Tron Legacy Costume

Got another update for yous guys:

Sadly, this was all we were able to get done this weekend: the chest and the details. We carved sections into the neoprene for the wires to sit in and then covered those areas with the neoprene. We then added the third layer of neoprene for the details.

Not everything is glued down completely (thus why some things look off).

Next we'll glue everything here down and then move on the to arms, legs, and back. The back will be done last. We're also going to start the collar soon since the helmet will be here this week (hopefully).

All of the lights are feeding off of a single 23A 12volt battery which is hooked up to a junction box that can power eight lights. Sadly one of the sections is faulty so we may have to get a new one.

rinaler_wip__05_chest_details_by_petitealtesse-d4otiaj.png

^ That looks awesome! I love what you've done with the layering of the neoprene.

I second that! Totaly awesome work :thumbsup

For my next costime project I'm going to try out a similar technique using Plasti dip painted on a polyurethane board till its 4mm thick (about 1-2mm as a top layer would be ok for neoprene), then cut it to shape and glue it the suit armour parts. Gotta buy some more dip though as I only had a small bit left to test the idea with, but the result was very promising. The piece comes off quite smooth and shiny, but a couple coats of the spray version leaves a great texture and looks very close to the screen used arena suits.

AWESOME!
Got another update for yous guys:

Sadly, this was all we were able to get done this weekend: the chest and the details. We carved sections into the neoprene for the wires to sit in and then covered those areas with the neoprene. We then added the third layer of neoprene for the details.

Not everything is glued down completely (thus why some things look off).

Next we'll glue everything here down and then move on the to arms, legs, and back. The back will be done last. We're also going to start the collar soon since the helmet will be here this week (hopefully).

All of the lights are feeding off of a single 23A 12volt battery which is hooked up to a junction box that can power eight lights. Sadly one of the sections is faulty so we may have to get a new one.

rinaler_wip__05_chest_details_by_petitealtesse-d4otiaj.png

Thank you so much! I'm really glad you guys like it. I can't believe it's actually getting made, haha.

And (Canobi) I can't wait to see your next costume. (Is it for Tron, or something else?) It sounds pretty interesting from the small description you wrote.

Thank you so much! I'm really glad you guys like it. I can't believe it's actually getting made, haha.

And (Canobi) I can't wait to see your next costume. (Is it for Tron, or something else?) It sounds pretty interesting from the small description you wrote.

Very much Tron related. I'm actually just messing about with the technique at the moment, but getting some very good results. I'd like to attempt a Sam arena suit at some point and reckoned I could get a very similar look without the same expense using PlastiDip. I'm going to make an Abraxas costume from the Evolution game in the meantime as it will give me time to get a bit more practice with the layering technique before I attempt the arena suit.

I can't wait to see yours finished, it's looking really good so far.

Last edited:
That is awesome! I've been hoping someone would make Abraxis. I've wondered how they would do the lightning-esque marking all over him. I'm looking forward to seeing both costumes. Good luck!

Thanks! I'll hopefully have more updates after Wednesday or this weekend.

That is awesome! I've been hoping someone would make Abraxis. I've wondered how they would do the lightning-esque marking all over him.

Thanks, it's probably going to be one of those ongoing projects that looks simple on paper, but takes ages to complete, and it really does look simple on paper.

The cape is going to be the most complex and power hungry part. The cape is actually sideways, so I'll have to make the hood seperately and glue it on at 90 degrees from centre. For the cape lighting, I'm going to be using a long piece of cuttable EL to make the cape pattern and it will cost about $300 to make (including the cape material and EL tape for the hood).

The one true stumper for me is..... Is the face covering just a mask of some sort, or a helmet? So far I've found no reference pics of him with his hood down. I'm tempted to say its a helmet of some sort but covered by the cape. It would explain why the hood keeps its shape in some of the footage I've seen of the game.

If anyone can help with reference pics I would be truly grateful. Tron evolution isn't available over here in the UK, thanks.

I'm hoping to make him as accurate as possible, right down to his fractured disc and twinkly fingertips. An accurate legacy style disc holder is something I'm very keen to do, especially as I can't make Sam's without one either, so I got a friend whose going to help me model the Abraxas disc (among others) to see if he would do that as well. I'm thinking of casting it in yellow tinted clear resin, frosting it then add LEDs on the inside to make it light up.

I figured for his body, a black morph suit would be about right. I'm going to airbrush the lightning pattern on his body using flourecent yellow paint (I say I am, but it's probably my bro that will do that), and if I feel brave enough I was thinking of gluing some 1.2mm EL wire on top of them. It's possible, and I think it would look really cool, as the light from the EL would pick out the painted lightning patterns. The downside is having so many areas where the el will bend and eventually snap, and there lies the problem. Although it wouldn't be too expencive, replacing the broken EL meens possible repair to the paintwork as well. I'll have to see on that front.

