TOS BSG Studio Scale Antique viper

mslz22

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey Guys, so this is one of those projects that has made it's way to my bench....A SS TOS Antique viper.....See the link below for more info on how this all started but the quick story is that this was initiated by Jesse, taken 95 yards down field by Mark Bradley and the last 5 yards by me....

This is based off of the JM kit, also know as the old custom replicas kit, so while it is Studio Scale, it is not as large as my size corrected 15 1/2 inch TOS viper. Because it is based off of the JM kit it would be a great companion kit to the Icons, custom replicas, JMeyers, or even the monsters in motion kits that are out there...basically any kit that originates from that lineage.

Mark B really did a nice job on this, it does have it's idiosyncrasies and small imperfections due to the fact that it is based on the fore-mentioned kits that have lineage back to the studio models.

The only thing I really changed on this was to swap out the squished afterburners with afterburners that were grown by Mike Reis, which are cool because they are clean, round, and Mike was able to "shrink" the leo part down to match the model, if i had tried to replace the burners with a real kit part, the kit part would be about 10% too big.

This is the first test cast and is not glued up, just cobbled together. I hope to get this glued up and maybe even painted up shortly. I may be offering a very limited amount of these so PM me if you are interested in one.....good news is that they will be cheap by SS standards....if you want to know how cheap PM me...

PS, missing from the pic is the thingy that goes around the lower intakes...

thanks
mike

http://www.therpf.com/f10/next-thing-i-need-1949/

Thanks so much to everyone who helped make this possible! That list starts with Gary, works it's way through a ton of folks who helped with kit ID's (Mark, Steve, Jason, and others!) and then of course thanks to Mark B for the pattern and Mike S for taking it home. I can't wait to finally have this ship to add to the shelf. I dont know why, but I've always loved it. Thanks for making it, and keeping it cheap Mike. I know your not going to do many, so dont sleep on this one folks.

Like most of my builds, this was a quick test shot, had a lot of fun with it, it was a really easy assembly as there is not much to put together. Did a quick base coat 1 night and did the green stripes today in between some casting work....a little heavy handed on the weathering but it's supposed to be really old....right?
mike

Oh man Mike- you did a nice job 'throwing' that paint job together!! I can't wait to see one of these casts in person!!

Mark

Very cool looking, now get a Robber like charter guy in that cockpit, and you have a winner.

Actually, Robber didn't fly this one- the 'Croad' character did (they guy with the beard). Aaaannnd... if you look closely, you'll see that he is indeed in there:

1302970981_df70fd40cf_z.jpg

Right on, very awesome, and yeah I threw out as a test to see if you would catch that bone I tossed out. I have Ted Gehring's (Croad) uniform from the episode "The Long Patrol"

Very cool looking, now get a Robber like charter guy in that cockpit, and you have a winner.

Right on, very awesome, and yeah I threw out as a test to see if you would catch that bone I tossed out. I have Ted Gehring's (Croad) uniform from the episode "The Long Patrol"

So I passed the test?? Yeaa!! Jim S. has the 'Robber' uniform- small world...

I think we just derailed this thread. Back to the Antique Viper...

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back