Things you're tired of seeing in movies

I don't think you understand Greg... Chuck Norris is seriously awesome... here's just a few reasons that might clear it up a bit for you...

- Chuck Norris once urinated in a semi truck's gas tank as a joke... ..that truck is now known as Optimus Prime.
- Fear of spiders is aracnaphobia, fear of tight spaces is chlaustraphobia, fear of Chuck Norris is called Logic
- Chuck Norris died 20 years ago, Death just hasn't built up the courage to tell him yet.
- There used to be a street named after Chuck Norris, but it was changed because nobody crosses Chuck Norris and lives.
- Chuck Norris doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.
- There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.

So I'm sorry... Segal just wouldn't stand a chance!

No doubt! I wasn't comparing the two! Love them both! :)

But in the end... Chuck Norris is the only one who can punch a Cyclops between the eyes!

The point of making bipedal robots is more of a philosophical one. In our pursuit of making perfect AI we believe they should look like us. It's about arrogance. I believe that Galactica touched upon this.

We try to make perfection in our image

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Steering in movies. When someone is steering a vehicle they turn the wheel back and forth with no obvious effect. I'm watching "Tora! Tora! Tora!" and whenever they show the bridge on any ship the guys are whipping the wheel around. At one point an order was given to turn left fifteen degrees and guy spun it hard to port like they were dodging a torpedo.

Sent from my Lite-Brite

Oh here's one... How many times have you watched a scene where two characters are sitting there talking over a lunch or dinner table and they start off with their glasses full and then 2 seconds later the glass in empty or almost empty and no one has taken a drink! That drives me INSANE! You would think the continuity people would be more accurate from scene to scene or splice to splice! Hell these days they could make the glass always full on the table no matter what with CGI! Comon people!

Characters who refer to each other by their name. In real life, you just don't do that. I get it's to establish the name so the audience know who the person is later on when mentioned and they're not around.
If, for example, you're talking to 'John' and John alone with nobody else around, you wouldn't say:
"John, could you pass me the salt? Thanks, John."
John knows who he is already, so you'd really say:
"Could you pass the salt? Thanks."

One thing that bug me is that space suits in movies look like standard airplane flight suits with some straps and a helmet these days.
Hollywood has hardly ever been able to do is to make the suits look 'inflated' like one would be. Wearing a pressure suit is a very uncomfortable thing as the suit doesn't wanna flex like the body needs it. That's the primary reason astronauts have to be in such good shape if they're doing an EVA.
I guess there's no real way around that but it bugs the heck out of me every time.

One thing that bug me is that space suits in movies look like standard airplane flight suits with some straps and a helmet these days.
Hollywood has hardly ever been able to do is to make the suits look 'inflated' like one would be. Wearing a pressure suit is a very uncomfortable thing as the suit doesn't wanna flex like the body needs it. That's the primary reason astronauts have to be in such good shape if they're doing an EVA.
I guess there's no real way around that but it bugs the heck out of me every time.

Some shows/movies do a better job at this than others and with the more futuristic settings you can always say that their tech is advanced enough that spacesuits no longer need to make people look like the Michelin Man. However, what's really bothersome is when they have a space suit and the helmet doesn't seem to have any means of attaching to the suit, much less creating a seal, it's like they're wearing a full faced motorcycle helmet, which I think they actually did in an episode of Killjoys.

After watching the most recent episode of Falling Skies I realized just how much I hate the old Hollywood portrayal of the military as bunch of closed minded, dim-witted, AJ squared away, jarheads who are all jerks, and obey idiotic orders mindlessly, except for the one kind hearted soul who's really not much more than a civilian in a uniform and is considered as something of an outsider by the rest of his unit. It's like these writers have never actually met or known anybody in the military and they think that, as an organization, we're just all ready and waiting for things to fall apart so that we can just take over and boss civilians around. I think that this is one of the reasons that I like The Last Ship so much, they actually portray the military in a positive like and show the crew of the Nathan James as real people and not just mindless automatons.

The other thing that bugs me is whenever you see troops out in the field in full gear and everybody is dressed exactly the same, of course they're all going to wear the same uniform but not wears it the exact same way, nor do they all carry the exact same gear in the same exact places as everybody else; they're just too uniform and it looks fake. I do realize that some units, particularly grunt units, are going to want their guys to wear everything in the same place but it's never going to be in the same exact place, esp. with MOLLE gear, so while a unit may specify that mag pouches all be in the front and the 1st aid kit in a given spot they're never going to sit on the same exact row and column of PALS webbing. Nor is everybody going to wear the exact same boot since both the Army and Marine Corps allow a certain amount of latitude in the kind of boots you can wear and this also goes for eye protection, some will favor ballistic sunglasses while others will favor goggles and even when they wear the same type, they almost certainly are not going to be the same brand and model as one another.

what's really bothersome is when they have a space suit and the helmet doesn't seem to have any means of attaching to the suit, much less creating a seal, it's like they're wearing a full faced motorcycle helmet, which I think they actually did in an episode of Killjoys.
I know you're very familiar with the 90s show, "Space: Above and Beyond" where they simply wore turtlenecks under normal NOMEX (usually poly blend knockoff) flightsuits to suggest a full pressure suit. I loved the show but that look always annoyed me...
spaceaboveandbeyond-choiceorchance15.jpg

I know you're very familiar with the 90s show, "Space: Above and Beyond" where they simply wore turtlenecks under normal NOMEX (usually poly blend knockoff) flightsuits to suggest a full pressure suit. I loved the show but that look always annoyed me...
View attachment 514469
Anything else would chafe the nipple necks.

