Walking Dead: King County Sheriff's Badge

Phenix City, Alabama (right on the border of Columbus, Georgia) also uses the phoenix on their badges.

PHENIXCITYALPDHATSTD.jpg

Here's the SFPD Phoenix. Looks alot like the King County bird, especially the detailing under the bird (flame, rope coil).

498px-CA_-_San_Francisco_Police.png

SUN Badge version, minus seal:

Product Details

The show's badges were not made by Ed Jones. They are a company I work with but they did not do the show props. I am checking with the badge companies I do business with to see if any of them have that center seal.

There are a couple of southern Cal badge manufacturers that do a lot of studio work and I am hoping I can track down the one that did the screen used Walking Dead. Unfortunately, there has been a boom in offshore badge and emblem makers that make badges faster (turnaround time) and way cheaper than US makers, and they freely copy (recast) US design badges.

It may end up that the closest one I can get is the one shown unless I find the specialized center seal. To do a custom die for a center seal is fairly expensive.

The badge is a vintage Contra Costa reissue. I just got off the horn with Ed Jones, and you are right they did not make it for the show. Even if they did. The information about them being the source wouldnt help anyone here, because they will not sell badges to citizens. They only sell to law officials.

IIRC, the lady I spoke with said they don't make badges for tv shows or films.

I believe she said that Contra Costa sought Ed Jones out to reissue it.
If that's the case.

Anyone else making these, nicked and recast them from a Vintage Original Contra Costa, or outright used one they acquired from Ed Jones somehow.

It's not that absurd a theory.

I hunted all over for this badge, and I cant find any others out there being sold "new" that are exact. Sunbadge has one in their catalog that is close- closer than the one you posted, but it's still not exact to the Contra Costa. There is also a 100 year Fresno Anniversary badge on this page

star36.jpg

Police Badges - Star Badges: Police Badges Fire Department Badges Collector Badges

The art work is definitely an altered Contra Costa badge. The guy who runs this company creates his own dies, and he said that he is willing to replicate the badge from the Walking Dead show.

I didnt pull the trigger on it, cause I'm not a toe stepper.

I just wanted to help fans find the badge.

Last edited:
Hi "itsalive." If you can help out the fans of the show by getting them made, please do. While I design and sell alot of badges, doing them for RPF'rs is a hobby and not for true business. Don't worry about being a "toe stepper" and please feel free to "pull the trigger" and do a run. Sounds as if you have a knack and passion for this.

I just checked with the company that made the one I posted, to do a custom seal to match the screen used one would be $350-400.00 (one time die making charge). The badges alone retail for $95.00-110.00 each, not including the amortized cost of making the custom seal. Using the standard Georgia state seal as shown on mine keeps the cost at $95.00-100.00. I will continue to check with the other badge companies I regularly do business with.

If any RPF'r can do these, please proceed. I'm pretty busy on a couple of custom gun projects (photos soon in another thread) and a fairly big prop badge project for a well known movie series.

One other issue I, personally, have is that unlike many of the other badges I've made available to RPF ("24" CTU, "Jaws" Amity PD, "Maltese Falcon" private eye, "Bladerunner" etc.) the Walking Dead badge looks like a real badge and there are King Counties all over the US. Having been a cop since the 80's I've run into all sorts of folks using fake badges improperly and I would not want something like this to bite me somewhere down the line.

So, my options in order of preference:

1. Have another RPF member do it, perhaps "itsalive" since it appears he has the desire and access to get it done.
2. Do the run with the seal from Georgia, exactly as mine.
3. Do the run with a custom seal, with the die charge spread out to all buyers.

Note: If I do a run, potential buyers will be required to agree to legal conditions, codify a waiver, pay by paypal (for verification and back tracking purposes) and be over 18 yrs. of age.

Ditto here as well. I'm UK based so there'd be no danger, nor attempt on my part to impersonate a Police Officer in the states, I'm 25 and been registerred with Paypal for some time...

So yeah, I'd be interested for at least one, (second for the hat, depending on price).

You should be okay as long as it doesn't match exactly a currently issued badge by a department.

I wish it were that simple, but it isn't. The law (fed and the ones in my state) use the term "resembles" and "...could lead someone to believe..." so it is more open than specific. Problem for me is that as a cop, I am presumed to know better on stuff like this so if an end user does something stupid and rolls over crying, "I got it from so and so on the RPF website" :cry I can't say I didn't realize it was a problem. A hobbyist prop enthusiast who is not a cop might be a better choice.

