[WIP] Maleficent- cheek prosthetics page 5, molds of all the things in progress!

Re: WIP: Maleficent christening gown.

sm_DSC_0466.JPG
Hand basting the hem then overlocking meant the hem did not wripple or warp!
sm_DSC_0468.JPG sm_DSC_0469.JPG

And topstitching pleather with no teflon foot? Just use a button hole foot! This holds the pleather on both sides of the stitching line and you can then sew short lengths!
sm_DSC_0464.JPG sm_DSC_0463.JPG sm_DSC_0465.JPG

And some of the fibreglassing:
sm_DSC_0456.JPG
Freeing the casts from the forms/molds meant lots of hot water to soften. Unfortunately one of the horns warped in the mold- the mold is fine but I may have heated and pressed the mold at one point. So the horn has been heated shaped and freeze set- but it may not work. Tomorrow ill be bogging anyway as I need to get the horns on the head form and to tidy the staff.
sm_DSC_0453.JPG
The blue orb. The green mica foated so I'll have to give it a wipe with more resin and mica powder.

The horns have a thin layer of translusent resin then dark brown and then filled with pale brown. It behaves a lot like real horn :)
The staff is dowel planed to a point and epoxy putty (resin and microballoons) hand pressed. I have a huge reaction just settling on my hands now... no gloves for a portion of this.
sm_DSC_0458.JPGsm_DSC_0459.JPG

The gown has been made to a point of wearing- however I want to bring the back of the train up a bit (shorten it by about a foot) and take the front in a bit. I will be able to put wire in the front of the train but not the sweeping back. That is just a tad selfish at a convention!

I checked my horns- they are not as bad as I thought and I have a tiny but of coabsil left to help fill in the dip and still make it look like the rest.

I also disassembled my train and put the panels in a different order. I lose 40cm in length but keep the fullness. Which is cool. It is closer to what I wanted and the balance works well.

I need to buy some araldite right now and then can get to putting the staff and horns together before using more epoxy putty mix to tidy everything.

Also, that is a standard wig form and the headpiece fits perfectly.

And I let my camera drain overnight. Whoops!

Right. Araldite.

10339741_676172929121989_4634283355335687429_n.jpg
Test yesterday. Today I have sculpted the various scaley bits for the zip cover and the hip curves. The molds are drying now and I'll pop in some latex to cure over night. The staff had more knobbly bits added and the horns are now properly stabilised and lgossy black.

Just whizzed the gown under the overlocker again and have a hem I can leave. Now to hem the undergown and tack down the new pleats at the back. Then work on the collars.

Luckily I am on the ball with regards to the contest I need to judge as well :)

That head dress looks fantastic. Have a question. Have you worked out the collar yet? we are having issues getting ours to work. We tried vinyl over craft foam with contact cement but it wont stay stuck down. Thinking of making worbla collar but was looking for a little help if you've already worked out a good technique.

I did, but it wilted in the heat- so that may or may not be a factor :) Sorry for the delay I was off judging the third major cosplay event of the year here (another next weekend then a break until October).

There are a few photos from this weekend:
View attachment 329938
By Tania Corrotea, Shared by Freddy Corrotea

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152072390426363&set=a.10152072388856363.1073741852.112535936362&type=1&relevant_count=1"]

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152072390426363&set=a.10152072388856363.1073741852.112535936362&type=1&relevant_count=1

Youtube completely ruined this video, and I can't get any embed codes out of facebook or G+
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=678582575547691

Everyone takes photos from below so you really can't see the horns at all.

Re: 99% complete: Maleficent christening gown.

Wow that looks amazing!!!

There is a small showcase of movie props and costumes here in London, I can take some pictures if you want. For sure her wings are there and I saw the headpiece from far. Aurora's gown is there, and I hope some more costumes are there.

Oh that would be amazing thank you :) Sadly few costumes get displayed here in NZ and when they do it's not well advertised! I found out about the Elizabeth the Golden Age costumes the day before they were packed off- they were at a department store. There were two random Pride and Prejudice costumes at a book store in 1996. And then the two Wicked gowns at the same department store were also not advertised well.

Sigh. I even had all the other updates from the show as well!

tumblr_n65t5aEDsC1ranvixo2_500.jpg

Icarus' Workshop

Yeah I was lucky enough to see the signs outside the O2 Arena. We often go to the movies and I never saw any costumes before. Might be new :)

Wicked!!! I am going to the NYC behind the emerald curtain experience. I just have to see the costumes. I would DIE if I could have a look and feel backstage here in London...

That picture is amazing too!

Congrats, this is a beautiful costume and thank you for posting all the progress. Great Build!!!

Thank you :)

The fabric I'm afraid is as much of a one off as the original! Apparently there was just enough of the fabric to make the gown but they wanted to extend the train so added the extra leather pieces :) Obviously fairly early in the design process given how it is sewn in :)

It's a cotton, poly mix with a woven in wripple, it's not heat pressed or anything. It was called "predator" on the tag. Which is incredibly fitting really :)

Super fun seeing the movie in costume! I did take my horns off for the convenience of the viewers behind me!

I'm currently debating whizzing up a spoiler costume, hoping people have seen the movie by the time I get to the next event! Which will be at a not terribbly gown friendly event. But first I need a nap as I'm just exhausted :)

A local find I'm afraid, I did find a reasonable substitiute that I almost got before finding my own fabric
https://www.fabric.com/buy/0266394/luxor-knit-black
Also available at Spotlight in NZ and Australia:'
maleficent other option | The Plain Jane Costume Chronicles
sm_DSC_3050 | The Plain Jane Costume Chronicles

maleficent_19 copy.jpg

I have now packed for the next convention weekend including a spoiler costume (well sort of spoiler) for being able to actually negotiate the venue when needed!

Congrats and beautiful work. The horn video looked like they were a bear to build.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back