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

These aren't technically a thing I hate in movies, as much as how they go about making and marketing them. I hope that's acceptable. This is also a total rant.. if you don't like those I'd suggest avoiding this!

Alright, onto this... Am I the only one tired of being fed a teaser, for the teaser trailer, for the slightly longer teaser trailer, and finally for the trailer itself? Why do we need this? Why is this a thing?

Ok. I understand that if you give little tid bits here and wait a bit, it will build hype. At the same time, when you give a movie too much hype, it can never live up to it.

One teaser. One trailer. It's all we need.

Second, film companies announcing every movie in their line up until 2050 is (pardon my French) ****ING STUPID. It comes across as totally arrogant and not as a creative adventure, but a straight up business plan... Am I the only one who remembers when a film had to have a solid plot and great story BEFORE it became a movie?

These days there is no magic to the movies. These big blockbuster movies are written in such an assembly line fashion that it has turned from "let's make a great movie" to "let's make a profitable movie" with no care about anything else.

Sorry, just watched an exceptionally bad movie and had to vent a whee bit.

...WE as a society have taken tech for granted and have forgotten about HARD COPIES aka THE PAPER TRAIL ; the week of ultron is a perfect example when they forgot about paper files after all of HYDRA/STRUKER's info was wiped from the mainframe. ok im the only one irked by this ! =/
Too true. Back in the late 1990s the antique server at the company I was working for crashed HARD. New software was required as well as new hardware, and every software company we spoke to worked hard to convince us to switch to a paperless system. The problem with that was that we processed steel and alloy parts for Boeing, McDonnell-Douglas, Lockheed, NASA, and almost every other aerospace company around the world, all of whom required hard copy certification (paperwork, for you youngsters) to accompany the parts when they were returned after processing. Even after we had chosen the software that best suited our needs, the owner of the company that produced it still tried to convince us to switch to a paperless system. :facepalm

Characters who refer to each other by their name. In real life, you just don't do that. I get it's to establish the name so the audience know who the person is later on when mentioned and they're not around.
If, for example, you're talking to 'John' and John alone with nobody else around, you wouldn't say:
"John, could you pass me the salt? Thanks, John."
John knows who he is already, so you'd really say:
"Could you pass the salt? Thanks."

text book example ARROW , malcom merlin, malcom merlin , rashe al gool rashe al gool ... im sitthin here season 2 and 3 and screaming WE ALREADY FRAKKIN KNOW WHO YOU MEAN ( its like the writers think we are as stupid as laurel , for fox sake )

These aren't technically a thing I hate in movies, as much as how they go about making and marketing them. I hope that's acceptable. This is also a total rant.. if you don't like those I'd suggest avoiding this!
Alright, onto this... Am I the only one tired of being fed a teaser, for the teaser trailer, for the slightly longer teaser trailer, and finally for the trailer itself? Why do we need this? Why is this a thing?

Ok. I understand that if you give little tid bits here and wait a bit, it will build hype. At the same time, when you give a movie too much hype, it can never live up to it.

One teaser. One trailer. It's all we need.

Second, film companies announcing every movie in their line up until 2050 is (pardon my French) ****ING STUPID. It comes across as totally arrogant and not as a creative adventure, but a straight up business plan... Am I the only one who remembers when a film had to have a solid plot and great story BEFORE it became a movie?

These days there is no magic to the movies. These big blockbuster movies are written in such an assembly line fashion that it has turned from "let's make a great movie" to "let's make a profitable movie" with no care about anything else.

Sorry, just watched an exceptionally bad movie and had to vent a whee bit.
Moldy like i said earlier COMMON SENSE got killed at the end of the Movie Studio wars . they clearly cater to the 2 digit IQ and 2 second attention span of the teens ( why do you think EVERY IMPORTANT FRAKKIN thing in the movie has been in the FRAKKIN trailer *LOOKING AT YOU GENISIS* (like the whole secret twist that the director wanted the audiance to find out . BUT some idiot producer/hotshot decided to put in all the dang promos includiing the poster and final trailers )

its crap like this that make me content to watch only one trailer and ( luckily ) i have the self control to AVOID other trailers like the plague .

and my friend if you endured GENISIS i shall say a prayer for the cash you sacrificed =/

Last edited by a moderator:
also : dealing with nitwits in the media ( like the mary sue , the westboro baptist church ) who have zero axe to grind , but still talk smack .

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back