Tron Legacy Costume

A note about wetsuits.

I once worked on a show where people were in wetsuits as the base layer for a costume not entirely dissimilar to this; we had people collapsing through heat exhaustion, and even those who didn't had to unzip every twenty minutes to release the niagara of sweat. It was most horrible, especially after the third or fourth day (I won't give any more detail in case anyone's eating, but anything foul that you can imagine about this situation is probably true).

Neoprene looks great and avoids the skimpy "dancewear" look, but beware high temperature.

A note about wetsuits.

I once worked on a show where people were in wetsuits as the base layer for a costume not entirely dissimilar to this; we had people collapsing through heat exhaustion, and even those who didn't had to unzip every twenty minutes to release the niagara of sweat. It was most horrible, especially after the third or fourth day (I won't give any more detail in case anyone's eating, but anything foul that you can imagine about this situation is probably true).

Neoprene looks great and avoids the skimpy "dancewear" look, but beware high temperature.

I would have to agree that wetsuits, even cut open at points to release heat, are very.. very.. very tough on the wearer unless you are in a cool evironment. There is a good quote from the woman that played Gem in TRON:Legacy in which she states that the rubber and other material suits they had her wearing were found to have caused her shoes to become filled with sweat within just a few mins on the set during filming.

Canobi, that is a sweet render. I like how you have actual light sources inside your model. Nice work.

what program are you using?

The renders and 3D for this one and legacy set were done by fellow RPFer TheMuffin and I believe he uses Lightwave. I gave him dimensions and concept drawings, and he drew them up.

The first lot up to Jet's disc have been done by RPFer Davlin (yep, I'm doing the full set).

Well. Glad to see this thread is still going.

Carry on!

Edit: sorry to have just sort of disappeared. And yes, I will marry both of you. If that's cool with you. <3

Last edited:
I think that should work, but you'll either need to cut off the connector on the battery holder and solder to the inverter's leads, or use something like this: Female DC Power adapter - 2.1mm jack to screw terminal block ID: 368 - $2.00 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits.

Thank you. I was also debating assembling a 9V D battery pack for the EL tape. Is this okay to do? What is the difference in life expectancy in the batteries (Making an 8xAA battery pack vs 8xD batteries)? Also, since the D is a 9v and the AA is 1.5v I assume the D will light up much brighter?

D and AA (and AAA and C) are all 1.5v. The difference is capacity. D won't be any brighter than AA (except when the AA pack starts to die and the D's are still going).

A typical alkaline D cell has 12,000-18,000mAh, and a AA cell has 1,800-2,600mAh. So, the D 9v pack will last you a little less than 10x longer than a AA 9v pack. But wearing a D 9v pack is a bit bulky, and I doubt you'll be on the grid for that many cycles...

Hey Petite, I'll be shooting you a PM pretty soon. Rinzler is currently in progress.

I got it! Sorry it took so long for me to reply. D8

@hikenny: That looks so cool! I love it.

@gams001: I love how bright you are in the photos. Those shoes are awesome.

Also, in terms of the Neoprene (wetsuit), it is extremely hot. I was sweating buckets at my last convention. As long as you stay well hydrated and have an easy means of ventilation (I had a front zipper than was easily accessible so I could air out) you should be fine. Be sure to keep an eye on the person wearing the costume and just keep checking on them; make sure they're feeling well.

The reason I'm defending the wetsuit is because it really worked well for my costume. It's very form fitting and much stronger than regular spandex.

D and AA (and AAA and C) are all 1.5v. The difference is capacity. D won't be any brighter than AA (except when the AA pack starts to die and the D's are still going).

A typical alkaline D cell has 12,000-18,000mAh, and a AA cell has 1,800-2,600mAh. So, the D 9v pack will last you a little less than 10x longer than a AA 9v pack. But wearing a D 9v pack is a bit bulky, and I doubt you'll be on the grid for that many cycles...

