Thor: Love & Thunder

Zeus was the best part of the movie. The guy still has it. I think what kinda messed up the movie was letting Thors lines go too long. They needed to cut them in editing and pick up the pace of it overall. I think you could make a new edit of this movie and really improve it if you just cut down on how long each jokey dialog was.

I just watched this finally on D+ last night. Oddly enough I think that's the grade I would give it, too.

I love the humor and definitely succeeded there, but at the same time also had this odd secondary thought going on where I was also thinking, "Geeze... this kinda sucks, too." Usually NOT funny and bad story go hand-in-hand, but at least in this case I was laughing for a lot of it.

As a Marvel film I don't think it was treated very well, and Thor has become far less serious over time than he used to be. I absolutely loved the humor of the original Thor and his awkwardness of getting used to Earth for several films, but even after Ragnarok (which I very much enjoyed) this one went pretty ballistic on the goofy, almost parodying itself.

I was EXTREMELY surprised how abrupt the moment Foster went from scientist to Thor with absolutely nothing transitioning between that point (later explained of course). The film as a whole was extremely disjointed and felt like I was watching snippets of things with very little character/plot development. It seemed like a waste of good characters overall as much as I enjoyed the humor. I'm not sure I could watch it again to be honest.

That's pretty much my thoughts. I thought it was like watching a Mel Brooks parody of a Marvel movie. I really liked the last Thor movie because I think it had the right amount of comedy. This one skipped funny and went straight to stupid. I just didn't laugh at most of it. The funniest thing was probably Korg narrating and saying that Thor never skipped a leg day, which referred to Chris Hemsworth's brother making fun of his legs in a post while filming. Overall it just made Thor look like an idiot, whereas before it was because he wasn't familiar with Earth.

I also couldn't understand why they just transitioned Jane to Thor and really didn't give us much of an explanation except "Now she's Thor..." I didn't like Zeus at all. I think they wasted Russel Crowe. Zeus just came off like an even bigger idiot than Thor.

I thought it was like watching a Mel Brooks parody of a Marvel movie.
I thought Zeus felt like he was from a Mel Brooks movie.( I mentioned it earlier in this thread). I had not considered the whole thing was like a Mel Brooks parody of Marvel. It did have that feel. The more I get removed from it the less I want to see it again, whereas Ragnorak i can watch whenever it’s on.

It is absolutely a self parody. I agree. "whoever this guy is" was just kinda terrible. I got to the "Maybe your arm is in Valhalla" scene and turned it off. Just a whole lot of no thank you for me. Beyond the childish comedy, I thought it was painfully bad storytelling. Ragnarok had this kind of comedy in it but it was still decent storytelling and character development. This was not.

Have to agree with many of the sentiments here…

We watched it last night, and it probably ranks as the worst MCU movie to date for me… The silliness of the whole thing was just way over the top.

Sean

I forgot to add that I REALLY liked the Thor: Ragnarok movie. This one was just too much. I'd say it's probably my least favorite Marvel movie overall. I never read the comics, just liked the tv shows and movies, so maybe I'm missing something, I don't know.

Nothing in this movie advanced Thor, as a character. Even a lot of the jokes were recycled from Ragnarok. The action was really dull and the characters were uninteresting. Portman was always a bad fit for the MCU and this movie proves it again. Thor was written as a complete buffoon and an insufferable a-hole. This film is just 2 hours of Taika defacating on Thor's story and showing his disdain for the MCU franchise.

Last edited:
I dunno. I watched it and I don't get everyone's criticisms of it. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm fine with there being far less serious films in the MCU that are just a change of pace from the usual more serious material.

I've never loved Portman in these films, but I thought she was the best she's been in this film mostly because they gave her character something to do other than just be pretty and "no, really, trust us she's brilliant because we told you she's brilliant." They did more to show the relationship between Thor and Jane in this film than in any of the other films, and I appreciated that.

I thought Thor's character did have a journey that made sense, given what he's experienced, and I'm fine with the films exploring him as a bit of a "himbo." I think it will also help sell the moments where he gets grim and ass-kickey if we have something other than that as his "default setting." And really, that thread was always there for him, even in the first film. He learned responsibility and grew less self-entitled, but he's always been who he is at the core: a fun-loving dude who can channel thunder and lightning.

Caught this on D+ over this past weekend.

Like so many movies today, it’s destined to be one of those movies that I will have forgotten that I watched, within a few weeks time. I would call this one pretty much “junk food cinema”.

