Wolverine all day baby! Jackets, belts, claws, oh my.

Do you guys think the jacket makes an appearance in the new movie? No appearances yet in the spy photos.

I asked this question on one of the Wolverine FB pages, the response was "Patience :)" I wonder if they'd use the Anime jacket as inspiration?
wolverine_anime_key.jpg

Yeah, that is pretty much the process I planed on using but I was more interested in what you said about buying the deglazer and using the leather dye. Did you just use the dye for the edges or did you do some work on the belt itself. Also what is the deglazer for?

The belts were already drown but they did not match. I attempted to get them to match myself. There is a leather working store near me called Tandy Leather Factory, they have a web site where you can buy leather products.

The deglazer will take color out of the cloths you are wearing if you get it on you so be careful. I used water based leather dye not oil and I dyed the entire belt. I also learned a lot doing this belt.

I used the deglazer to take off the original color the best I could get it. I dyed the belts over and over having to use the deglazer to tone them down them I over did it or they started to not match. I used 2 brown dyes. I should have got a black one too for detailing. I used old white under shirts to apply and remove the coloring.

Last edited:
What I'm getting out of that is that you can buy the old Heron X-1 for $189, which would be the jacket I have and posted pictures of on the last page. Or you can buy the new version which has their new pattern, and a thicker leather for $350. Now from what I understand, for $250, you get the new pattern, but with the thin leather like their original X-1 has.

I find it kind of interesting the Jorge said it comes with the curved sleeves, I thought this was something they were going to get rid of? The X-1 isn't supposed to have the curved sleeves like the X-2, the sleeves on the X-1 should be straight if you want it to be screen accurate.

I'm not into curved sleeves either,, I just heard people moan about the shoulders being pointy and the waist too large and those were my areas of concern. What do you mean by "new pattern"? Do you mean new design (re: shoulders, sleeves, waist) or an actual new pattern (eg: X-1 to X" to XO)?

How do you feel about your X-1? I'm concerned the thin jackets may not hang well. At the same time I'm concerned the biker ones may be too thick.

I'm not into curved sleeves either,, I just heard people moan about the shoulders being pointy and the waist too large and those were my areas of concern. What do you mean by "new pattern"? Do you mean new design (re: shoulders, sleeves, waist) or an actual new pattern (eg: X-1 to X" to XO)?

How do you feel about your X-1? I'm concerned the thin jackets may not hang well. At the same time I'm concerned the biker ones may be too thick.

I have a few thicker leather bicker jackets. None of mine have curved sleeves and they all fit in the waist. I hate the other kind that you are what your describing. One of them even has zipped vents under the arms by the triceps for air flow. I know my jackets :D I have a lot of friends that ride. But my wife will not let me get a bike :(

Before I got my Wolverine jacket I was using this bicker jacket. I got it because it looked closest to a Wolverine jacket without the tan dealing. This jacket is heave in weight. This is the one I compare to my Wolverine jacket, which is close in weight but just a little lighter.

smmejacket.jpg

Last edited:
If anyone is curious to why Jorge hasn't posted much about the new Heron X1 design, it's because he's awaiting reviews/critiques on his first prototype.

If you've forgotten or haven't seen this yet, here it is:

Just found these pics as I was doing a search on the forum. Is this the new design Jorge was telling me about? if so, I am not a fan. It's black leather with pale orange stripes but I really love the brown leather and darker orange stripes of the original X-1. Why update a replica so that it doesn't look so much like the jacket it's replicating?

EDIT: Scratch that - the post directly beneath explained it's black because it's vinyl (used before transferring to leather). Still not a fan of the pale orange stripes. I hope Jorge gets back soon with a definitive answer :(

I have a few thicker leather bicker jackets. None of mine have curved sleeves and they all fit in the waist. I hate the other kind that you are what your describing. One of them even has zipped vents under the arms by the triceps for air flow. I know my jackets :D I have a lot of friends that ride. But my wife will not let me get a bike :(

Before I got my Wolverine jacket I was using this bicker jacket. I got it because it looked closest to a Wolverine jacket without the tan dealing. This jacket is heave in weight. This is the one I compare to my Wolverine jacket, which is close in weight but just a little lighter.

smmejacket.jpg

That jacket has a nice "hang" to it and looks like the weight helps. Some of the shots of the fashion X-1 look almost like an anorak and hangs horribly. Might have to stump up extra for the biker version but I don't wanna lose flexibility & movement.

I think my Wolverine jacket is close to the movie. the color, placement of the detailing, length.

x-men-origins-wolverine-ultimate-2-disc-special-edition-20090915025753099-000jpg.jpg

xmen_fight.jpg

x-men-origins-wolverine-uk-review-20090428091122130.jpg

closeup.jpg

wolvie-int.gif

They look darn close

Last edited:
That jacket has a nice "hang" to it and looks like the weight helps. Some of the shots of the fashion X-1 look almost like an anorak and hangs horribly. Might have to stump up extra for the biker version but I don't wanna lose flexibility & movement.

