Toronto Prop Party Official Date - June 25th 2011

Re: Toronto Prop Party - Interest thread

I'd be interested, pending date/location like others here. I'd be coming in from Cambridge, with one or both kids in tow. (my 8 year old son at least)

I only have a Graflex sabre, so nothing to show off myself, but would like to see what other people have/created!

Personally I'm not one for downtown TO, just not a big city guy. Close to 401 might be good. Mississauga ok too.

Tim

Depending on whether or not they have available wifi connection, what do you guys think about doing a little u-stream session from the prop party so that members from elsewhere can check out whats going on?

@Mods-maybe this can be suggested to some of the other prop party crews as well? Be a great way to check out whats going on...even just a short 15-30 minute feed from each party?

Just curious if the prop party is going to be open to/advertised to the public? The one David held wasn't open (or at least not advertised) to the public which meant we didn't have to babysit out props. I can see it being fun to have it open but would suggest that perhaps a few hours could be set aside before or after the doors open to the public where we could all just check out each other's props and mingle without the worry of our pretties growing legs. I am game either way.

Just curious if the prop party is going to be open to/advertised to the public? The one David held wasn't open (or at least not advertised) to the public which meant we didn't have to babysit out props. I can see it being fun to have it open but would suggest that perhaps a few hours could be set aside before or after the doors open to the public where we could all just check out each other's props and mingle without the worry of our pretties growing legs. I am game either way.

I wouldn't open something like this to the general public. Keep it about our group, our hobby, the work WE do and the fun WE have meeting up whenever possible.
Open to the public will restrict location access as not all places allow you to run a private room as 'open for business' to all sort-of-thing...and besides, if anyone does wander in, they'd be simply curious more so than anything else. People may wander in, but I wouldn't go as far as to make this an open party to the public thing...:cool

David

I'm into watch collecting, we've had watch meets, always private venue. Most I've seen is usually hotel staff or the like being more curious about what all the hubbub is about. :)

Tim

Quite valid points David, and as I said, it was fun having it private, so I wouldn't complain. :)

In terms of open to the public I was thinking that it would be advertised like a comic con or something so it wouldn't just be passers by, but rather people who would be interested in movie/TV related nerdery. But, that's an expense, and a lot of planning, and probably not something that makes sense in a (sophomore) venture such as this. I just envision complete strangers to the hobby finding it so much fun that they want to get into it too.

I agree that an "open" event would be a bad idea. By all means though invite some nerd friends! Perhaps lead to more RPF members. :)

I'm in and depending on location I've got a few things of interest,

storm trooper
B9
terminator
C3P0
and more..

OK, I'm glad we're gaining interest in this.
So far the best suggestion I've heard has been Dave & Busters in Vaughan.
Dave & Busters
Hotel party rooms or community centres may lack an outside 'fun' element or theme. We'd be set up in room, with little to do outside of the room.
At least Dave and Busters will provide more of a party experience.

The only problem I have at this point is ensuring that there will be some privacy to the room we get. Anyone who brings their treasured props will not want to leave them unattended.

Also, for more than 20 people, we'd require a larger room and they charge extra for a 'mandatory' buffet, which might not be a bad thing if we've got kids coming.

The lady I was speaking to did not return my call today so I'll have to give her a call again tomorrow.

OK, I'm glad we're gaining interest in this.
So far the best suggestion I've heard has been Dave & Busters in Vaughan.

Hotel party rooms or community centres may lack an outside 'fun' element or theme. We'd be set up in room, with little to do outside of the room.
At least Dave and Busters will provide more of a party experience.

The only problem I have at this point is ensuring that there will be some privacy to the room we get. Anyone who brings their treasured props will not want to leave them unattended.

Not a bad idea but IIRC the D&B in Vaughan is pretty noisy and not very private. Make sure you (or someone) pay a visit to the room to make sure it'll work. :)

It does have a great location though right off the 400 and lots of free parking.

Well, it looks to me like we have a good start. Possible time and location.

