Tron Legacy Costume

I think it looks great! The only thing I would critique is the knees since the EL Tape isn't staying down, but that seems to be an issue with most costumes than need EL Tape.

I know. The problem is in order to be as screen acurate as possible AND still be able to walk. you have to leave some extra room on the knee areas. That's why you see every Sam Flynn cosplay skipping sections like knees and elbows because its really hard to pull off. My first version broke on my knees and arms, that's why I went with El sheets this time. And thank you =] Your Rinzler is pretty rad as well. Not easy to pulll that one off what with the complex foam design on the suit. Good job

I know. The problem is in order to be as screen acurate as possible AND still be able to walk. you have to leave some extra room on the knee areas. That's why you see every Sam Flynn cosplay skipping sections like knees and elbows because its really hard to pull off. My first version broke on my knees and arms, that's why I went with El sheets this time. And thank you =] Your Rinzler is pretty rad as well. Not easy to pulll that one off what with the complex foam design on the suit. Good job

Ahh, I didn't think about that. That makes perfect sense.

In fact, I had to do the same for my Rinzler costume. When I had the lights working for my hands I couldn't bend them. Otherwise I would have had to rip up the neoprene in order to rewire them. I believe I had to do that twice before realizing it was my movement that was interfering with the lights. Same goes for the butt circles. I wouldn't be able to sit if they were in working order. So, I just left them as they were and concentrated on the chest and helmet. One day I hope to have every single area lit properly.

Thank you so much! And you're very welcome.

6938073898_2b04f29517.jpg
Awesome! These costumes are phenomenal.

Marc, you did a phenomenal job on your costume, man! That looks fantastic! I know all the detail work probably almost drove you mad, but it really makes the costume! Great job, dude! How was it working with the EL sheeting? What method did you use to connect the wiring to the EL sheets? Very impressive work, Marc!

Hey guys,
Completely re-did my Sam suit for the C2E2 convention this last weekend.
Turned out ok, but there's definitely some things I could have done better.
Lemme know what you think!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66680332@N06/6938073898/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66680332@N06/6938069754/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66680332@N06/6938085150/

WOW! MARC! :cool TOTALLY AWESOME! Did you use the LuminousFilm.com Lite Tape for your re-do? I know it must have been a complete pain in the butt wiring and soldering all that Tape together but in the end totally worth it. Trust me. I know! ;) good job man! and I can't believe how good it glows in the exhibit hall of the convention! My Lite Tape still looks pink unless it is completely dark out.

Thank you so much!

Actually,I can't take all the credit in regards to the helmet. It was made by Art Funk. He sent us an incomplete kit where the entire base was made of resin, visor and all, as well as a plastic visor that we would have to install ourselves. My fiancee had to cut out the resin so that the plastic would fit onto the base. We thought that would be all that we had to do for the helmet, but it turned out to be HUGE on me. My fiancee ended up taking it in about 50% so that it would fit me. We think it was made for a man's head. I'm petite (5ft 4in) and super tiny. lol

If you would like to talk to him about making a Quorra helmet I believe he has an account on here. Otherwise I know he has a facebook. He's currently working on a Thomas (Daft Punk) helmet. He does great work! Otherwise, good luck to you in making it! I can't wait to see that!

Awwww well, thank you so much for your info. on your helmet! I am really big on doing my entire costume all by myself and want to try and construct mine myself. I know it will be hard but one day I will try. I just need to find someone that can hook me up to cut out my Pep file for me. Someone that has the machine to cut all those little pieces out. I really am not looking forward to cut them all out by hand ;)

WOW! MARC! :cool TOTALLY AWESOME! Did you use the LuminousFilm.com Lite Tape for your re-do? I know it must have been a complete pain in the butt wiring and soldering all that Tape together but in the end totally worth it. Trust me. I know! ;) good job man! and I can't believe how good it glows in the exhibit hall of the convention! My Lite Tape still looks pink unless it is completely dark out.

Thank you so much Annisse!!! Coming from someone as good as you, and pretty much agreed upon by many as the best Quorra cosplay out there, thank you thank you! I think you and I would make the most epic Tron photo shoot :cool

Omg, this re-do was labor intensive, but oh so worth it. Yeah, wiring...holy crap! I bought a 100 spool, thinking that would be WAY too much, but I literally used about 80 feet, tucked and hidden away in this suit. Not a single visible wire. With 36 separate cut sections of light, 2 wires for each section, and some how running all of them to the inverters, what a joke lol. Figuring the wiring took the longest, by far. Also, I wired in a remote transmitter, so I can turn the suit on and off remotely like they did on set for the movie. The remote looks like a fob for a car

I actually used the same el sheets that Compass72 used on his suit when you guys went to the premier. Under the super bright lights of the convention hall, its still looks a little pink, no way around it. Had to use 4 very powerful inverters to light this thing up. And with a flash, obviously it looks completely pink. But in just the slightest shadow, and clearly in dark areas, it looks totally white =] Thanks be to all in this thread for help and support!

