expect that thousand year wisdom, literally god like presence of strength, grace and power unlimited. It's a tall order. Lynda Carter was even younger than Gadot, but she had that wisdom presence, at least for TV that actually carried you through some pretty silly episodes at times. She was not built like an Amazon either, but I probably would prefer a bit of that in a film.
As said, I certainly have a ton of idealized WW statues and casual comic reading and TV that have formed my mind's eye for years with expectations.
The casting folks clearly thought differently. If the raving continues for the right reasons, I will look at the film at some point and see if I can
find that optimistic of the light DC universe that has been dead on big screen so very long if not find my WW. That is important to me, though I can't go where Batfleck lives later.

LOL.... I lost another one!. smh.
yet no one goes after the mad proffesor. i guess it's easier to pick and choose only one villain ;o).
I havn't had this people wanting to shut me up since ever..so i must be doing something right :).
you people need better hobbies.

Anyway.....back to sanity...
How does RT get at 97% when only a select few critics have even seen the thing? How exactly does this site people only love to quote for certain movies actually work, other than through sorcery? :)

LOL.... I lost another one!. smh.
yet no one goes after the mad proffesor. i guess it's easier to pick and choose only one villain ;o).
I havn't had this people wanting to shut me up since ever..so i must be doing something right :).
you people need better hobbies.

Anyway.....back to sanity...
How does RT get at 97% when only a select few critics have even seen the thing? How exactly does this site people only love to quote for certain movies actually work, other than through sorcery? :)

Actually the press embargo got lifted this morning so I think you'll be seeing more reviews... and I don't think it was 'selected' critics...

Simple, it's 97% fresh based off the few reviews that the movie currently has. If I'm not mistaken, RT is based off of an aggregate of all reviews for a given movie, so a movie can have 1 review or a million reviews and it will have a place on their meter based on how many of those reviews were positive and how many were negative and probably based on the number of stars or thumbs up or down as well.

Amazingly high reviews, some even invoking the Reeve era of DC optimism on screen is back.

Yet I will catch utter hell for this....

I still cannot see this actress as WW, despite tons of marketing, previews, trailers presenting
her in character. Nothing against her acting or her, I just don't see what they saw.
This is exactly how I feel. I feel like there are other actresses out there that look the part. Just not feeling it. While Gal Gadot has a pretty face, her frame isnt right. I dont know, I just dont see her as Wonder Woman.

Simple, it's 97% fresh based off the few reviews that the movie currently has. If I'm not mistaken, RT is based off of an aggregate of all reviews for a given movie, so a movie can have 1 review or a million reviews and it will have a place on their meter based on how many of those reviews were positive and how many were negative and probably based on the number of stars or thumbs up or down as well.

So 4 people could have seen it, yet people tout 'Look, a 98% fresh rating?' seems rather desperate to hang on to if you ask me.. but, whatever works.

I did see a WW review pop up on facebook today, so Edraven99 might be right about the embargo. uh oh. my garbage count meter is going up ;o)

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Except it's not 4 critics, but 66... In anycase I usually look at the actual score, especially the audience score first rather than the tomato metter or whatever it's called. In any case, as soon as I can confirm that Paris does have showings in English and not only French, I'm booking my train. It's only 1h30 away, I bet it would be nothing for some of you in the US !

Please be good, please be good, please be good.

It looks good - but, so have the last half dozen or so DC movies (for the most part). The last DC movie that I can see I came out of the theater liking was Batman with Keaton.

I find RT scores useful as a rough guide.
I have to dig in to the reviews and see if it reflects my personal appreciations.
Some films it may be complex for me to enjoy or not, and others I don't need Shakespeare.
Dear Gawdallmigthy the Fasterly Furiouser-er-er films break a billion these days and
I see the new one has a ripe tomato rating. I'd as soon gouge my own eyes out with forks than
watch them. LOL

beahero_zps5pgigqkj.jpeg

As of this posting, she has 69 reviews and the fresh rating actually went up to 97%! This kind of reception has me so humbled I may even decide to overlook the 'Zues' origin.

what was Batman V Superman at this stage?

Don't know, don't care. If you don't want to see it, don't see it. It'll leave seats available for those who are at least willing to go and view it without the mindset of "Girls can't carry a big superhero movie". Because frankly, that's all I hear right now.\

HOWEVER... to cut this **** off before it really gets started, here is the ratio of positive to negative reviews for BvS on the first day reviews were aggragated on Rotten Tomatoes (03/22/16)

3/22/2016513
203951%

** multiple entries were for multiple pages of reviews.

Last edited:
I certainly hope [it does well], because I (and a lot of other female fans) it's kind of a given that if it doesn't bring in huge numbers for its opening, we're potentially going to see Captain Marvel taken off the table and yet another "women clearly can't carry a film so f-it, let's do another round of Spider-Man/Batman movies".

I agree with a lot of what you say, but not this. We have scores of posts analyzing the different approaches Marvel Studios and DC/WB are taking with their films. In general, Marvel seem to better know what they're doing, and I'm impressed at the long game they seem to be playing. In general also, they tend to treat their female characters as fully-realized people,not just set dressing for the male characters to play off of.

The bit I bolded in particular falls flat for me. Captain Marvel is going to happen no matter what. She's going to be involved in the Infinity War, and probably be part of the Avengers and/or GOTG films further out. She's too integral a character for Marvel to suddenly switch horses midstream jist because "DC screwed up another one" -- which it doesn't seem they've done anyway. I think Marvel Studios feel pretty comfortable in their lead, and generally don't care how well or badly DC's outings are doing. If WW were to tank, the most I can see Marvel saying would be "we'll show 'em how to do a female-led superhero movie". *shrug*

All that said, II'm looking forward to seeing WW, even if GG isn't my first casting pick.

--Jonah

Don't know, don't care. If you don't want to see it, don't see it. It'll leave seats available for those who are at least willing to go and view it without the mindset of "Girls can't carry a big superhero movie". Because frankly, that's all I hear right now.\

smh...sigh.....

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back