Velociraptor claw on an Isla Nublar rock display (tutorial)

Erupting with lava like in the new movie. This claw features a black wash.

lzbINMd.jpg

b99mIZS.jpg

sc4BCl4.jpg

jkvkc5P.jpg

hNW57GG.jpg

Qkyvikt.jpg

more photos: https://imgur.com/a/oYC1g0X

red4 You know what man? Slow clap to you. Bravo. This is what I LOVE about this community. People sharing their talents and skills with each other. It's why I joined over 15 years ago, so that I could learn from those who are more skilled in prop making than I am and I can't tell you how exciting it is to learn something new or discover a different more effective way of accomplishing something from talented artists such as yourself. So, as I'm sure you've heard multiple times, but is always good to hear regardless, thank you so much for sharing your craft with all of us. Granted I don't speak for everyone here but I can tell you I surely appreciate it immensely. Bravo sir... bravo.

-Ash

red4 You know what man? Slow clap to you. Bravo. This is what I LOVE about this community. People sharing their talents and skills with each other. It's why I joined over 15 years ago, so that I could learn from those who are more skilled in prop making than I am and I can't tell you how exciting it is to learn something new or discover a different more effective way of accomplishing something from talented artists such as yourself. So, as I'm sure you've heard multiple times, but is always good to hear regardless, thank you so much for sharing your craft with all of us. Granted I don't speak for everyone here but I can tell you I surely appreciate it immensely. Bravo sir... bravo.

-Ash
Thank you!

This is an incredible thread and the prop is beautiful.

I always wondered why in the movie, they made Grant's claw so different from what the actual Velociraptor's claws are like. I figure it had something to do with him being able to put it between his fingers easily to mess with the kid at the beginning, and later carry it around in his back pocket.

I'd say the dark claw/earth tone stand or lighter claw/darker stand combinations work best to make the claw stand out. But overall they all look gorgeous.

This is an incredible thread and the prop is beautiful.

I always wondered why in the movie, they made Grant's claw so different from what the actual Velociraptor's claws are like. I figure it had something to do with him being able to put it between his fingers easily to mess with the kid at the beginning, and later carry it around in his back pocket.

I'd say the dark claw/earth tone stand or lighter claw/darker stand combinations work best to make the claw stand out. But overall they all look gorgeous.

I think the inaccurate claw in the movie was made to look extra bony. The profile is mostly anatomically accurate, but the inner details have been hollowed out dramatically, forming a large, rounded ridge (or outline), heavily accentuating its boniness. The claws I make do fit between the fingers just as easily as Grant's claw.

I think the inaccurate claw in the movie was made to look extra bony. The profile is mostly anatomically accurate, but the inner details have been hollowed out dramatically, forming a large, rounded ridge (or outline), heavily accentuating its boniness. The claws I make do fit between the fingers just as easily as Grant's claw.

Really? I always thought Grant's claw looked also smaller than it should, and that a proper claw like the one you made would be bigger, or at least bulkier (especially considering the raptors from the movie are technically oversized Deinonychus and all that).

But if it there isn't that much of a size difference, that's interesting. Being one of those dinofan kids when the movie came out, it always looked weirdly fake to me! (even though I still liked it, and I now own a replica :p)

That volcano one is amazingly awesome!
All of them are amazing.. My skills are not at that level yet. One day .... Damn I'd love one of these

Made a new master for the claw. The previous master (which was also the first one), was made of plaster. It was damaged after the first mold was made. I was able to salvage it for a second mold, but it got too damaged when I pulled it out of that. So the new master is made of resin. I wanted it to accept washes better than before, so I took about 2 weeks carving all of the details deeper. I chose not to use a rotary tool out of fear of it skidding off and ruining my work, so I did everything by hand with very thin tools that dug into my finger tips, and caused lots of pain. I also bought a new secondary lamp to take better pictures than before.

After all was said and done, here is the first painted resin casting taken from the new master.

F1Se8w0.jpg

5HarwhL.jpg

CkCo58P.jpg

Qhy3DaN.jpg

dJcEau7.jpg

GWfLhdl.jpg

I also tried a slightly tweaked way to paint my Vertical Rock Displays
NdjjvUa.jpg

RXmC82C.jpg

9Yg6JEw.jpg

DJkeqQ9.jpg

yB5VRXH.jpg

BSdXe4e.jpg

ZEZ1Mph.jpg

BfqB14q.jpg

cEKnzVq.jpg

ir07OBR.jpg

XSpL36K.jpg

E7pC9zz.jpg

OysXyZs.jpg

EbxKGeD.jpg

After the utter failures I experienced with Smooth-Cast's Onyx, I didn't think I'd ever find success with pigmented resins.

This was my first time trying resin dye. This dye was used with opaque white resin. Each claw mixture consists of 30 milliliters of resin. Using black dye, from left to right: 1/2 drop, 1 drop, 2 drops, 4 drops

Ot9mqj4.jpg

These were a resounding success, and I'm very excited to buy other colors of dye. Next I'm going to try mixtures of black, brown, and yellow.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back