Tron: Legacy Quorra helmet build

Re: Tron: Legacy Quorra Helmet

I watched a show on minisubs once, and they pour those big round bubbles. Only a few guys can do it right.
One guy wouldn't say exactly, but he said it was a combination of curing rate, temp, and degassing.

Quick update:
FINALLY able to find a clear resin that seems to be working well. Just made a cast, and it's not reacting badly like the others. I will be de-molding it either tomorrow night or Thursday and will post some pictures. Thanks for being patient guys!

Such amazing work and the proof is in the pudding...or resin should I say.

Loving these updates! Keep em coming!

Can't wait to see the finished product as you do such awesome helmet work!

Thank you very much!

This latest attempt was waaaay better than my previous ones, and I think I'm sticking with it. Still some bubbles, but very small, and really not noticeable when your a couple feet away. They should fade away even more when the interior is painted black.

So, here's a pic of a failed previous attempt, and here's a pic of the first good raw cast. It has some tinting already, which I will tweak a little darker for future casts, but it really doesn't matter much, since the finished helmets will be sprayed flat black on the interior, and the viewing areas will be sprayed VHT on the interior till it's dark enough.

Attachments

• Quorra - raw1.jpg
    Quorra - raw1.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 846

That's looking really nice. Did you end up using a different clear resin or was it more in the technique?

Thanks guys!
The difference between those two pictures is the resin used. As Bandit said, the proof is in the pudding (resin).

That turned out great! Good going, and thanks for sharing :) :thumbsup

I would be most apreciative to know what the clear resin you settled on was, if that's ok.

Thanks!
and Canobi, sorry buddy: for right now, I'd rather not say...

Hey, I gotta keep something a mystery!

OK - I've officially started the For Sale thread of this helmet:

http://www.therpf.com/f13/tron-legacy-quorra-helmet-153923/

I was able to cast a second raw helmet, a touch darker. And I've had a little bit of time to fully finish the first good raw cast.

Thank you all for your support through this adventure!

Attachments

• Quorra - raw and finished-sm.jpg
    Quorra - raw and finished-sm.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 1,050

Thanks guys!
Visibility is good. I'll try to take a good picture of it. But here's how I'd describe it:
Peripheral vision: 90% (you can see in almost every direction you normally can.)
Focus: 80% (what you see is clear and in focus, not foggy or hazy)
Optical Clarity: 60-70% (ripples distort vision due to the variable casting thicknesses)

For me the clarity is a little wierd at first, but as I move, my brain is able to interpret things just fine.

I'm going to attempt to make a contoured block that I can press against the inside of the casting when it's semi-cured. This should hopefully flatten out the variation in thicknesses, and create optically clear areas similar to vacuum-forming.

Here's a couple pictures in a pathetic attempt to convey the visibility.

The first picture shows well the total viewable area, which I limited to what I could actually see (minus where the el wire runs). The other pic doesn't really show peripheral vision, but does show the wavy visibility. Again, when you're moving about, your brain pieces stuff together remarkably well.

Roblightyeah - hehe, feel free, man. That's why I'm putting all this up. I've learned some things here, so I'm just paying it forward with the little tips that I can offer up.

And Annise, that's high praise! pm me what you have in mind.

Again, thanks everyone. I hope to have another mini-update tonight.

Just posted a comment in your Quorra helmet sale thread. I WANT ONE! SO HARD! LOL! WOW! So happy I stopped by the forums today. I am always so busy with my other projects I never have time. I still want my very own Quorra helmet to complete my costume. I really have no time nor money to invest in the supplies in making my own, plus no experience with paper craft or vacuum forming I am sure I will encounter many failures that I just don't have time for.

I love the work you did here it is absoutely beautiful! Please PM me so we can talk about getting started on a helmet for me. I am so excited and hoping maybe you can have mine done on time for the TRON30th anniversary that will be coming up here in LA. Disney is bringing back TRON to the Chinese Mann theater sometime in October. They revised the screen date which was supposed to be October 4th.

For more info. add on the Twitter feed for - TRON30th

Thanks Annisse!

Wish I lived on the west coast!

Btw, here's a quick test on a scrapped helmet showing a possible 'concept art' version with the matte sides and glossy center. When I get some time, I'll throw in some light - maybe red this time...

Thanks Annisse!

Wish I lived on the west coast!

Btw, here's a quick test on a scrapped helmet showing a possible 'concept art' version with the matte sides and glossy center. When I get some time, I'll throw in some light - maybe red this time...

WOW! This looks perfect! I like the two tone color matte/glossy, really adds to the look and feel of the concept art version. I am glad I asked you to try this out! and very impressed with your skills to produce one this quickly in less than a day! YOU DA MAN!

OK, well, if this works out, then can you sell me one painted like this? How is the visiblilty now, the matte paint affect visibility and will there be a price difference?

Thank you! Awesome job! :thumbsup

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back