Marc, you did a phenomenal job on your costume, man! That looks fantastic! I know all the detail work probably almost drove you mad, but it really makes the costume! Great job, dude! How was it working with the EL sheeting? What method did you use to connect the wiring to the EL sheets? Very impressive work, Marc!

Thank you thank you so much!!! The el sheeting is actually super easy to work with, and I'm by far just an amateur at this stuff. I used 16 or 18 gauge wire (can't remember at the moment) and just glued the wires down using E6000 glue, no soldering needed. Worked like a charm, none of my wires came off, and I walked around in this thing for almost 2 whole days. Thank you again for your gracious words =]

Awwww well, thank you so much for your info. on your helmet! I am really big on doing my entire costume all by myself and want to try and construct mine myself. I know it will be hard but one day I will try. I just need to find someone that can hook me up to cut out my Pep file for me. Someone that has the machine to cut all those little pieces out. I really am not looking forward to cut them all out by hand ;)

I too prefer making my costumes on my own, but I do not have the money, or the equipment/means, to afford/do vacuuforming. I suppose I could have waited until I did have the means to do it on my own (I do have a friend who's working on making one and he said I could use it when it's completed), but this was a dream costume of mine and... when my mind is set on I costume I go for it.

I did have some ideas on how to make the helmet using strong wire and a spandex fabric, but I didn't think it would look as good as a vacuuformed helmet. So, I asked for some help. I don't think there's anything wrong with seeking help if you don't have the means to do it on your own. About 85% (maybe 90%? not good with percentages) of the costume was made by me so... I think that's close enough.

One day I would like to go back and make the helmet myself. I'm actually going to try and make my own helmet for my next costume (Tali from Mass effect) which should be much easier seeing as it's... mostly a visor.

Good luck to you with your helmet! Can't wait to see it completed. C:

Petite, great work on the whole costume!

My own plans for a Rinzler/Tron suit came to a halt last year, but your step by step photos have inspired me to revise my designs again.

Well done!

Russ

My own plans for a Rinzler/Tron suit came to a halt last year, but your step by step photos have inspired me to revise my designs again.

Well done!

Russ

Thanks so mcuh!

Good! Get to work! lol I would love to see your completed version. I'm glad I helped motivate you. Lord knows I need motivation when I work on costumes. (I get demotivated easily.) That's partially why I made the WIP posts on here, and my dA. Glad to know it worked!

Well done!

Russ
What's it like knowing that you unknowingly started the most epic thread in the history of The RPF? ;)

LOL! The funny part is I STILL haven't seen anyone post templates or sewing patterns for Tron costumes, which was the whole reason I started the thread. :D Glad to see it take on a life of its own though, and all the wealth of info that has been shared by the community! You guys/gals rock!

Thank you so much Annisse!!! Coming from someone as good as you, and pretty much agreed upon by many as the best Quorra cosplay out there, thank you thank you! I think you and I would make the most epic Tron photo shoot :cool

Omg, this re-do was labor intensive, but oh so worth it. Yeah, wiring...holy crap! I bought a 100 spool, thinking that would be WAY too much, but I literally used about 80 feet, tucked and hidden away in this suit. Not a single visible wire. With 36 separate cut sections of light, 2 wires for each section, and some how running all of them to the inverters, what a joke lol. Figuring the wiring took the longest, by far. Also, I wired in a remote transmitter, so I can turn the suit on and off remotely like they did on set for the movie. The remote looks like a fob for a car

I actually used the same el sheets that Compass72 used on his suit when you guys went to the premier. Under the super bright lights of the convention hall, its still looks a little pink, no way around it. Had to use 4 very powerful inverters to light this thing up. And with a flash, obviously it looks completely pink. But in just the slightest shadow, and clearly in dark areas, it looks totally white =] Thanks be to all in this thread for help and support!

Hey Marc, I remembering seeing u at C2E2, I was one of the spider-Men there. As a MASSIVE Tron fan, I gotta say I absolutely love your suit! you did a fantastic job on it bro!

I've been lurking for far too long. Finished up Castor for a con this weekend. Not as cool as some I've seen, but the first in Colorado as I see it. Lighting is LED strip with a new way to distribute the light that I'm quite happy with. These high density LED strips I used are awesome, but get pretty warm and draw 2x the current of regular ones.

High Density White LED Strip - Glowire

This was just a prototype run of the costume, no makeup or gloves but wig attached. Did have arm pieces but didn't have the right means to get them to mount nicely for this run.
P1000979.jpg

From the back:
P1000980.jpg

The material is suede. The wiring is sewn into the jacket, and I use EL connectors to connect to my LED strip sections, which are flexible to a point.

Here is me creating the LED sections. I simply used a thin piece of poster board, glued the strip face up on it, then soldered the wire in for connector, then used stuffing for the light distribution, followed by shower curtain and electric tape to control the lighting.
P1000978.jpg

(Disc looking so awesome is credit to Soulinertia and his mod kits with a Kevin Flynn disc)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back