Tron Legacy Costume

After Marc's test with his LED reel I decided to test one of mine as well. I do have a multimeter, so I tested my batteries (cheapo sunbeams I got from the dollar store) beforehand and found they were putting out 1.3v since they had been used a little. I set the meter to the max of 200mA and let it sit for two hours. It took quite awhile for the meter to stabilize, but it eventually did around 26mA. I'm not sure if this is because it's fairly old (manual says c. 1985), or if they just behave that way when measuring current since this is the first time I've used one. Either way, after the meter stabilized, I connected the reel directly to the battery pack and ran it two more hours for a total of four. Though the LEDs had dimmed considerably, they were still lit and the batteries gave off no heat whatsoever and a voltage test showed a reading of 1.09v.

Your interpretation of my description of the wiring harness is accurate, well done, glad I was able to convey that. As for that battery pack, it would work for you about 1.28 hours. I would go with a higher capacity one, depending on how long you wan it to last
So if I were to make a wiring harness for this, would it be as simple as attaching all the pos wires to the pos wire coming out of the battery connector and the neg wires to the neg battery connector wire or is it more complicated than that?

After Marc's test with his LED reel I decided to test one of mine as well. I do have a multimeter, so I tested my batteries (cheapo sunbeams I got from the dollar store) beforehand and found they were putting out 1.3v since they had been used a little. I set the meter to the max of 200mA and let it sit for two hours. It took quite awhile for the meter to stabilize, but it eventually did around 26mA. I'm not sure if this is because it's fairly old (manual says c. 1985), or if they just behave that way when measuring current since this is the first time I've used one. Either way, after the meter stabilized, I connected the reel directly to the battery pack and ran it two more hours for a total of four. Though the LEDs had dimmed considerably, they were still lit and the batteries gave off no heat whatsoever and a voltage test showed a reading of 1.09v.

So if I were to make a wiring harness for this, would it be as simple as attaching all the pos wires to the pos wire coming out of the battery connector and the neg wires to the neg battery connector wire or is it more complicated than that?

Yes, it is that simple. And I doubt the age of the multimeter mattered, but assuming you know how to measure current (you have to switch ports on a multimeter to let the current flow through the meter, but I assume you know that). The only explanation, based on you and Marc's observations, is that your LEDs are significantly different from mine. If they are bright enough for you, great, but just to be on the safe side, I would try to use thicker wire connecting to the batteries.

Hey Colonel, Icey, et all:

When it comes to the type of wire you use when doing all this wiring we're talking about,
does it matter if the wire is a solid piece of copper, rather than many thin copper strands like in speaker wire?

Hey Colonel, Icey, et all:

When it comes to the type of wire you use when doing all this wiring we're talking about,
does it matter if the wire is a solid piece of copper, rather than many thin copper strands like in speaker wire?

It does matter, in terms of flexibility. I would go with stranded (what you are calling speaker wire). Solid core will eventually break if it is often bent. So will stranded, but a LOT longer after solid core.

^Agree with all of the above. Would strongly recommend stranded wire for making a costume that will need to bend/flex with movement.

Thanks Colonel and Tim, I had a feeling that would be the consensus.
Any tips on soldering guys? I tried for the first time last night. The tip
of my iron is really pointy and small, but it wouldn't melt the solder,
only the shaft of the iron would.....:unsure

Any tips on soldering guys? I tried for the first time last night. The tip
of my iron is really pointy and small, but it wouldn't melt the solder,
only the shaft of the iron would.....:unsure
Is the tip tinned? Most come pre-tinned these days. If so, it might be loose so make sure it's screwed all the way into the heater (shaft).

Also, be sure you re-tin the tip of your iron after each use. What I usually do is unplug, apply solder and let melt, wipe with a damp cloth or sponge until solder thinly coats the entire tip, then let cool. If you do this AFTER EACH USE, your tips will last longer and solder will stick to them better.

Re: Tron Legacy Costume - Thatscoolwire.com ANSWERED MY PRAYERS!!!! ;-D

SEEN IT & ALREADY ORDERED $$$$$ worth of lights from them - PATIENCE IS VIRTURE and I LOVE Thatscoolwire.com for the DISCOUNT offer they gave me as a valued customer!!! HOT DAMN they so made alot of costume-designing MUCH EASIER FOR ME now - THANK YOU, Thatscoolwire.com! :love

I haven't seen this posted yet but you guys should check this out:

Power Shape Tron Pair at Thatscoolwire.com

They also have several different angles and shapes available.

Yes, it is that simple. And I doubt the age of the multimeter mattered, but assuming you know how to measure current (you have to switch ports on a multimeter to let the current flow through the meter, but I assume you know that). The only explanation, based on you and Marc's observations, is that your LEDs are significantly different from mine. If they are bright enough for you, great, but just to be on the safe side, I would try to use thicker wire connecting to the batteries.
Yeah, I wound up watching a video on youtube on how to use the thing since the instruction manual was very vague and didn't really tell me what I needed to know. Despite the test, I don't think I'll wind up using the AA battery cages since although they work, they don't last long enough at full brightness and I don't want to have to change them every two hours or so. I'll give one of the rechargeable LiIon batteries a go and hopefully that will work out better. Thanks for all your help.

I also let them know its possible that there will be more orders for this design. I am trying to convince them to name it "Flashback Flynn" or just "Flynn." lol

Not to poke a zombie post, but... poke!

