Tron: Legacy Quorra helmet build

Re: Tron: Legacy Quorra Helmet

OMG, That's so awesome, I can't wait to see the final end results and to get one of those.. Nice work sir, very nice work. :)

Not really tron related but foam related, im workin on a clone wars bo katan. I made my carboard "skeleton" then added up layers of the foam. I did some minor sculpting in the foam and when i came out in the morning the entire left side pruned up and shrunk in. I lost all the details and alot of the basic shape i had. Have you ever had great stuff shrink on you?

hmm. i haven't had that problem, but i have noticed that as it is expanding and setting up, big air bubbles can grow inside. I usually spray and walk away. Maybe you disturbed one of these air pockets while it was still soft, and it caved in on you.

Also, for what it's worth, i have only used the 'window & door' great stuff, which is a low-pressure expandable foam. Not sure if the high-pressure/high-expansion great stuff performs differently...

Alright, it's about time i got back to work on this.

Here's a few pics of the finished left side. looks like I need to do a little tweaking here and there to get it identical to the right, and it still needs the rear 'vent' features. I photoshopped some lights, just to give me something to look forward to!

It still needs the raised center details, and lots of smoothing out.

Stay tuned for more progress in the coming week (i hope!).

Hey I gotta say this looks awesome crimson and i am officially following your work carefully. I am pretty scared to give the whole Rinzler suit a chance but you inspired me because you have much more talent than I do but I hope to be there one day. I'll try my hardest and you keep doing what your doing.

Nice job :)

~Super8

Thanks guys. This project has been fun, which is really what motivates me to keep working on it.

Here's a mini-update showing some minor tweaks to improve symmetry, i'm starting to add the vent features on the other side, and i'm beginning to lay out where the finer detailed elements will go.

Last chance for critiques on the shape!

Thanks! me too!

OK - quick update showing progress of the center raised detail. At least i think it's raised in the pictures i've seen. The movie barely shows this detail, and the prop pictures i've seen seem to indicate this detail gets thinner as you go up from the chin to the top. It's probably ~1mm at the top, and ~2mm down by the chin. I might take it down even more.

After making a decent outline on the helmet with a sharpie, i traced it onto paper and cut the shape out. then i traced this shape onto foam with adhesive backing and cut that out. This foam went onto the helmet to create a wall for the bondo to stop against. Once i skimmed on a layer of bondo inside this wall, the foam came off, and then it was easy sanding the new layer down to the desired thickness.

Last edited:

thats such a easy and genius way to create the wall from the bondo/filler to go flush against. i made it so difficult for myself during my build using ruddy cardboard and trying to add filler on top to make a similar effect, it was a pain, i'll be stealing your idea for future builds, thank you.

great looking build so far

Thanks, and good luck!

Update for today showing the addition of fine details to the jaw and chin sections...

I ended up using small nails with rounded heads for the chin bumps. Then it was just a matter of being reeeealy careful getting the holes drilled in a clean pattern. And with the first coat of gloss black, they seem to fit in well.

I think it looks awesome. What kind of foam do you use that supports the bondo like that? I would love to try it out

:cool thanks guys.

I used Great Stuff expandable foam. Specificaly the 'window and door' product, which may or may not matter. It truly is great stuff!

i used the red can and i wish it was more compact, im gonna move to the blue cans from now on

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back