Whats the mAh pull of one foot of EL tape (1/2" and 1") from a 9v D? I'm going to be going to a decently long event, I'm trying to keep the tape going for around 6-7 hours and its looking like I will probrably be using around 16-18 feet of EL tape total.

I'm going to be going to a decently long event, I'm trying to keep the tape going for around 6-7 hours and its looking like I will probrably be using around 16-18 feet of EL tape total.

My advice to you is to get one or two really high capacity batteries like these:

12v rechargeable battery 6800mAh Li-ion portable super battery camera DVD 18W | eBay

One of the multiple times I re-read this thread, I noticed that GAMS mentioned he used these, and recommended them. I got two of them to power my whole suit, and I'm using a very large amount of el sheet. After eight continuous hours of wear/usage, I didn't even notice any kind of dimming of my lights.

Also, I personally would recommend getting a remote on/off switch, like they used in the film, for your lights to save power consumption if there are points of your event when you want the lights off. I use one, and it works like a charm =]

My advice to you is to get one or two really high capacity batteries like these:

12v rechargeable battery 6800mAh Li-ion portable super battery camera DVD 18W | eBay

One of the multiple times I re-read this thread, I noticed that GAMS mentioned he used these, and recommended them. I got two of them to power my whole suit, and I'm using a very large amount of el sheet. After eight continuous hours of wear/usage, I didn't even notice any kind of dimming of my lights.

Also, I personally would recommend getting a remote on/off switch, like they used in the film, for your lights to save power consumption if there are points of your event when you want the lights off. I use one, and it works like a charm =]

I've seen this item and I would totally go for it if the price was a tad better, especially if I'm going to be buying two. So I was trying to se if I could put together a battery pack that wouldnt be as expensive but also effective.

I've seen this item and I would totally go for it if the price was a tad better, especially if I'm going to be buying two. So I was trying to se if I could put together a battery pack that wouldnt be as expensive but also effective.

With the amount of feet of el tape you're wanting to use,
it's going to be very hard to find any kind of cheaper batteries
that are going to last more than a few hours :unsure

I have a jacket with a two foot strip of el tape that I used to
power with a single 9v battery, and it would go dim after about
three hours. And that was just two feet.

Lots of folks here have used the 8xAA battery cages, including myself.
Those seem to work better with wire, not tape, as tape draws way more
power. You could look into those, but you'd probably need a few,
and have to buy a crap ton of batteries lol

With the amount of feet of el tape you're wanting to use,
it's going to be very hard to find any kind of cheaper batteries
that are going to last more than a few hours :unsure

I have a jacket with a two foot strip of el tape that I used to
power with a single 9v battery, and it would go dim after about
three hours. And that was just two feet.

Lots of folks here have used the 8xAA battery cages, including myself.
Those seem to work better with wire, not tape, as tape draws way more
power. You could look into those, but you'd probably need a few,
and have to buy a crap ton of batteries lol

Okay, I ended up getting 2 of the battery. Gotta do what you gotta do. I'll just keep reminding myself how full of win it will look in the end.

@hikenny: That looks so cool! I love it.

Thanks a bunch, much appreciated. I was gonna ask if you had any pictures of your costume buried in one of these hundreds of pages, but I did some digging and I found yours.

Very nice! Pretty scary, I don't think I'd wanna mess with you while you're in there D:

I love EL Tape! It just looks so clean and awesome. I tried to put it on my Tron costume but I just stuck with EL Wire instead.
Did you try using adhesive Velcro strips? It adds a bit of thickness but sticks really well and helps keep the tape from getting kinked.

Thanks a bunch, much appreciated. I was gonna ask if you had any pictures of your costume buried in one of these hundreds of pages, but I did some digging and I found yours.

Very nice! Pretty scary, I don't think I'd wanna mess with you while you're in there D:

No problem. C:

Thank you! And nah, no worries. I was too hot in there to be scary. ;P

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back