TOS Type II Phaser Replica (my final attempt (no, really))

I am free & clear to navigate!
20231002_165349 (1).jpg
20231002_165226.jpg

Hit a small snag here- the metal rear fins don't fit this print, nor should they- they were specifically designed for replacing the DST ones.
2 choices: make the best of the accurate (but not metal) fins and make them look metal-y with a chrome pen & Future floor wax, or buy thick sheet aluminum and cut and bend and sand & polish & glue & hope for the best.
Not having any metal working specific equipment I'm leaning towards the first choice. Sheet aluminum bends a lot while cutting & dents a lot....
I'm not endeavouring to produce an idealized piece. Just an amazing reproduction of an on set 60's prop!

Dishware Furniture Table Tableware Rectangle

If you mean the printed piece, I did hand file it. It's pretty smooth now.
If you mean the metal piece, taking any off the top or bottom would unbalance the look.

Yeah, I figured that out after your previous post. I was thinking that the inner opening that grips the shells was too narrow. Ah, well.

Hit a small snag here- the metal rear fins don't fit this print, nor should they- they were specifically designed for replacing the DST ones.
2 choices: make the best of the accurate (but not metal) fins and make them look metal-y with a chrome pen & Future floor wax, or buy thick sheet aluminum and cut and bend and sand & polish & glue & hope for the best.
Not having any metal working specific equipment I'm leaning towards the first choice. Sheet aluminum bends a lot while cutting & dents a lot....
I'm not endeavouring to produce an idealized piece. Just an amazing reproduction of an on set 60's prop!
Just take the difference out of the bottom where the fins mount no one will know.

IF you mean the space between the fins where it mounts to the P2 body you won't know and you can adjust the fins as needed. Some of the hero fins fit more closely than others.

JPL's fins were designed for the DST's and most conventional kits....

Like I said earlier put some mid fins on it an go for gusto lol

Last edited:
The metal fins are too thick vertically. They can't be sanded or the fins lose uniform thickness. If I sand the body to fit it as is, the tail section looks wrong losing too much to the metal fins. I will make it work somehow.
Not really if you make the width so the fit correctly you could do like on the Jein an have that lil space in the body so they line up correctly.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back