Tomb Raider Reborn

Thanks Flyaway! We're having a little too much fun over here.

Kristenhenry70 - You are just ridiculously awesome (and a lifesaver on this costume)!

1. Send me all your gauze!

2. I do have a bunch of D rings. What matching hooks are you talking about? More D-rings? Right now my quiver attachment is literally just a green web belt looking thing from Joann's threaded through the leather cording on the quiver.

3. Nice. I've been trying to find some at the local Marshalls/TJ Maxx/Ross, which normally have them, but of course they don't now.

4. Good to know about that pouch! I'll definitely check out the link Division 6 posted.

5. I'm not going to worry about the rope for now. Maybe for Dragoncon (along with the pick axe).

Thanks Flyaway! We're having a little too much fun over here.

Kristenhenry70 - You are just ridiculously awesome (and a lifesaver on this costume)!

1. Send me all your gauze!

2. I do have a bunch of D rings. What matching hooks are you talking about? More D-rings? Right now my quiver attachment is literally just a green web belt looking thing from Joann's threaded through the leather cording on the quiver.

3. Nice. I've been trying to find some at the local Marshalls/TJ Maxx/Ross, which normally have them, but of course they don't now.

4. Good to know about that pouch! I'll definitely check out the link Division 6 posted.

5. I'm not going to worry about the rope for now. Maybe for Dragoncon (along with the pick axe).

The hooks are a spring loaded device that comes on the gas mask bag that I took the strap and d rings from. I'll send you a pic of them on FB. I can just send you two of them and you can sew them onto your quiver at the top and bottom. they will hook right onto your d rings.

as to the d rings being put on your sling, if you look at her sling (and mine) you can see that there is a second piece of webbing attached to the sling which holds the d rings on. There also seems to be some cord or clips wrapped around the extra piece of webbing to hold the d rings in place.

I just put one d ring at the top of my shoulder (Like Lara's) and then put the second down at a point just before the bottom of my quiver. That way i can attach the quiver with the two hooks, or take it off and put on a shotgun scabbard (which i haven't made yet).

Don't worry... I can send you all you need in a neat little care package :D

K.

You are beyond amazing Kristen. I can't thank you enough! I might need a little instruction booklet with the hardware. :p

I'm mainly becoming dissatisfied with my quiver. I'm wondering if it's too obvious that mine's a painted cardboard tube. (What do you think of my holster? I like the fit, for sure and I think the hardware is accurate. I know the the overlapping piece over the gun needs to be a little more triangular and with that magazine pocket over it. But that's all I can see. Thoughts?)

No problem... I can even make up a pictorial tutorial (nice rhyme) to help you along if you like.

In your pics I thought your quiver looked super awesome. however, I imagine that you're just like me in that if you aren't satisfied with something it will gnaw at you until you eventually change it.

Do you want me to make you one...? :p

I love your holster! If I had it I would prolly take a wire wheel to it to distress the crap out of it (as I seem to do with every prop I have:p) but I think it is made far better and more accurate than mine. Adding the mag pouch and d d rings should be fairly easy. stick with that holster... it's cool!

K.

Re: Re: Tomb Raider Reborn

No problem... I can even make up a pictorial tutorial (nice rhyme) to help you along if you like.

In your pics I thought your quiver looked super awesome. however, I imagine that you're just like me in that if you aren't satisfied with something it will gnaw at you until you eventually change it.

Do you want me to make you one...? :p

I love your holster! If I had it I would prolly take a wire wheel to it to distress the crap out of it (as I seem to do with every prop I have:p) but I think it is made far better and more accurate than mine. Adding the mag pouch and d d rings should be fairly easy. stick with that holster... it's cool!

K.

LadyNerd, I think Kristen needs an enabler and picked you! :p

Kristen.
I posted a link to the pouch in my first post on them.
Google image search brings up a lot of sites selling them.
The one I linked was $2 less than the first site I looked at so shop around.

This image I found the other day (high res PC version) looks like the rope is Green and Black.
8595239571_3907da51ef_b.jpg

TLN, not sure what they loops in the back are for but if it's a military belt them most likely they are for hanging pouches and other gear.
WW2 Sam Brown belts may be something to look into.

For how many arrows?
I think full (40) you only see 10.

To me the loops look like they're for hanging a dress sword or dagger off of. The sword or dagger scabbard would have straps coming off of them which would in turn clip into those rings. Judging by the color and shape of the rings my first guess would be Russian or some other Eastern European but almost certainly not American.

Another tip for weathering/coloring, watered down acrylic paint. Once you get acrylic in fabric (any fabric natural or synthetic) it's never coming out once it's dry, not even after repeated washings. I've even dyed nylon using watered down acrylics before and it never chipped, peeled, or cracked even after being in the desert training grounds of 29 Palms several times.

kristenhenry70 - I've mainly never made a quiver before, so I'm trying to figure out a balance between what is accurate for a real quiver and the in-game design. I think I like the shape of mine, but your materials/distressing better.