Thanks for all the work Caveneau. Keep it up :thumbsup

Not a bad idea but IIRC the D&B in Vaughan is pretty noisy and not very private. Make sure you (or someone) pay a visit to the room to make sure it'll work. :)

It does have a great location though right off the 400 and lots of free parking.

I agree, that's the only issue at this point.
The lady from D & B called me about an hour ago, I couldn't talk, so now I'm chasing her down again.

So, I want a 'private' room, with max capacity greater than 20 people.

They sent me a floor plan layout of the areas availalbe for rent, only problem is, the areas shown are not closed off to the public. So I need to clear up a few points with them.

However, many have mentioned that perhaps having it open to the public might be fun, I agree, but for those bringing their own props, my primary concern is making sure all possessions are safe and attended at all times.

Even if we get a private room, we might need to leave the room at some point, so there still may be times where your props may be unattended. For those bringing friends, maybe they could hang back and watch your stuff while you step out. This may be the case whether we have a private room or not.

Plus I'm sure we'll have more than 20 people showing up, if we're bringing friends, family, or open to the public.

I'll keep you posted.

I'm sure we can all make sure that everyone's stuff is watched. (Please disregard my earlier post about watching David's booth :love)

It may not be ideal, but if there are going to be some SW costumes (501st?), droids, as well as whatever other cool props and costumes show up, we'll basically be putting on a free show for D&B's...

Even if its not advertised as a "prop show" the other patrons that day will get a treat they didn't expect.

They sent me a floor plan layout of the areas availalbe for rent, only problem is, the areas shown are not closed off to the public.

This concerns me greatly. To be perfectly honest I don't want to have to spend the whole party paranoid about some person wandering in and stealing something off my table while I'm looking at someone else's stuff. If it's wide open to everyone there's no comfort level there for me unless I stay at my table at all times.

Definitely would like a private room with a door but that's just me. Also, if it's D&B and there's no door it does get very noisy there. I think I know the spot that they would be putting us and it's open right between the arcade, pool tables, and lunch/dinner customers.

As much as there isn't anything "exciting" outside of the room at a hotel or rec-centre I'd feel safer with my items there. Still looking forward to coming though!

I know this, believe me. I'm trying to get an answer from them but everytime I call, the person's always busy, so I left another message.
I stated that we want a 'private' room for max capacity for more than 20 people.

At this point, it seems that having it 'open' to the public and advertising it, is not going to be possible because we want to ensure all props will be kept safe and secure. We could invite people later once we've confirmed a private room.

Regarding costuming...If we're going to have a private room, it shouldn't be an issue. If people in costumes want to roam around freely, I think you're on your own on that one. I'll check with D & B and see what they say.

Also, D & B opens at 11:30am I believe, so if we need to go earlier to set up, they will charge extra for that. I think it's $100 flat rate, at least that's what the brochure said. The minimum cost for the smaller room(which we don't want because it's 20 people max) is $30 p/hour.

We could set the arrival time for 11am for those wanting to setup, and
12pm for the actual start time(arrival time).

If we want to have it in a hotel, there are a lot of hotels to choose from, so I don't want to start second-guessing the location. For those who say a hotel conference room is better, perhaps you could do your own research into it, then provide me the details.
Like Orange_Blend suggested in an earlier post, at some point the location will be chosen.

I'll wait for their call back and see where it goes.

Personally, I'm not in a huge rush for this. I'd rather have it well planned hopefully by the end of April.

If we want to have it in a hotel, there are a lot of hotels to choose from, so I don't want to start second-guessing the location. For those who say a hotel conference room is better, perhaps you could do your own research into it, then provide me the details.

Here's a head start:

Toronto Event Venues & Banquet Halls for Weddings, Social and Corporate Events - EventSource.ca

Search by need and venue size and you get plenty of options.

Just throwing this out as a possible maybe.
Would having it at a house work ?
Lets just say I may know of a house in the Queen and Woodbine area.
Parking would be rough, public transit would be easy.
It would be warm enough we could spark up the bbq in the back yard.
Spread people out through the living room, kitchen and back yard, tons of space.
Any thoughts ?
Scott

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back