I’m glad I didn’t pay to catch this in the theater.

Last edited:
I've never cared for goofball Thor. I didn't think Ragnarok was very good and this one is about the same. I'll take Dark World over either of these.

I've never cared for goofball Thor. I didn't think Ragnarok was very good and this one is about the same. I'll take Dark World over either of these.
See, I find The Dark World almost wholly forgettable. I enjoyed Ragnarok and Love & Thunder much more. Dark World just...didn't really have a lot to it, I found. Jane felt shoehorned in, even moreso than she did in the first film where at least she makes sense as Thor's main human contact. Their relationship feels at once strained and unbelievable.

Honestly, the past two films that featured Jane are, I think, this film's achilles heel. Because they never really bothered to develop Jane's character, it's just too much to do to bring her up to where she needs to be for this film. Same goes for their relationship. It was always underdeveloped and just kind of hand-waived. Like, "These are two pretty people who are your romantic leads, so just accept that they're together and very into each other because...uh...reasons. Plus, look how pretty! Aren't they pretty? They sure are pretty, huh?" But it has nothing to do with what's really shown on screen. It's never made clear why these two people would have an attraction to each other beyond just the physical, so by the time you get to this film, there's so much heavy lifting to be done to sell that relationship that it would overwhelm the film to really devote all the time you need to make Jane into a real character, and make the relationship into something that makes any sense.

I tend to think this is mostly due to the format of films themselves. Because you're constrained to a 2-ish hour runtime, especially for a film that's part of a series, you simply don't have the time to do character development if it hasn't already happened in whatever films you saw before. Tony's sacrifice in Endgame, for example, works because we've spent multiple films with him as a jerkwad playboy, then as a guy who has a sort of jerkwad playboy exterior, but who's moving in the right direction, and finally as a man who -- as Cap says back in the first Avengers -- is willing to dive on the grenade for the sake of all existence. That's real character development, but what's critical is that it's happened over a long span of films rather than trying to just take him from jerkwad playboy to universal savior in a single film. Imagine if they'd had him make that sacrifice if his character had only ever been what we see in the first two Iron Man films. It would feel...off. Unearned. Too forced.

I felt less of that with Thor's character in this film (the changes he went thru felt like they fit to me, given what we've seen before), but Jane's growth felt a bit rushed.

I dunno. I watched it and I don't get everyone's criticisms of it. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm fine with there being far less serious films in the MCU that are just a change of pace from the usual more serious material.

I've never loved Portman in these films, but I thought she was the best she's been in this film mostly because they gave her character something to do other than just be pretty and "no, really, trust us she's brilliant because we told you she's brilliant." They did more to show the relationship between Thor and Jane in this film than in any of the other films, and I appreciated that.

I thought Thor's character did have a journey that made sense, given what he's experienced, and I'm fine with the films exploring him as a bit of a "himbo." I think it will also help sell the moments where he gets grim and ass-kickey if we have something other than that as his "default setting." And really, that thread was always there for him, even in the first film. He learned responsibility and grew less self-entitled, but he's always been who he is at the core: a fun-loving dude who can channel thunder and lightning.
I thought Dark World was forgettable. I don't need Thor to be "serious" all the time. I thought Ragnarok was great for striking a good balance between the humor and the drama. Ragnarok had humor but remained anchored to a dramatic core of the story about his love for his father, his brother and, ultimately for the Asgardian people. I like that stuff. But in L&T his character lost those moorings entirely as he degenerated into complete farce.

Thor has a relationship with Jane in this movie but, it seems like his relationships with, say, Sif and even Valkyrie were more developed and organic - even if they both had less screen time than Jane.

Gorr's "origin" was just contrived. At the very apex of Gorr's suffering he suddenly encounters both his god, Rapu, who is about to kill him on a whim and a magical weapon that just happens to kill gods.

I agree that a serious dramatic arc wasn't essential to this movie. I like "fun" Thor, but he stepped too far out of character in L&T. Where in Ragnarok and Endgame Thor had a veneer of charming bravado, in L&T he didn't even give a darn about anybody but himself. e.g. when he destroyed that precious crystal tower thingie as collateral damage in the beginning. They could have even had Thor be charmingly embarrassed, but instead he was just completely oblivious. I didn't think that was funny.