A wire wheel on the holster? Hm...it's made out of a shoulder hide so it's fairly stiff. Maybe I just need to break it in or possibly throw it around in the dirt of a little bit?

Astrokid248 - Hey, if it helps my costume look better and makes Kristen happy, I'm all for it! :)

Riceball - Watered down acrylic paint is exactly what I've been using to distress my costume. :)

Well you might be able to just take yours and cover it over with my canvas and distress it differently. that way you have the best of both: your shape and my material.

I was just kidding about the wire wheel! Yours will wear in just fine. it takes years for a holster to get that kind of look, though... which is why i was soooo excited to find this one lying in the bottom of a box! I snatched it up right off, and I have thought about the fact that though i'm working on having a more accurate one made, it's not going to have as much character out of the box as this one already has.

I may just change the belt on mine, and go with it as is. After all, as we both know distressing and dirtying are the keys to getting this look down and setting oneself apart from the crowd.

Well... except for when it comes to Yourself and Jenn.... you're both already set apart :D

K.

If anyone try's to make one remember that when Lara finds the first one she says it has numbers on the side.

Might be cool to have a couple hanging off the belt with little flashing lights in them.

You guys are doing an amazing job with all of the small details. It's making me so eager to revamp my costume, as I put mine together before the game was released and as I played it I noticed so many things that need to change!

This thread is full of awesome all around! If anyone comes across an extra of the correct walkie and is looking to sell, let me know. I'm striking out so far.

This thread is full of awesome all around! If anyone comes across an extra of the correct walkie and is looking to sell, let me know. I'm striking out so far.

Bummer! I had just sent my extra to TheLadyNerd :-(

But keep trying... It took me about three weeks to come across these on Ebay. I watched other sets go for 50-75$ a pair... but I just kept waiting until i finally got my pair for 40$ shipped.

The thing about Ebay is that you almost have to become obsessed in your quest... check every day, several times a day. Because you just never know when someone is going to newly list just what you've wanted.

K.

Being bored I started looking at leather holsters.
That style with the pouch on the side pops up for German and Russian.

Slap to the head in a Doh!!! moment since the guy she got it from was Russian.
BUT, the ring things on the back indicate WW2 German Officers belt.
The D rings are used for suspender type straps.
There where Germans on the Island in WW2 at the research facility.

Either way the cover flap was removed and the bottom cut off to hold the Colt M1911.

Last edited:
Being bored I started looking at leather holsters.
That style with the pouch on the side pops up for German and Russian.

Slap to the head in a Doh!!! moment since the guy she got it from was Russian.
BUT, the ring things on the back indicate WW2 German Officers belt.
The D rings are used for suspender type straps.
There where Germans on the Island in WW2 at the research facility.

Either way the cover flap was removed and the bottom cut off to hold the Colt M1911.

Hmmm... I still think the holster is something else. It clearly does have slits in it so a belt can pass through it, so the idea of the flap being cut off *may* be right, though looking at the figure that came with the game and also at the in game model the front of the holster has a rising edge to it, s if it was cut off, it was done crookedly.

As for the d rings, I don't think they're German suspender keepers. For one thing, there are only three of them, not four. also, they are grouped right together all in the back, whereas on web gear there would be two in the front and one or two in the back, but they aren't moveable and are usually fixed in place on the belt.

Actually, come to think of it, on German Web gear the suspenders have hooks that just hook under the belt without d rings attached to the actual belt.

Not sure about Russian web gear, but again the fact that there are three grouped together all in back suggests this isn't an as-is item and was probably customized by it's Solarii owner.

Also, the shape of the German and Russian holsters is more tapered to the barrels of their respective pistols, whereas this one is more squared off, and though it does taper down it doesn't seem to be as curvy as the aforementioned holsters are.

It's really hard to say what was used for the basis of this. To get as close as I could, i used a WWII .45 1911 shoulder holster. I'm thinking of cutting slots in it and passing a belt through it instead of using the strap that it currently has on it. But it's already a perfect fit for the 1911, and I used that slit cut in it around the trigger guard area to clip on a spare mag pouch.

K.

Bummer! I had just sent my extra to TheLadyNerd :-(

But keep trying... It took me about three weeks to come across these on Ebay. I watched other sets go for 50-75$ a pair... but I just kept waiting until i finally got my pair for 40$ shipped.

The thing about Ebay is that you almost have to become obsessed in your quest... check every day, several times a day. Because you just never know when someone is going to newly list just what you've wanted.

K.

No worries. I'd rather the real ladies on here get one before I do. ;)

I'll keep my eye on ebay. There's bound to be one/a pair show up at some point.

Kristen you are probably right.
You don't by chance work at a Surplus Store do you.

I know nothing about guns and only spent 5 minutes looking.
The whole rig actually looks to be a mish mash of different gear.

My first thought was to look into US 1911 holsters (never got that far) since the German and Russian where the ones that came up with that small pouch in the side.

The German belts I saw had 2 D rings and a square one (3 total) and they where kept in area by a strap on the inside so they had some movement.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back