The pleats on the back by the shoulders offer increased flexibility. Even the X1 jacket has them, well the movie jacket does. they just don't have any tan coloring on them like the XO does.
wolvie-tnt.gif

Last edited:
That's the new design. The $350 jacket Jorge was talking about. Personally I wouldn't purchase it without seeing pictures of it first. Jorge hasn't posted any pictures of the jacket other than those prototype ones. He told Superdrool he was going to be getting rid of the curved sleeves to make it more screen accurate. Hopefully Jorge will have some pictures of the new jacket soon, I wouldn't want to spend $350 on something that no one has seen yet.

As for the weight of my X-1, I'm happy with it, it hangs pretty good as you can see in the pictures I posted. I'd still prefer to have a thicker leather though, but that's just a matter of personal preferences.

Just found these pics as I was doing a search on the forum. Is this the new design Jorge was telling me about? if so, I am not a fan. It's black leather with pale orange stripes but I really love the brown leather and darker orange stripes of the original X-1. Why update a replica so that it doesn't look so much like the jacket it's replicating?

EDIT: Scratch that - the post directly beneath explained it's black because it's vinyl (used before transferring to leather). Still not a fan of the pale orange stripes. I hope Jorge gets back soon with a definitive answer :(

So you're saying the jackets should be manoeuvrable even in biker form? What about being too thick and hot for every day wear?

BTW my comments about the X-1 fashion jacket looking not too good were about the Heron jackets, not yours, so don't worry!

That's the new design. The $350 jacket Jorge was talking about. Personally I wouldn't purchase it without seeing pictures of it first. Jorge hasn't posted any pictures of the jacket other than those prototype ones. He told Superdrool he was going to be getting rid of the curved sleeves to make it more screen accurate. Hopefully Jorge will have some pictures of the new jacket soon, I wouldn't want to spend $350 on something that no one has seen yet.

As for the weight of my X-1, I'm happy with it, it hangs pretty good as you can see in the pictures I posted. I'd still prefer to have a thicker leather though, but that's just a matter of personal preferences.

Let me get this clear - the new design is going with the yukky pale orange stripes and away from the original X-1 (that you have) which looks more authentic?

As for you, can you explain why you want a thicker jacket? I don't want to splurge $189 on the fashion one only to wish I spent a little more for the biker version and your answer may help me out.

Mine is a Heron jacket in their fashion weight leather. I've never worn one of them in a thicker hide but I would assume there's no problem with them, plenty of people out there own Vanson jackets which are made of a competition weight leather, and I haven't heard any complaints about being to stiff or anything. The jacket being too thick and hot for everyday wear really depends on where you live and what kind of weather you have.

So you're saying the jackets should be manoeuvrable even in biker form? What about being too thick and hot for every day wear?

BTW my comments about the X-1 fashion jacket looking not too good were about the Heron jackets, not yours, so don't worry!

Let me get this clear - the new design is going with the yukky pale orange stripes and away from the original X-1 (that you have) which looks more authentic?

As for you, can you explain why you want a thicker jacket? I don't want to splurge $189 on the fashion one only to wish I spent a little more for the biker version and your answer may help me out.

That's the thing, we have no idea what colors the new design will have. The only pictures we have are of the vinyl prototype. Which is why I said it would be a big risk to buy a jacket that we have no idea what the final product even looks like. Hopefully Jorge can chime in soon and show us some pictures.

IMO, the color scheme on my Heron X-1 isn't very screen accurate, the color of the stripes is pretty close, but I think the base of the jacket needs to be a darker brown.

Sounds great I'm looking forward to reading it.

The magnoli leather belt does look great

Wade Egan makes all the leather belts for Magnoli.......His X-0 belt is stunning....Get the size right and you have one of the best belts you'll ever own....

All the rest of his leather work is great too...Holsters especially...He'll take a while to make it, but once you get it, you'll have something that'll last longer than you will....Well worth it..

Soldier many thanks for the belt guide was really detailed will have to look into this now :)

Magnoli don't seem to have the x1 belt any ideas where to get them from now?

That's the thing, we have no idea what colors the new design will have. The only pictures we have are of the vinyl prototype. Which is why I said it would be a big risk to buy a jacket that we have no idea what the final product even looks like. Hopefully Jorge can chime in soon and show us some pictures.

IMO, the color scheme on my Heron X-1 isn't very screen accurate, the color of the stripes is pretty close, but I think the base of the jacket needs to be a darker brown.

I believe we have seen a couple of shots of the "new thicker" X1 jacket from Heron in the new pattern with the new leather and everything...

jmml posted a few shots of his jacket being made on post #1846 of this thread
dscn2070p.jpg

dscn2073t.jpg

dscn2074md.jpg

Also, I believe this is the finished version of the new jacket... These were
posted by Dinky in post #1872..
194605.jpg

194728.jpg

Thanks for those, I hadn't seen those before, my mistake. Yeah that looks absolutely amazing IMO, I love it. My only issue is like I said, the curved sleeves, the X-1 shouldn't have those if it's meant to be screen accurate. I think with this new design , Heron has definitely gone up a few notches when it comes to a replica of the X-1. Makes me want one even more now.

