Toronto Prop Makers

Hi all, not a prop maker but I'm from ontario as well and a huge Batman fan. Looking to get a few gun props made. Feel free to pm me if you can help me out..thanks

My Proton Pack...not overly happy with it, rushed to get it done.

What aren't you happy with? I think it looks great. :) I'm looking to buy one if you're selling... ;)

Orange, you wouldn't happen to be a part of the Civil War Historical re-enactment group?

Nope, although I do have pretty extensive ties into the re-enactment community. Primarily with Revolutionary War, 1812, and WW2.

Re-enactment is something I'd like to give a try one day but I don't have anywhere near the time to do it!

What aren't you happy with? I think it looks great. :) I'm looking to buy one if you're selling... ;)
I just am not happy with the fact that I rushed to get it done and let things slide more than I normally would. I am a detail freak when it comes to GB props and the pack was my dream prop, so rushing and making concessions on it was a bit of a let down. I appreciate your compliments on it though! We're all our own harshest critics.

Not sure if I'll be selling any time soon or not, I'd be happy to help you build one if I can though. :)

Not sure if I'll be selling any time soon or not, I'd be happy to help you build one if I can though. :)

It was worth a shot... :)

My problem is I thought of this too late and I'm 99% sure I wouldn't finish one by Halloween which is when I need it for. Thanks though! If I to build one I'll remember to pop you a PM.

I'm in Hamilton myself, but was born and raised in T.O. and still visit from time to time as my Parents still live there.

I'm more into costuming than prop collecting (but I do have a modest prop collection). Mostly Aliens and Star Trek stuff (Batman, The Terminator and other various sci-fi/action films round out the collection).

I'm also into some model building, and collecting airsoft (when I can get my hands on it :lol :rolleyes).

Kevin

I'm more south near Windsor but have met a few people on this thread and will be at Fan Expo this weekend. Hope to see the ghostbuster again :D

I was going to go to Fanexpo, but when they upped the price to $35, I decided against it.

It's a total madhouse there, and having to pay $35 for the honour of waiting in lines for hours was not on my list of funs things to do.

Canadian Customs is a complete joke. I'm convinced that having an IQ lower than 10 is a requirement to work there!

As for what I collect it's a matter of "whatcha got?" ;). I collect old newspapers, the oldest one I have being a report on Washington crossing the Delaware. As for firearms I don't mess with the replicas, I get the real things. My collection is full of guns from the 1800's through to about the mid 20th century. I also have a lot of gear, I work in film and television and I've been prop master on a few war films so I've got a small army brewing in my basement.

As for reproductions I do mostly paper items. I'm working on a Magna Carta replica (which is being a PITA at the moment...) but I also do a lot of military paperwork.

I do some blacksmithing as well and want to get more into that so I see some "smithy" type replicas in my future as well.

You sound like someone I used to know in Oakville. Was a gun supplier (as props) for movies. I had the opportunity to not only hold, but to fire many guns used in some well known movies.

Myself, I live in Cambridge. I'd love to build props, but not a lot of time to myself to do so. (on top of hobbies, such as watch repair)

My only props at moment, soon to be complete Graflex Luke ANH light sabre. And Omega Seamaster Professional (James Bond watch).

Tim

You sound like someone I used to know in Oakville. Was a gun supplier (as props) for movies. I had the opportunity to not only hold, but to fire many guns used in some well known movies.

Myself, I live in Cambridge. I'd love to build props, but not a lot of time to myself to do so. (on top of hobbies, such as watch repair)

My only props at moment, soon to be complete Graflex Luke ANH light sabre. And Omega Seamaster Professional (James Bond watch).

Tim

I used to live in Oakville. :) I think I may even know who you're talking about although at the moment his name escapes me. Was he ex-French military?

I used to live in Oakville. :) I think I may even know who you're talking about although at the moment his name escapes me. Was he ex-French military?

I don't think so. Not sure if it helps (not gonna name names in case), I used to shoot at the Burlington rifle/gun club.

Tim

I don't think so. Not sure if it helps (not gonna name names in case), I used to shoot at the Burlington rifle/gun club.

Tim

I'm a current member. :D

But I think we may be talking about two different people. The guy I knew did all the guns for X-Men and was from France.

I'm a current member. :D

But I think we may be talking about two different people. The guy I knew did all the guns for X-Men and was from France.

Cool. I started with .22 long rifle target competing, then went and bought a Colt 1911 .45 set up for IPSC. No longer have any guns though.

Person I knew, had supplied for the Police Academy movies.

Tim

Hello. I've had some time to do some more work on my scratch built sci fi gun.

I built using cardboard, then body fillered over it. It's not very strong, that's what sucks, but as long as I don't bend it or crush it, it should be ok. I'm spraying it down with clear sealer now, just to harden it up a bit and then I'm going to paint it flat black to begin.

I've sanded the spot putty since I've taken these pictures so it's completely smooth.

After I've painted it I will insert a metal cylinder into the center hollow and drill out the barrel.

Last edited:
Favourite Hobby Shops?

What are your favourite hobby shops? I usually go to North Star Hobbies and Panther Hobbies. I live in Etobicoke so those are closest to me. I don't bother going downtown much anymore unless I need something that I absolutely can't find anywhere else.

I'm obsessed with finding old toy guns that I can repaint.

I found one today. It's from some old game system as it 'had' a yellow and white AV cables. Anyway, it felt surprisingly sturdy and well made and the trigger had a nice 'click' and for $3.99...

Last edited:
Hey all. I'm located in Hagersville, about a half hour south of Hamilton. So far I've been mainly into costuming but as I get better at that the prop-making gets to be more of a required skill. lol

Mad Max and Captain John Hart are my most ambitious projects so far. My others are mostly variations on some kind of combat trooper. Stargate, G.I. Joe (the comic, dear lord not the movie) etc.

Caveneau - You said you were able to get Denix replicas. Customs didn't give you any hassles? I'm working on a ANH Solo outfit right now and just ordered a resin kit (which will be a first for me to put together as well. :$ ) but I'd love to mod out a metal Mauser if I can find one.

Caveneau - You said you were able to get Denix replicas. Customs didn't give you any hassles? I'm working on a ANH Solo outfit right now and just ordered a resin kit (which will be a first for me to put together as well. :$ ) but I'd love to mod out a metal Mauser if I can find one.

The only Denix replicas i own are the western 'revolvers'.
They are also the ONLY ones that are sold in Canada.

Apparently anything categorized as "modern" as per the Denix.es website, is banned in Canada.

Drill bit Grinder?

Hello, I have a 3/4 drill bit, primarily used for wood, but I have been drilling holes into 'Smoothcast 325' and the drill bit is now worn down.
Can anyone recommend a specific type of grinder that I can buy?
Or is it cheaper to take it somewhere, if so, where?
I'm sure there's toolshops around but I don't want to have to go through this all the time.

From what I've read, I can buy a basic grinder and then buy an additional attachment for the angle positioning. I don't know much about this, but I'd like to keep my costs under $100 if possible.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back