I'm hoping "itsalive" can step up through his contact who was able to recreate the original with the correct seal. :thumbsup

Here's the law pertaining to the collection & ownership of badges-

Legal status of products: It is the responsibility of the buyer, NOT THE SELLER, to ascertain, and obey, all applicable local, state, federal and international laws in regard to the possession and use of any item on this site. All equipment is sold subject to public law 90-351, title III, U.S.D., Section 2511, and any local, state or federal ordinances. Consult your local and state laws before ordering, if you are in doubt. Absolutely no sales to minors! By placing an order, the buyer represents that the products ordered will be used in a lawful manner, and that he/she is of legal age.

(a) Whoever--

(1) knowingly transfers, transports, or receives, in interstate or foreign commerce, a counterfeit police badge;

(2) knowingly transfers, in interstate or foreign commerce, a genuine police badge to an individual, knowing that such individual is not authorized to possess it under the law of the place in which the badge is the official badge of the police;

(3) knowingly receives a genuine police badge in a transfer prohibited by paragraph (2); or

(4) being a person not authorized to possess a genuine police badge under the law of the place in which the badge is the official badge of the police, knowingly transports that badge in interstate or foreign commerce;

shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

(b) It is a defense to a prosecution under this section that the badge is used or is intended to be used exclusively--

(1) as a memento, or in a collection or exhibit;

(2) for decorative purposes;

(3) for a dramatic presentation, such as a theatrical, film, or television production; or

(4) for any other recreational purpose.

However, each state has its own laws which are layered with the fed.

I'm running this one by my police association lawyer (also a friend). We may come up with some safeguards. Also, hoping "itsalive" has some news from his source. The maker of the badges I have is pretty high end = expensive as they are made to order, etc and hand finished with fired enamel, etc. If someone can simply cast them at a lower cost, we all benefit.

It would look bad if I contacted the guy who can do these, since I did not send him the images I promised. My only excuse for this is that I was still hunting and finding stronger leads. When I called him I was hoping he could be a source for the badge that I could advertise others to go to. I didnt want to make them to sell. Too much money to risk. I've done that and been burned in the past.

He said he wouldn't charge for the die. That would be a reduction in overall price, and he is willing to make as little as 100 units. Price would be determined after he evaluated the art and talked to the diemaker.

This is his site > Police Badges Fire Department Badges Collector Badges

Not only is it risky as an investment. If one person misuses it or is caught wearing it in a situation that finds them trouble. It could equal trouble for the person they got it from.

It's too hot. The more I researched it the more I realized this.

The better idea would be to find a place that sells it, send people to that site. If they get in trouble with it later- so be it. It wont be a problem for anyone but themselves.

The seal could still be something someone here could do. Pin makers 3DRP or finding out where it really came from.

I love hunting down prop sources. That's really all this was. I did it for TDK (Ferry Detonator) The original Texas Chainsaw film (Poulan 245-A Chainsaw and Leatherface's Bell Bracelet) Rob Zombies Halloween 1/2 (H1-Collegeville Clown mask / H2- Atlanta Cutlery Hunter's Companion Bowie Knife and Myers outerwear outfit)

Last edited:
I hope this project doesn't die. I have to have one of these badges but I don't think I can do it by myself.

It will at least have to wait awhile now, as I had hoped that "itsalive" was going to use his source. I had taken it off calendar as I'm in the midst of a big (for me) badge project associated with a movie series and as shown in my other thread, building a working gun based Blade Runner blaster.

I've sold one of the first two prototypes. I'll send you a PM later today when I can settle down.

I made two of the third protoypes (right badge, wrong seal). I need to confirm if black or blue color was used, screen caps and video can often change color perception (ask the Aliens pulse rifle crowd what color the shrouds are :lol ).

Thanks Eltee.

This is the best picture I've ever seen of the badge. This is from a studio photoshoot and not a screen capture-

BadgeCloseUp.jpg

These are all from promo photographs-

ShaneBadge.jpg

RickBadge4.jpg

RickBadge.jpg

RickBadge2.jpg

RickBadge3.jpg

Also, if you can, get the back issue of Entertainment Weekly #1131, December 3 2010. It has a great shot of Rick on the cover and his hat badge is clearly visible.

Last edited:
OK, on the computer I am using now, the lettering looks black but the ring around the center seal looks blue. The center seal looks gold, but possibly due to its curvature and detail, it looks lighter than the star bordering on looking silver. What do others see?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back