Witch-king of Angmar (Finished) With Templates (12/29/2012)

Great work! Love it!

Just a few questions to ask, how long did this take and how had was it? I recently made a Mandalorian and im pretty experienced with these sorts of materials, also how did you attaché the shoulder plates, the wrist plates and the leg plates to your body?

Thanks, Keep up the awesome work!

This is a fantastic thread, and you did an absolutely incredible job on the costume!
I've been wanting to make a Witch-King costume for a while, and I've been doing some planning and organizing to have one made for next summer's conventions. I've had a few different thoughts for the armor material, but seeing what you've done here with styrene leaves no doubt that it's the ideal choice.
A question I have for you, though: How sturdy is the armor? My biggest concern with making the armor out of any material is its ability to withstand travel.
Also, the majority of the styrene sheets I'm seeing available online are max 0.020 inches (1/50). I imagine that that's probably too thin to be usable as armor. What do you think?
Thanks again for the great thread!

Stryene is pretty tough for the most part. The only concern you should have is tearing, as the thin sheets will tear if there is damage to it. Considering when you cut the plastic all you have to do is score it lightly and then snap it apart. But when it's whole it's pretty tough. Also, when using rivets, always use a washer, otherwise the rivet will rip the plastic metal>plastic , if you use a washer then the connection is pretty strong.

Check out TAP Plastics, I buy from them locally, but they have a website also: Styrene High-Impact : TAP Plastics

Hi guys this is a little update of my witchking of agnmar costume, here is the crown and the gauntlets, thanks to hamsterstyle for the template of the crown, very helpful

1392986_10201682378956936_1059790200_n.jpg

Holy Smokes Batman!!! that is really soooo cool Novashadow! Have you been using Stryene like Hamsterstyle? Your coloring is dead on. Do you have any other pics of your process? Would love to ask a few questions if you wouldn't mind?

Holy Smokes Batman!!! that is really soooo cool Novashadow! Have you been using Stryene like Hamsterstyle? Your coloring is dead on. Do you have any other pics of your process? Would love to ask a few questions if you wouldn't mind?

Thanks man, actually the material i use is eva (or foamy in my country) for the gauntlets and for the crown i use the template that hamsterstyle put in this post, then i cut carboard using the template (the cardboard that i use is one from a television box, its very hard and useful) then i used bondo for the finishing touches, the paint job was done making first a coat of black and then i used a coat of metallic acrylic paint with strokes trying to do the appareance of old metal, if you like the whole process im waiting to an event so i have photos of the finished product and then i will put then in here.

Hi guys, this past weekend was good, finally i had the time to show my Witch King of Angmar costume, this is the final result

577276_458263250956754_1135192870_n.jpg

i will put othe images in a post that i made a while back.

Bye

THANK YOU for sharing the WK Helmet template! just in time for me to start making one until the premiere of DoS. you've saved my life, Hamsterstyle!

The best filler for Styrene is Styrene. Save all your scrap bits and put them in a small bottle with Styrene solvent overnight. Result, a thick, filler like consistency that is a perfect colour match and remains just as flexible.

Hi i know this thread is old but.. im looking for template that looks like your over two weeks... I wana ask you where did you get it?

Re: WIP: Witch-king of Angmar

I'm double replying to my own thread, how sad is that. Here are some more updates for the curious. This is one of those costumes, where all I see is how not accurate it is, but It is still turning out pretty well, and I know I've learned alot in the process.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4018/4662094451_c60fa41d62.jpg
All the pieces I have cut out and molded, except for the helm.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/4662716110_4857b9a568.jpg
A quick 'myspace pic' showing the movement of the wrist. The arm is pretty comfortable. I sacrificed some authenticity for comfort... which on here I think is a crime.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4023/4662716460_9b9e220a23.jpg
Finally a closeup of the shoulder so far, the weathering I did to the plastic is a bit rough, but it gives it a little bit of texture.

It's all held together by rivets, and bits of thick leather, which is considerably stronger than the plastic.

So that is my current progress, next is the boots and legs, then making the cloak and robe. I'm looking at using black gauze cloth, as it is cheap, lightweight, rough looking, and comfortable to wear. Any suggestions on how to fade it out?

It may be seven years later, but some of us here are still using your information for our own Nazgul builds. For that, I must say "Thank you"! :thumbsup

I have to agree; older thread or not, this costume is timeless, and I appreciate the info that is shared. [emoji6]

Rob

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back