Where to find styrene tubes in sizes larger than 10mm diameter, in the US?

red4

Sr Member
I seem to be completely unable to find an online (or local) retailer anywhere that sells styrene modeling tubes in OD larger than 10mm. They only seem to go from 2mm to 10mm. I've found some that are transparent, but transparent plastic is always brittle, and I don't want to deal with that. Where are you guys finding OD 11mm and larger?

TazMan2000
Thanks, but the list stops too soon after 10mm. It stops at 12.7mm. Is there a resource for a much wider range of sizes? Not that I intend to recreate Adam Savage's styrene shop, but is there a way to do that? Is there a store that offers that range of sizes? He seemingly has telescoping sizes from a couple millimeters, up to about 6 inches in diameter. Realistically, I only need to go up to about 2cm, for now.

Not in styrene. Anything larger than 1/2" OD, your options are butyrate or ABS (from Plastruct).
I'm still struggling to find a good resource for Plastruct. Their own website is very incomplete in its design. For example, I'm looking at an item, and it doesn't clarify if it's made of ABS, butyrate, or acrylic; nor whether it's transparent or opaque. And it doesn't mention the dimensions. It just has a weird code. They also feature something like 800 items, but only 6 items per page.

Yeah, unfortunately their website has always been that way - you need one of their printed catalogs for all of the material and technical specs + dimensions. It's antiquated and in serious need of a complete overhaul/update.

I'm still struggling to find a good resource for Plastruct. Their own website is very incomplete in its design. For example, I'm looking at an item, and it doesn't clarify if it's made of ABS, butyrate, or acrylic; nor whether it's transparent or opaque. And it doesn't mention the dimensions. It just has a weird code. They also feature something like 800 items, but only 6 items per page.

Download the catalog.

TazMan2000

Download the catalog.

thanks

I use PVC electrical conduit and then go to PVC plumbing pipe for the larger sizes of tube. It is easily available and cheap. It does not however come in convenient telescoping sizes.
If you need a surface of styrene you can always wrap a thin 0.5mm styrene sheet around the tube. PVC glues well to itself and styrene with superglue and roughing up the contact surface with sandpaper works even better.

I remember a pharmacy that had a lovely cone shaped pen..but couldn’t find it again.

Tubes

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back