Comedian - I completely agree. I think the thickness of the leather, the color, and the texture all look great in those shots of the Heron X1! I was hoping to get an XO with the same leather made by them. I have not seen any recent pictures of their XO; all the pictures I have seen are of their fashion weight XO. And the pictures I have seen show their XO needs a fair bit of work to be much more screen accurate. I was hoping to work with Jorge on their XO, the way that SuperDrool and others on here worked with him to get the X2 much more accurate. However, I have sent a few emails over the course of the last month+ and still have not received a response at all....
Now Solider's very positive review of the WolverineJackets.com XO that he purchased have me back on the fence about which supplier to go with... Both Heron's in the thicker leather and the WolverineJackets.com jacket look to be very close in price, so it's just a matter of which one is better, and which one has better customer support...

Yeah the new Heron X-1 looks fantastic. I'd even go as far to say as it's right up there with the Logan's Closet X-1 in terms of accuracy. That's one of the things I love about Heron, they're always willing to communicate with customers and fans to help make their product even better, and more screen accurate. They're not just throwing out a sub-par product and leaving it at that and just hoping to make some cash.

As for Jorge not replying to emails, if I'm not mistaken this is their busy season when they do a lot of their custom orders and things like that so I'd say they're rather swamped until the new year. IMO they have great customer support, when I addressed the problems I had with my X-1 a little while ago, Jorge posted and without hesitation told me to send the jacket back to them, and they'd fix the problems free of charge and even pay for the shipping, I didn't call him out, or ask for it to be fixed, he just came out and offered.

Comedian - I completely agree. I think the thickness of the leather, the color, and the texture all look great in those shots of the Heron X1! I was hoping to get an XO with the same leather made by them. I have not seen any recent pictures of their XO; all the pictures I have seen are of their fashion weight XO. And the pictures I have seen show their XO needs a fair bit of work to be much more screen accurate. I was hoping to work with Jorge on their XO, the way that SuperDrool and others on here worked with him to get the X2 much more accurate. However, I have sent a few emails over the course of the last month+ and still have not received a response at all....
Now Solider's very positive review of the WolverineJackets.com XO that he purchased have me back on the fence about which supplier to go with... Both Heron's in the thicker leather and the WolverineJackets.com jacket look to be very close in price, so it's just a matter of which one is better, and which one has better customer support...

Yes, I have heard a ton of comments on Heron's excellent customer support. That is why I was a little surprised not to get anything at all in response from them. I believe you are correct, that their busy season is from November through March, or something like that... I guess I was still expecting some kind of response even though they are busy - letting me know they recieved my email, maybe providing a few pictures of the current XO (that I asked for), and then letting me know that they are too busy to work on it right now, but they would like to work on it when their busy season ends or something like that...

Otherwise, I think their X1 looks really, really nice. I am not sure where they are at with some of their issues on it - the curved sleeves for instance, if they are still present, or if there is a more recent prototype or pattern...
Also, encased posted some issues he saw in posts #1643 and 1644 that SuperDrool posted he would let Jorge know about them and he hoped Jorge would address in a second prototype. As far as I can tell though, nothing from Jorge or anything was posted after this by anyone commenting if those issues had been addressed or not..
The issues that encased noted were:

The shoulders are no where as wide as they need to be. Where the current shoulders end is where the 1st section should end. This would help lower the sleeves to a more proper spot as they are currently way too short.

They show this in the zipped up pic as they should not pul up to the wrist when the jacket is closed.

The stripes (all of them) need more material folded over underneath. The film jacket had what appears to be at least 1/4" material folded in on the waist stripes. Maybe more.

I can't see it but is there a seam, (the piece of leather going cross wise across the top of the chest zippers?)

Zipper pull is also on the wrong side.

It's looking good but this could be spectacular since it's still in the proto phase.

I'm curious as to what the other comments were/are as I don't see any posted. Please post your comments so we can all see what others have already noticed.

and

Here is a pic for what I see proportionally.

The shoulders really need to go much wider. This will help a few issues that stem form just this one problem.

The back panel needs a more straight seam vertically. It does curve, just not to the extent that it does here. The shoulder seam curve needs to be reworked as it curves around and under too much.

Sleeves need more length as they are wrinkled on the film jacket and are still longer than this.

I used to work with patterns a lot. And on dimensional characters so I can see mentally how it will change. Funny thing about patterns is that one change can affect something with unintended consequences. Hit the major things 1st before adjusting secondary issues (shoulders 1st, sleeve length later).

Looking good.

These were encased's comments of the vinyl prototype X1.

I have been watching this thread for a couple of months now, and went through it a couple times, trying to get as much information as I can to help decide which supplier to go with (yes, I over analyze things!!:lol), and I do not see if those issues that encased posted above have been addressed... It is hard to tell since there are no pictures of the newer jacket on a model or anything, just a set of pictures of the jacket being made, and a set of pictures with what I think is the most current version on a hanger...
Either way, Heron has obviously come a long way on this jacket (as they also did with the X2 before that), and it is looking very nice.

As far as the XO goes though, I am still not sure weather to go with the WolverineJackets.com one or to try and work with Jorge to get the Heron XO more dialed in...

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back