And there's nothing heroic about how he got the bolt from Zeus when he initiated the violence by killing some guards. The writers justified this using the same device they used to justify the killing of Rapu i.e. just make Zeus and Rapu both unredeemably egomaniacal one-dimensional characters. It's one of the cheapest and laziest devices in writing.

I didn't like how the movie seemed to dispose of Sif. I think her character deserved better.

Korg stopped being interesting or funny in this movie.

Matt Damon and Luke Hemsworth were funny in Ragnarok. But the joke is entirely about the surprise cameo. Bringing them back here isn't funny anymore. It's as if the writers couldn't think of new jokes and had to recycle bits from Ragnarok to stretch it out.

I could go on ... but, if you liked it, I don't expect to convince you to hate it.

Last edited:
I thought Dark World was forgettable. I don't need Thor to be "serious" all the time. I thought Ragnarok was great for striking a good balance between the humor and the drama. Ragnarok had humor but remained anchored to a dramatic core of the story about his love for his father, his brother and, ultimately for the Asgardian people. I like that stuff. But in L&T his character lost those moorings entirely as he degenerated into complete farce.
My take on this -- not that I thought this hard about it while watching -- is that Thor's approach reflects how he's closed himself off from...well, everything. He's lost everything he ever cared about. In Ragnarok, he still had Asgard and the Asgardians. That gets taken away from him at the very beginning of Infinity War where his people -- including his brother and his friend -- are slaughtered. It's glossed over with Korg's VO, but Thor suffered immense loss in the course of his various movies. And I think that leads him to exactly where we see him at the start of the film: emotionally cut off and basically an egomaniacal dickbag....kind of like, you know, the rest of the gods we end up seeing (Asgardians not included).

We see him gradually open up over the course of the film, mostly because he acknowledges that he feels lost, and not himself. So, in a sense, the movie lampshades that, yeah, this Thor isn't who we're used to. And the Thor we saw in Endgame is basically the guy he fully steers into: loses himself in combat, focuses on glorious battle, because it's easier than, you know, feeling all those unpleasant feelings.
Thor has a relationship with Jane in this movie but, it seems like his relationships with, say, Sif and even Valkyrie were more developed and organic - even if they both had less screen time than Jane.
Yeah, I think that gets back to the thing where there's this underlying question of "Yeah, but....why these two?" that's never been well established. Some of this may be a weakness of the source material, inasmuch as the comics never really went beyond positional relationships (by which I mean "These two people are in a relationship because that's what people in these positions do in these kinds of stories."), which was acceptable in comics in the 1960s (where the relationship began), but rings hollow today. The early Thor films just...didn't do much beyond "Hey, here's that relationship from the comics! You can check that box now."

Sif and Valkyrie make sense as having a relationship with him because they're Asgardians. They naturally have more in common with him. Jane doesn't. So, there's always this lingering, nagging sense of "But...why are they together at all? What draws them to each other?" that none of the movies has ever really answered. This film tried to do it via "Tell, don't show" (e.g., Thor's monologue about Jane making him a better person, which...doesn't really track with the films we saw.), but it still just doesn't quite work because they never did the work on the front end. The film then tries to show us via their relationship montage, but mostly that's just generic domestic bliss sequences that still don't explain "Yeah, but what is it about who each of them is as a person that brings them together?"

The answers could be there (e.g., Jane possesses an inherently selfless, noble spirit; maybe Jane recognizes that Thor's "big dumb blonde" act is an act and he's in fact much more clever than he lets on; or Jane sees the potential within Thor to be the best version of himself; etc., etc.), but none of the movies up til now bothered to do any of that, so it's hard to sell now.
Gorr's "origin" was just contrived. At the very apex of Gorr's suffering he suddenly encounters both his god, Rapu, who is about to kill him on a whim and a magical weapon that just happens to kill gods.
I see it less as "contrived" and more as "abbreviated." Emotionally, the whole thing makes sense. Gorr loses his daughter after praying to his god to save her. Gorr then meets his god, who turns out to be a self-absorbed a**hole. The god mocks Gorr's pain, and then is about to kill him for his own amusement, when Gorr manages to use the power of the necrosword to slaughter the god, at which point, in his grief and madness, he vows to destroy all gods.