For the fingertips I was thinking of taking some casts of my fingers and sculpting some ends on them. Then take moulds and encapsulating an LED in yellow tinted clear resin and frost like the holder. I can hide a small battery under each tip, and a switch near the wrists to turn them on. Well, that's the plan anyway.

That sounds incredibly complicated. It will definitely be an expensive costume, but you sound quite passionate about it. Good to hear you have a solid plan. Everything you typed out sounds great. I'm quite excited to see progress pictures.

My fiancee had the same idea as you for the lightning marks: EL wire. If done right, it will look wicked awesome. It's the cheapest way to go about it, seeing as the wire itself is pretty low priced. I don't think you could get a lightning-like effect with EL tape anyway (maybe you could, but it would be hard).

I have the game here at home and all of the clips he's been in (thus far) he's always had his hood up. I want to say it's a helmet, but... maybe not? You could make a mask instead since there are no references. Just make it cover most of your face and no one should really be able to tell. It'll be a bit easier/cheaper as well. I want to play more through the game to see if I can find out whether or not it's a mask. lol

I did manage to find a few reference images for you. If I find anymore I'll post them. This was all I found during a quick search.

It's actually not that complicated if it's broken into smaller projects, mask/helmet, cape, body etc etc which makes it possible to focus properly on each part. I learned a lot after making my wife and myself Tron inspired costumes. One of the things I do now is make everything modular where I can. It reduces the chance of a total suit failure, and doesn't rely on only one power source.

I've already priced everything up (not including the disc) and it comes to about £250 ($396ish) with the vast majority of the cost going to the enormous EL sheet that will be the lightning pattern on the cape. Everything else is inexpensive and can be readily found on eBay.

I think I'm going to make him a helmet anyway using something like this as a base

b0978aee.jpg

I'll make a visor blank to fit the helmet and vacform over the lot, in a similar fashion to Sam's disc battle helmet (once I've made the vacform table that is). If there really are no pics of him with his hood down, it gives me a bit of creative freedom too.

Thanks for the reference pics, I didn't have the one on the far right. Now is it me, or do the patterns change a bit depending on his mood. It even looks like the lightning on his feet are out in the last pic. If that's the case, it'll give me some scope as to how much EL I use on the suit and for the pattern on the back of his cape.

Got another update:

A lot of people were asking about the back mount on DeviantART so I decided to go ahead and start on that. After channeling the wires to the back of the costume, J (my fiancee) gathered them all together at a single point in order for them to sit inside the disc mount. The disc mount itself is an eight ounce strap of leather covered in Neoprene. The leather itself is very stiff to hold it's shape, but soft enough for the disc to slip over the top.

We will also be able to get into the disc mount to change out the batteries, should we need to. It's going to have a cork-like lid that goes over top, so it will be a tight fit, but be easy to remove as well.

In order to get to the wires (should we need to), the disc mount is glued over top a back mount where the wires are safely kept underneath. If you notice in the bottom two photos, the back mount is not completely glued down. We're going to be using velcro to secure the back mount firmly onto my back. That way we can open it up to get to the wires.

That's all we've got so far. Still waiting on the helmet. Once it's here I will be working on the collar and the iconic "T" for my chest. In between the waiting I will be detailing the arms and legs. All mistakes will be fixed/painted over.

More to come soon.

-----------------------------------

Sorry for the late response.

That's like what we're doing for Rinzler. Taking a piece of the body at a time, then moving to wires, then to detail, and last painting. It's so much easier and way less stressful.

Wow! That's a lot cheaper than my costume. Though I did pay someone else to make the helmet and that's where most of the expenses went towards.

I think that's perfect!

That could just be differences in game design, pre-design, and the statue I linked, though it may be due to mood changes. I think you should go with the mood changing idea and really go crazy on the lights. Make them either really scary or mellowed out, depending on how much you'd like to use.

Attachments

• this-one.png
    this-one.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 791
^ That costume is looking seriously awesome, and I like how you've done the disc mount with Neoprene and leather.

How well are you able to move around in the costume?

Worked that time, loving to watch a cool costume come together, all my free time to make stuff just went to shyte as now I have restarted uni as well as work and have young children :( Just keep showing pic's of your work to keep me sane :)

Worked that time, loving to watch a cool costume come together, all my free time to make stuff just went to shyte as now I have restarted uni as well as work and have young children :( Just keep showing pic's of your work to keep me sane :)

Think of it this way. You have something that you'll work 18 years on but get to enjoy (hopefully) more than anything else!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Awesome. C:

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that. Is there no way to work on small bits at a time during your spare time? I'll definitely keep updating though. Feedback, advice, and questions keep me motivated.

And as usconcept said, kids are a joy to have created and raised. You only have them for a short amount of time. Cherish it. C:

Hoping to, cleaned out garage this evening made room for my CLU helmet pep, my Anon helmet shell and my Sam Flynn Disc Wars helmet pep, maybe a bit at a time on those will do :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back