What's on your workbench? (no Star Wars, Marvel or DC stuff)

Re: What's on your workbench?

Well, today it was too hot in the shed for fibreglassing, so thought I'd round up some of my works in progress - some are pretty long in the tooth.

In no particular order:

Various trooper suit pieces - some fibreglassed and awaiting bondo, paint and other fitting, some waiting for resin.
Trooper 2.JPGTrooper 3.JPGTrooper 1.JPG

Some biker scout helmet peps, from a heavily-modified Dung0Beetle pep file. I made 16 versions in Blender, but only pepped four. The two on the right are the ones I'll go with. I spent quite a bit of time using plywood templates made from the base of the pep file to get a helmet that should slide snugly down without needing an opening face plate. Huge thanks to DB for the original pep!
Scout peps 1.JPGScout peps 2.JPGScout peps 3.JPGScout peps 4.JPG

Various random helmets, including a couple of First World War German helmets for an Iron Sky gas mask, some Discworld Guards helmets, Rebel trooper helmets.
Random helmets (3).JPGRandom helmets (2).JPGRandom helmets (1).JPG

Jawa blaster, Gimli axe, barrels and grips for blasters.
Jawa blaster.JPGGimli axe.JPGBlaster 2.JPGBlaster 1.JPG

Full sized mannequin to display my sand trooper costume on. He's pretty flexible - more so than me - and made totally from scrap bits found in the shed.
Manny Quin 2.JPGManny Quin 1.JPG

Well, now that I've shamed myself by posting this collection of semi-finished projects, may be I'll actually complete some of them! Thanks for looking.

Fallout 4 Institute Laser Rifle

Two-thirds size, in XPS foam, with some styrene and craft foam.

Just took delivery of foamed PVC (Palight, Sintra), so will be doing details with that.

Fallout_Institute_Laser_WIP_LowRes.jpg

I just finished my first attempt at sanding and priming a F11-D blaster kit. Pretty cold here so it make take a day or two to fully fry PLUS as my first kit I saw some spots I'll probably have to sand down and repaint but it has been fun!

Not technically on a workbench, but I've been beating my head on the desk trying to model the top part of the Fallout 4 Fusion Cell. There is a whole lot of cheating going on with the textures they used. From one angle something has one shape, but from another angle it's practically two dimensional. So I can get it looking right from above but from the side it looks completely wrong. :angry

NormanF, do you mean the microfusion cell, or the core?

If the cell, Lilykill has a 3D model available as part of his free FO4 Laser Pistol build on thingiverse.

There's also a texture fix here, which may help:

http://www.fallout4mods.net/fallout-4/bug-fixes/microfusioncell-texture-fix/
The cell for weapons. I've seen a few variations of that and I really do not feel it is very accurate with the eight "fiddly bits" around the top of the anode. I'm going to start a thread on it soon but here is what I'm talking about.

The top view they are nubs that appear to be raised, nut slots cut into it like most of the 3D models I've seen.
Top View.png

But, from the side they do not look raised at all, but there is some weird effects from using just textures. Sort of like taking a picture of someone's face gluing it to a balloon.
2016-02-06_00002.jpg

And then from an angle it looks completely different from the other two. You can really see some funky stuff from using textures on some of the nubs around the sides.
2016-01-27_00007.jpg

I got to the point where the top view looks fairly good, but I've decided that since this will spend most of it's time in a weapon I'll make it more accurate for a side view.
top 3d.jpg

But, from the side they do not look raised at all, but there is some weird effects from using just textures. Sort of like taking a picture of someone's face gluing it to a balloon.

My guess: like most games they're using bump/normal mapping, along with a pre-baked texture to simulate detail.

This means that there isn't actually any geometry to those nubs... it's fake. (And if you rotate the cell in the game, the lighting is wrong, because it's pre-rendered.)

Same goes for a lot of other stuff. e.g. I'm modelling the Institute laser rifle, and the iconic grips don't actually have any height... they're bump mapped. When looking edge-on, they vanish.

This guy has done a really nice job with the AER9 fusion cell:

http://lepra.largeb.ru/comments/731653.html

BTW, check out the Fallout 4 laser pistol build thread. Franco is also doing a fusion cell right now:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=254971

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm modifying yet another Ekol Asi blank firing gun. The Hammerhead 2.0

HH2.jpgHH2_2.jpg

I still need to add a stock and various greeblies. The last one I made was top firing and I had to divert the gases forward so I ended up creating the blunt front end from a nerf super soaker magazine.

Last build here for those interested:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=242884&highlight=hammerhead

This time I'm working from a front firing version of the gun and I paired it up a swordfish airsoft "strike" muzzle piece built for custom MP5's.

My guess: like most games they're using bump/normal mapping, along with a pre-baked texture to simulate detail.

This means that there isn't actually any geometry to those nubs... it's fake. (And if you rotate the cell in the game, the lighting is wrong, because it's pre-rendered.)

Same goes for a lot of other stuff. e.g. I'm modelling the Institute laser rifle, and the iconic grips don't actually have any height... they're bump mapped. When looking edge-on, they vanish.

This guy has done a really nice job with the AER9 fusion cell:

http://lepra.largeb.ru/comments/731653.html

BTW, check out the Fallout 4 laser pistol build thread. Franco is also doing a fusion cell right now:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=254971
I'm doing the fusion cell before I make an institute pistol. Although, the receiver is used in both the pistol and rifle, just different bits attached. I'm liking the modular system they came up with for this version of the game. And that last link is exactly what I needed to see. From it I can get the design I want.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm currently working on a Poe Dameron Glie-44 blaster from a 3D print. And, recently finished the E-11D from a 3D print. :)ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456704551.841991.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456704570.197587.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back