Now, that all makes sense. It tracks internally. It fits together perfectly fine. There's nothing in there that feels forced other than the very abbreviated timing of it all happening within the span of, oh, 5-10 min. And that gets back to a fundamental problem in the nature of film: you only have 2-ish hours to tell your story. We'd have accepted Gorr's story as one of Korg's VOs. ("Let me tell you the tale of the God-Butcher...") because we'd recognize it as a montage of various events that happened over a long span of time. I actually think that would've worked better than the version we saw. You could have it be Gorr losing his daughter and then searching for ages for a portal to the gods, hearing of some great power that could find them and take you to them, it turning out to be the necrosword itself, and gradually being corrupted by it (e.g., he told himself that he'd just use it as a portal, then just to threaten them so they'd bring back his daughter, and then when his god laughed at his pain, mocked his daughter's memory, and threatened to kill him, he fully gave into his rage). You do that in the course of a 5-7min montage with Korg's VO, and it ends up working better than "Oh no, my daughter is dead and I'm sad, and hey what's this portal here and oh look, it's my god! Ouch get your hand off my neck, ok death to all gods thanks sword let's do this!" that we got in the film.
I agree that a serious dramatic arc wasn't essential to this movie. I like "fun" Thor, but he stepped too far out of character in L&T. Where in Ragnarok and Endgame Thor had a veneer of charming bravado, in L&T he didn't even give a darn about anybody but himself. e.g. when he destroyed that precious crystal tower thingie as collateral damage in the beginning. They could have even had Thor be charmingly embarrassed, but instead he was just completely oblivious. I didn't think that was funny.
Yeah, I touched on this earlier, but I think that's kind of the point. It may not come through as well because it's played for laughs, but I think it suggests that Thor is cut off from his feelings and as a result, doesn't actually care about anyone or anything besides battle.
And there's nothing heroic about how he got the bolt from Zeus when he initiated the violence by killing some guards. The writers justified this using the same device they used to justify the killing of Rapu i.e. just make Zeus and Rapu both unredeemably egomaniacal one-dimensional characters. It's one of the cheapest and laziest devices in writing.
Again, I think this has to do more with how both gods are played largely for laughs. There's no real air of menace to them. It's implied, but it's never quite realized. That said, I thought Thor initiated the violence because Zeus was threatening to imprison him (well, make him a permanent "guest") and he needed to get out to save the Asgardians. Maybe I'm misremembering.
I didn't like how the movie seemed to dispose of Sif. I think her character deserved better.
Sif's been badly handled by the whole series. But some of that has to do with the actor getting the lead in that Blind Spot show (or whatever it was called) which I think meant that we never really got a proper love triangle between her and Jane, and nobody's character was effectively developed as a result.
Korg stopped being interesting or funny in this movie.

Matt Damon and Luke Hemsworth were funny in Ragnarok. But the joke is entirely about the surprise cameo. Bringing them back here isn't funny anymore. It's as if the writers couldn't think of new jokes and had to recycle bits from Ragnarok to stretch it out.

I could go on ... but, if you liked it, I don't expect to convince you to hate it.
I didn't mind either points, but I think those are all matters of general taste. They didn't bother me and I enjoyed Korg. I agree that the Damon/Hemsworth pairing wasn't as surprising, but I still chuckled at it.

I think you raise some valid points, I just wasn't as bothered by them.

I dunno. I think by and large I'm just more easily entertained by Marvel stuff these days. I just kind of take it as it comes. The styles of stuff that they tend to do is enjoyable overall, so I just roll with it. It's like how I enjoyed the Star Wars TV shows so far. Really, the only Star Wars stuff I haven't liked has been JJ Abrams' films, and I think that's because ultimately I just...see the strings in his work.

Started watching this film streaming on Disney +.
I must say it started with one of the most depressing scenes I have seen a movie beginning with. I had to check to make sure I watching the right movie. I know we had to establish a motivation for the character, but jeeze.

The following battle was fun though. I stopped at this point, going to watch it with my daughter this weekend.

Yea, they're not even trying anymore. Except for Natalie Portmans biceps, it pretty much sucked. And good ole Christian, he always delivers. Amazed he could maintain his composure in this crapfest. Maybe we'll see a behind the scenes freakout video in the months to come, ; )

Last edited:
Yes, I will give Natalie major props for getting jacked (for her body size anyway). I don't think Robert Pattinson even lifted a couple 5lbs dumbbells for Batman (it was still good though)!

How exactly is there a 'new Asgard'? Didn't all the Asgardians get on the ship at the end of Ragnarok? Didn't that ship get blown up at the beginning of Infinity War? Where did all these people come from and how did they get to Earth?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back