Tron Legacy Costume

Just got my Luminous Film to redo my Quorra lighting.

I know one of the members here said he used staples to get the angles on strips of the LF lite tape. It worked for him but I tried this method myself and didn't work for me.

I have enclosed a couple photos of my results. As you can see, only the strip going straight into my inverter is lite up. The other is not. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to use more than one staple? My staples are not coated or colored in any way, just regular staples.

I have never tried this before and glad I did before I went and cut any more of this pricey stuff and ruined my suit.

How else can I get the angles with LF tape? Bending it at 90 degree angles basically ruins the inner core and there will be dark pink spots in the bent area when you turn it on. Not attractive at all.

Anyway, help with the staple method for angles.... Anyone???

Annisse,
I think you need 2 staples, 1 for each side of the scribe line. It looks like you are bridging across the line with one staple. That will short the connections and the power will go across the staple instead of through the phosphor of the second strip. If you do use staples, make sure you use double sided tape or other way of making sure thet 2 pieces do not move and wear the staple holes larger.

Last edited:
I found the picture in another thread on here actually. I'm not sure where the person that posted it found it. I see what you're saying about the curvature of the front though. I didn't do that with my helmet, but that's because the method I used didn't really allow for it. I'm going to be remaking it anyway since I'm not happy with certain things on it, namely the way I attached the lighting element. It wound up with a thicker profile than I thought it would so it sticks up awkwardly.

I'm lighting the helmet the same way I'm lighting my suit, the lighting strip will be a few milimeters below the surface of the helmet... Unlike my suit I will have a thin strip of clear rubber-plastic stuff and will fill it in so it's seamless across the entire helmet.

:D

I'm lighting the helmet the same way I'm lighting my suit, the lighting strip will be a few milimeters below the surface of the helmet... Unlike my suit I will have a thin strip of clear rubber-plastic stuff and will fill it in so it's seamless across the entire helmet.
That's what I should have done, but by the time I realized it I had already sanded and painted the thing. Oh well, that's what remakes are for.

That's what I should have done, but by the time I realized it I had already sanded and painted the thing. Oh well, that's what remakes are for.

:-/

I'd hate it if I were to ruin mine somehow. :-/

Anyway, I'm using this helmet to make it wearable. I'm taking the plastic off and sanding the styrofoam down so the helmet shell and the lighting stuff can fit on it.. Don't know if I'm keeping the strap on though, it would help it stay on I guess, but they are attached to the plastic, so I'd have to reattach them somehow. But, it is the perfect shape, fits me, and is rather comfortable.

craphelmet1.jpg

craphelmet2.jpg

Last edited:

I'd hate it if I were to ruin mine somehow. :-/

Anyway, I'm using this helmet to make it wearable. I'm taking the plastic off and sanding the styrofoam down so the helmet shell and the lighting stuff can fit on it.. Don't know if I'm keeping the strap on though, it would help it stay on I guess, but they are attached to the plastic, so I'd have to reattach them somehow. But, it is the perfect shape, fits me, and is rather comfortable.
Considering I made it out of paper mache, a balloon, poster board, and a bit of paper clay, most of which I can get at the dollar store, I don't feel too bad about scrapping this one. I'll probably wear it to the local con here in November and then do the revamp for the con season next year, but we'll see how things go.

That does look like a good helmet to base CLU off of. It has some similar angles.

Considering I made it out of paper mache, a balloon, poster board, and a bit of paper clay, most of which I can get at the dollar store, I don't feel too bad about scrapping this one. I'll probably wear it to the local con here in November and then do the revamp for the con season next year, but we'll see how things go.

That does look like a good helmet to base CLU off of. It has some similar angles.

Mine won't be of rather expensive materials either, but it just takes so much time... It would suck to spend so much time on something only to have it ruined... :'(

I want to attend some of these cons but there are never any near me...

Plus there are not enough motivated people around me to want to go on a road-trip.

So mine's going to be reserved for online videos, parties, and halloween.

For those going to Anime Expo!

It has come to my attention there will be a meet up on day 2. It will be at 8:30 at LACC site #1. Thankfully its at night time that way we can show off our lights :D

I just noticed something I never did before... O_O

There's a rather large cutout on each side of C.L.U.'s helmet! The first pircture is a production shot, I thought the thing I circled in red was a reflection of light or something, but the ultimate C.L.U. toy reveals that it is indeed a hole. The placement and angle seem to make it to allow the person wearing it to hear better. This is another thing I have yet to see on anyboody else's C.L.U. helmets across the entire internet...

ididntknowclu.jpg

I now know what the back of the helmet will look like too. The toy while cheap and stupid has the lines that I couldn't find in any of the shots in the movie because it's always so dark. I can now start on the helmet!

