Tron Legacy Costume

had a question! just spent the past two hours reading through this thread and i'm not even 25% through it haha. I'm going to be using reflective tape just like Annissë's first costume (it's for school and as much as i'd love to use EL wire it's not necessary). SO! my question was first did anyone end up finding any aqua colored reflective tape, and second, the white looks great when photographed the right way but otherwise in normal light it just looks like a black costume with white tape on it right? that's why i'm really interested in finding aqua! all the blue i've seen has been a dark almost navy blue and while it glows the right color in daylight my costume would just look boring

i love this thread it's so awesome to see how supportive you've all been of each other and that some of you even ended up meeting!!

hope someone can help me, thanks so much :)

try a motorcycle accessory store like cycle gear.

Still working on my Rinzler costume. I have tomorrow to vacuum form the visor, dye the visor, add the LEDs, paint the helm, and add the foam armor to the bodysuit... Wow, so much to do! Here is a quick pic of my Rinzler disc I made from scratch:

ZT988Cm.jpg

And no security guard even approached me while wearing this tonight:

DSC02311.jpg

WOW! I really hope you see this, but did you mask the dark parts of the strip with some kind of material or is it all cut? I know you can cut EL sheets, but surely there must be a structure maintained for the sake of maintaining power and lighting.

I am definitely not well-versed in the art of electroluminescence (except for my adafruit starter kit) so forgive my severe ignorance.

Your jacket looks gorgeous and yet it's such a simple design!

Also, what did you use to adhere the EL tape on your hood? I'm looking for good adhesives with fabrics right now. :D

The hood strips were temporarily safety pinned and double sided taped to the fabric.
The vertical strip was a pattern I drew up and printed onto a sheet of drafting mylar with a laser printer.
It makes a pretty precise mask. The EL tape and mask slides into a clear plastic pocket I sewed onto the jacket.
Sadly the EL tape was cannibalized for my kid's Anon costume 2 years ago and hasn't been replaced.

Another great Gem creation!
My wife was Quorra last year at work and won a $75 gift card.
The costume she has was the Disney costume and was modified to hold the disc on the back. Obviously there are no lights and I did a photoshop'd background. If you do a new rendition of her costume would love to see it so we could do something with the back as the costume has nothing on the back.

I did some mods to Sam's Disney costume but still needs a lot of work. I bought some of hexagon fabric and will attempt to do a ground up build next year with all the lights that you and everyone else has been working on and seeing Fireslayer's work - helps. LOVE EVERYONES WORK HERE!!!

Those look great! I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but do you have any larger pics in "natural" light?

What mods did you do to the costumes?

Again, you guys look good in them!

The hood strips were temporarily safety pinned and double sided taped to the fabric.
The vertical strip was a pattern I drew up and printed onto a sheet of drafting mylar with a laser printer.
It makes a pretty precise mask. The EL tape and mask slides into a clear plastic pocket I sewed onto the jacket.
Sadly the EL tape was cannibalized for my kid's Anon costume 2 years ago and hasn't been replaced.

That picture looks cool! Well done on the custom detailing!

Russ

Thank you very much! The result is absolutely fantastic! :D

Hi there TRON fans! TheRPF Costume Contest 2013 has started today and I would appreciate any of the members votes for my Siren Gem costume. This year I aimed to light it up from its original reflective tape form and did just that! Please help me win the Grand Prize, a $250 Amazon.com gift card!

Thank you so much for your help :) you can cast your vote once a day, I am already behind as of now. Click the link below to vote now!

Annisse - Siren Gem TRON LEGACY (movie) - the RPF Gallery

Those look great! I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but do you have any larger pics in "natural" light?

What mods did you do to the costumes?

Again, you guys look good in them!

Hey Rook 3 - I got sick this week. Starting to come back up. I will try and get some picts of what was done for ya in the next couple of days.

i stumbled upon this thread while trying to find a way to light up my green lantern armor, this has been so helpful and amazing, thanks to everyone doing research adn posting up what works and doesn't and thanks to annisse for all the info about the lighting of armor/ costume.

thanks again guys to everyone, i i have a new idea and hopefully my green lantern will go well.

No worries mate!