How would I go about contacting that company to do another one of these jackets? I actually need a new leather jacket for everyday stuff, I'm obviously a huge TRON fan, and I love custom... well, anything.

So I was thinking about asking for a "flashback flynn" jacket but maybe with a touch of color like a red leather strip somewhere on the outside.

I feel so silly! I'm nervous. This is my first time on the forums and I'm really excited to show my work. I hope you all like it.

Ever since my fiancee and I saw Tron Legacy we knew we wanted to make a costume from the film. I fell in love with Rinzler's (Tron's) character and decided to make that costume my dream costume. I never thought I would be able to make it. I never thought we could make it! But, when I threw the idea of finishing it in time for a convention this April, we decided to give it a shot. I cannot believe it's actually getting made, and looking good (in my opinion). I am so happy with how it's turning out.

Currently the costume is 65% completed. We used a lyrca catsuit as the base and Neoprene (in different widths) as the armor. For the lights we chose lay flat LED's for the chest, arms, and knees. For my hands we're going to use EL wire (we have an idea on how to make it look gooooood). For the circles above the butt I was able to find EL tape cut perfectly, and in orange, so we got that too. I got wetsuit booties for the shoes and I plan to get wet suits gloves as well. We wont be making the helmet. Art-Funk is making our helmet. I do not have photos of it yet, but I should have some the week after next.

Here is where we got the Neoprene: Neoprene - Foam Insulation, Closed-Cell Foam, Neoprene Pads

Here is where we got my shoes (more like socks really): Amazon.com: NeoSport Wetsuits Premium Neoprene 2mm Neoprene Water Sock: Clothing

And here is where we found the awesome EL Tape Circles: EL Tape | Electroluminescent Tape | EL Panel | EL Light

And the lights! These lights are magnificent! I never expected them to be this bright. They light up a room and are even visible during the day. We got them from here: Tiny Prewired Super Bright Surface Mount LEDs - 12V DIY Plug and Play SMT LED

For the hexagon fabric I printed a stencil of the pattern and I'm going to spray paint the pattern on the the fabric using a glossy black spray paint. It will be subtle, but I think it will do alright.

Now, there are a lot of details missing. That's because, once we get the lights tacked down (and get our shipment of Barge's Cement in), we will be covering them with neoprene to add the details and hide the wires. We're also going to carve into the foam where the wires are sitting so that, when they're covered, you wont see them through the thinner top layer.

Here are the pictures:
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/013/c/8/rinzler_wip_02_by_petitealtesse-d4m9z7l.png
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/018/e/d/ed0da4bdb8a729b28cfbf883cfb8253e-d4mu212.png
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2..._50_percent_done_by_petitealtesse-d4naql3.png
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/025/c/5/rinzler_wip__lights_by_petitealtesse-d4nmblp.png

I believe that's it. Feel free to ask questions and give feedback. I'll do my best to explain. I'm so nervous! I hope you all like it. So sorry the pictures are huge.

Last edited:
^ Excellent start! I love how you're layering the Neoprene. Those LEDs are very bright and look great--hopefully they won't outshine the EL tape.

Great job.

I never really thought about it, but with the small amount of light-up area on Rinzler (or redeemed TRON), it would be the easiest of the Legacy costumes to make.

A few questions:
  1. Are you using the Rinzler toy disc? From your pics it looked like you were using a Sam disc.
  2. Are you going to modify the disc?
  3. How are you mounting the disc to the costume?
  4. One disc or two?

@tim:
Thank you so much! I am a bit concerned about one being brighter than the other. If that occurs we'll apply some paper, or another type of cover, to diffuse it.

@jediknight0:
1. I am using Rinzler's. I forgot to get them for the particular picture. Instead I borrowed my fiancee's Sam disk.

2. Not this time around, but I hope to at some point.

3. I'm probably going to make a custom mount using composite materials, glue, and neoprene. Otherwise, there is a certain lemonade container that will fit the inner ring of the disk (as recommended by user Orpex on his blog).

4. Two, of course! I plan to carry them around most of the time, but when I'm tired I plan to put them both on the back mount. I want to add a decently strong magnet to both disks so that they can stick together and (hopefully) both fit on the mount. If not, I'll just carry one.

Two discs on the back will probably be prohibitivly too heavy without modification... at least IMO (please prove me wrong!)

Once again, great job...

I thought of that too...

I want to try to get them both on there, but, if I can't, then I'll just carry one. No worries. I'll try my best to prove you wrong though. ;) I've got a couple of ideas to try for the back piece.

And thank you!

Hey guys........I'm currently working on my own Tron costume, a version of the "Young Flynn" motorcycle jacket that others have done. However, I'm wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for how to attach the disc mount to the jacket. I have the disc secured to the mount, but what methods do you recommend for attaching the mount to the jacket? I'm thinking magnets are on option, or perhaps velcro. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hey guys........I'm currently working on my own Tron costume, a version of the "Young Flynn" motorcycle jacket that others have done. However, I'm wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for how to attach the disc mount to the jacket. I have the disc secured to the mount, but what methods do you recommend for attaching the mount to the jacket? I'm thinking magnets are on option, or perhaps velcro. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi

It depends. If the disc is fixed permanently to the holder, then Velcro or magnets will do. If not, then the holder will need to be more secure than the disc so you can remove it without the holder coming off the jacket.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back