[EDIT] After analyzing the image above, I see that there's a cut on the front side of the side panel as well, but it's just a seam I never saw before. (It's in the toy.) In the poster where it shows C.L.U. and Sam on light bikes colliding it's clearly visible.

Last edited:
For those going to Anime Expo!

It has come to my attention there will be a meet up on day 2. It will be at 8:30 at LACC site #1. Thankfully its at night time that way we can show off our lights :D

Aww man, who chose that time? I'm gonna be at the Miku concert then. And since the Nokia theatre doesn't allow props, I was going to shelve my Tron stuff for the night at that point. But oh well, might see some Tron stuff as I walk around. Def at night :D

Annisse,
I think you need 2 staples, 1 for each side of the scribe line. It looks like you are bridging across the line with one staple. That will short the connections and the power will go across the staple instead of through the phosphor of the second strip. If you do use staples, make sure you use double sided tape or other way of making sure thet 2 pieces do not move and wear the staple holes larger.

Ahhhhhh I see. OK let me try the staple on each side of the scribe line and will get back to you if I got it to work.

Yeah, gonna clear tape those staples any way, don't want or need to get electrocuted ;)

Thanks for your help!

Aww man, who chose that time? I'm gonna be at the Miku concert then. And since the Nokia theatre doesn't allow props, I was going to shelve my Tron stuff for the night at that point. But oh well, might see some Tron stuff as I walk around. Def at night :D
I sure didnt haha. It was up on the gatherings list in the cosplay.com forum. But its convenient for me since I will only be there day 2 and 3

Hi again, I found out some more information about Powerless Illuminating Polymer Ribbon. Here is the information I received from the manufacturer about what colors they have/will have.

"Hi there,

Right now, we offer Blue and Green but will be looking to add more colors soon. We are evaluating Purple, Red, Orange and a Blue/Green aqua color. We should have some information on new colors by the end of the summer.

Inventables will be stocking all Lunabrite ribbons as we introduce them.

Hope that info helps!"

Seems rather expensive.. since I think the average length determined throughout this thread was at least 25 feet for the costume lines.. but this is definitely a mess-free option! thanks for the info!!!

Seems rather expensive.. since I think the average length determined throughout this thread was at least 25 feet for the costume lines.. but this is definitely a mess-free option! thanks for the info!!!

O_O

I'm using almost 40' of white el-wire for mine...

But, I am doing mine to look in every way the same as the one in the movie... Meaning down to the fingers/toes and back... Plus I'm doing the helmet which will take about 3' and using about 5' in a disc as well... (both inner and the outer ring.) It's $1 per foot of wire, which isn't that bad... If I used that ribbon it would be nearly $360 for all of it!!! The thing I am not a fan of is the power-packs... I'm spending $50-$60 just on those... (Depending if I want to easily allow my disc to have seperate controlled rings or not...)

Last edited:
So for my siren costume I'm going to do the bodysuit out of a lycra fabric and then coat it in liquid latex but I'm unsure of what base fabric would be best to use. I was thinking of going with these fabrics:

Spandex World Inc. spandex fabric, lycra stretch fabric

Below is just normal spandex but for some reason I feel like I would prefer using the miliskin.

Also once I get the fabric I don't know if I should coat it first and then sew it together or sew the whole thing and then put it on and coat it while it's on my body. I thought i read that that was the best way to do it so the latex is already stretched to your body shape to keep it from tearing/cracking. Also I figure it'll be hard to sew together precoated as it would stick to itself I'd think.

Any thoughts?

So for my siren costume I'm going to do the bodysuit out of a lycra fabric and then coat it in liquid latex but I'm unsure of what base fabric would be best to use. I was thinking of going with these fabrics:

Below is just normal spandex but for some reason I feel like I would prefer using the miliskin.

Also once I get the fabric I don't know if I should coat it first and then sew it together or sew the whole thing and then put it on and coat it while it's on my body. I thought i read that that was the best way to do it so the latex is already stretched to your body shape to keep it from tearing/cracking. Also I figure it'll be hard to sew together precoated as it would stick to itself I'd think.

Any thoughts?

I'm using Wicking Lycra, essentially, Under Armour. It's $10-$13 for a yard by 60''... I was also going to use regular lycra but figured if I'm going to be in the costume and it's going to be covered in foam/rubber then I'll probably want to be more comfortable after an extended period of time.