Hey Rook so I FINALLY took some pics of my Disney Costume and what it took to make it better though not the best by any means since I still don't have lights. Also please remember the Disney costume is a one peice but they sewed a top and bottom together. I used a seam ripper and then added some elastic to the bottoms as this helps but they are to low waisted but work. My Wife's Quorra Disney costume updates are similar as far as the disc holder is concerned. The gloves came from Lowes as they already had the hexagon shape in rubber and so with some triming and sewing they worked ok. The modified disc was from FATAL 5150 on here as I purchased 2 - one for each of us. Discs work great as the inner ring and outer ring have their own power switch. The disc holder was also from Lowes as some package of some plumbing rubber disc. The package was used and the cost of the product was around $2.00. I then painted the INSIDE of the package black and then used the expandable foam to make the packaging more durable. Since my discs also have the rare earth magnets I then needed some metal somehow. So back to Lowes and the plumbing aisle. I found the adjustable pipe collars that are chrome. With tin snips and tools I then made the chrom half moons. I will paint them gloss black later to match but for now this will have to do. I attached the chrome peices to the package using GorillaSuper Glue - works great once it sets. The disc holds and fits perfect! The disc holder is attached to a foam sheet like what you would use for tools in a tool chest. I sewed the plastic and foam together and to hold this to the under armor padded shirt, I sewed matching velcro on each so the under armor could be washed. The under armor pants help to provide some form to the Disney pants once seperated from the top and also offer some coverage as the Disney costume for BOTH men and women fit odd and would show some skin if nothing underneath. I didn't take pics of the motorcycle boots but they are black as well and work but are bulkier then in the movie. The suspenders are there not because I have belly :) but because it helps to keep the under armor up as you move around so it doesn't sag. If there are any questions please let me know I don't want to waste everyone's time. :) All creations look great!!!

SM2013-11-27 12.11.55.jpgSM2013-11-27 12.12.28.jpgSM2013-11-27 12.12.36.jpgSM2013-11-27 12.13.46.jpgSM2013-11-27 12.14.28.jpgSM2013-11-27 12.14.35.jpgSM2013-11-27 12.16.05.jpgSM2013-11-27 12.16.15.jpgSM2013-11-27 12.16.30.jpgSM2013-11-27 12.20.20.jpgSM2013-11-27 12.20.43.jpgSM2013-11-27 12.21.41.jpgSM2013-11-27 12.27.12.jpgSM2013-11-27 12.28.02.jpgSM2013-11-27 12.28.26.jpg

Good cycle programs and users :)

I have made something of a discovery that may well solve a persistently annoying problem that comes with most tron costumes, wire snappage due to metal fatigue.

So far the only other decent option I have found has been test meter wire which has a much higher strand number than standard wires, and a very flexible/rubbery outer coating.

Now, while the flexible characteristics of the test wire is optimal for our purposes, it only comes in one thickness which is far too bulky for general use, especially if it has to be traced under very thin fabric as it's far too obvious in the light.

And that is where things stood until my discovery today. I was looking up tutorials on sewing machines (just got given a nice industial one), and an idea crept into my head.

I introduce you to conductive thread:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=290883558185

I think this may well need investigating further in detail so I'm going to aquire some for extensive testing and I'll report back once done :thumbsup

Always thinking outside the box, Canobi. =)
I'm curious to see what you end up discovering! At first pass, I would say it's not meant for passing power through (just the low-level electrical field of your fingers to register on a capacitive-touch device). I found another website that sells similar fabric and they said resistance is 14 Ohms/ft. That's ~100-1000x more resistive than most conductive wires out there. Not sure how that would affect the el driver or tape, but they also claim that you can use it to pass signal and power to electronic devices. I would love to see it work!

According to -this- site the conductive thread can pass roughly 100mA which should be enough to light up a suit effectively, as long as you are careful about chaining the panels/ wires together.

According to -this- site the conductive thread can pass roughly 100mA which should be enough to light up a suit effectively, as long as you are careful about chaining the panels/ wires together.

That's a better grade wire too, I think the one I was looking at is for sewing onto gloves to use with capacitance screens as it looks a little fuzzy. The one in your link is much more appropriate, and definitely inline with how I was thinking it would look like when I did my initial search :thumbsup

I just found a 4 ply version on amazon thats rated at only 4ohm resistance per foot, could be onto a winner with this one :)

Thick Conductive Thread 4-ply 15 Meters:Amazon.co.uk:Electronics

Since it looks like the 4 ply should be ok for most costume circuits, I'll be looking into various wire isolation methods. The simplest that springs to mind which would be very low profile is an electrical tape sandwich (tape/wire/tape/wire/tape). this may be ok for low to mid voltages, but not sure about the higher ones, so I suspect our ever trusty friend Plasti-Dip may well come in to play here as well :thumbsup

All I can say is that i am glad this thread - pun intended - is still alive and continuing! Any reason to think that 3d printing would help in anyway?

All I can say is that i am glad this thread - pun intended - is still alive and continuing! Any reason to think that 3d printing would help in anyway?

Possibly, one application would be some kind of thin profile press locking clamp that could be used in conjunction with wire for split electrode tape (trying to find the official connectors is a major mission).

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back