I don't know about applying latex, but I would assume you want it to look the way you want while you are wearing it, and not while you are not. So I'd apply it while wearing it so it's to your liking, and for the reasons that it probably might tear and crack otherwise... But, I'm just assuming. :-/

finishing up my costume before anime expo this friday, should be cool to take pis with anyone who is going

Since I'm flying in I can't take anything but my simple Tron costume, a young Kevin Flynn like setup. I'll be on the lookout for you! I'm going with LED so I'll be bright enough even indoors :D

Since I'm flying in I can't take anything but my simple Tron costume, a young Kevin Flynn like setup. I'll be on the lookout for you! I'm going with LED so I'll be bright enough even indoors :D
Did you use a repro leather jacket or go with a "close enough."

With a move and some appliance purchasing underway, I think I'm going to go the "cheap and cheerful" route for my jacket, maybe going for some kind of fleece-lined softshell in black and adding the LuminousFilm EL strips. Still doing some in-my-head planning.

Any thoughts?

I rubberized my Siren fabric off my body and it is fine but when you stretch it, the weave seperates.

If you decide to rubberize your spandex after the entire suit is sewn you will have to stand completely still while each layer dries.

I put 4 coats on my silver fabric, the 5th coat I had sprayed onto me while wearing the costume.

If I bent or moved around, the liquid latex will stick to other parts of your suits thus screwing up the smoothness and you get bumps the places you didn't stand straight.

Especially in the crotch area of your suit. Your butt naturally curves in obviously. If you spray or paint in there you will wind up having a mess of latex all stuck together and all that hard work on your suit destroyed.

That is exactly why I applied the latex onto the fabric, now, I am sewin' up my suit.

The rubberized fabric sews fine by the way, it is just getting all stuck together when you turn it inside out. Oh, and I had to cut my pattern opposite grain on the fabric so I wouldn't get the weave pulling apart from the latex but now, I am working with spandex that has next to no stretch but the weave and latex look much better.

Yeah, not an easy task doing any of this I can tell you that. I think I am one of the 1st on here so far to rubberize the fabric and start sewing it. It is not going to be easy at all.

I am sure for the Siren costumes made for the movie, they made all those patterns in a computer to their exact measurements, but who knows exactly how they got that fabric rubberized. I have a friend I can talk to that worked on the movie, not sure if she will reveal anything to me about this but I am gonna ask, I have been meaning too. I asked how the Quorra suit was made last year before I started mine and she never got back to me.

I have photos of my rubberized fabric and me wearing the silver part only of my suit all up on my facebook page if you wanna see, you have to add me though.

http://www.facebook.com/annisse

Last edited:
Awesome Annisse! I actually made a little tester strip with some spandex I had at home and found that it is probably best to coat it first and then sew it. I know what you mean about the weave separating a bit but I might just be fine with that. I don't know. I feel like I'd prefer it to still have that stretch with a bit of texture as opposed to very little stretch but super smooth. I guess that's why I was hoping that maybe miliskin is smoother and not as porous as normal spandex so that the latex when stretched wouldn't seem to separate as much. I'd definitely love to see how your fabric came out so I sent a friend request!

I know I should start soon on this costume but I'm just so bogged down by the latex and all those panels to cut out and put together to create the color blocking in the jumpsuit.....I usually work better under stress lol so maybe I'll wait 2 days before the con and just slam it together hahahaha!

I rubberized my Siren fabric off my body and it is fine but when you stretch it, the weave seperates.

If you decide to rubberize your spandex after the entire suit is sewn you will have to stand completely still while each layer dries.

I put 4 coats on my silver fabric, the 5th coat I had sprayed onto me while wearing the costume.

If I bent or moved around, the liquid latex will stick to other parts of your suits thus screwing up the smoothness and you get bumps the places you didn't stand straight.

Especially in the crotch area of your suit. Your butt naturally curves in obviously. If you spray or paint in there you will wind up having a mess of latex all stuck together and all that hard work on your suit destroyed.

That is exactly why I applied the latex onto the fabric, now, I am sewin' up my suit.

The rubberized fabric sews fine by the way, it is just getting all stuck together when you turn it inside out. Oh, and I had to cut my pattern opposite grain on the fabric so I wouldn't get the weave pulling apart from the latex but now, I am working with spandex that has next to no stretch but the weave and latex look much better.

Yeah, not an easy task doing any of this I can tell you that. I think I am one of the 1st on here so far to rubberize the fabric and start sewing it. It is not going to be easy at all.

I am sure for the Siren costumes made for the movie, they made all those patterns in a computer to their exact measurements, but who knows exactly how they got that fabric rubberized. I have a friend I can talk to that worked on the movie, not sure if she will reveal anything to me about this but I am gonna ask, I have been meaning too. I asked how the Quorra suit was made last year before I started mine and she never got back to me.

I have photos of my rubberized fabric and me wearing the silver part only of my suit all up on my facebook page if you wanna see, you have to add me though.

Annissë Damefatale | Facebook

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back