There has to be something better - TOS Shuttlecraft build

T

DSC01910.jpg

Will

Will, this looks absolutely beautiful! Are the switches functional to work the lights or are they purely decorative? Just gorgeous either way! What did you use to seal the decals with (or are they paint)? So it's studio scale at 22"?

Last edited:
Wow, back to life!!! lol. Yes the switches are functional and work the lights. Can't remember exactly what I used to seal the decals; some sort of clear acrylic I think. Yes, she is 22" long. Thanks for the kind words.

What an excellent job. You inspire me!!

Steve

Same here! Hence why I started this --> http://www.therpf.com/f10/studio-scale-tos-shuttlecraft-89967/

Granted, mine's a little bit rough, and it's nowhere near done yet, but Will was very helpful during the initial planning/blueprinting stage.

Without him and the awe-inspiring build he'd done before me, I wouldn't have gotten as far with my own build as I have.

Great work, from a great guy ;)

I'm grateful this thread was resurrected!

Awesome work freek61!!:cool

Congrats, well done and ditto everyone else.

Scott

Wow!!! Thank you guys. Since I was a kid I always loved this thing. It is nice to finally have a decent representation of it. It was a fun build as well!

Super job, Wil. Amazing.

The "escap r16 4 352" motors used on the nacelles have been discontinued apparently.

Do you have any current idea for an substitute/alternative?

:thumbsup
Jon

Thanks, Wil. Those look pretty good. I'm interested in starting something like this sometime soon. I'm going to fiddle around with the nacelles and see if I can get something I like going. If I can, I will go forward from there.

I looked over your build and was wondering if you had some more insight into scaling the model and the problems with constructing the nacelles and their lighting? Like how to exactly center the motor? How to make those rings that hold it? And how to attach a tube to the inner spinning globes and then the motor shaft?

The rest looks somewhat straight forward but those are critical things as I'm sure you found out and if not done correctly, the whole project goes up in smoke.

:popcorn
Jon

Thanks Jay!

Jon,
I drew the plans myself based on every scrap of information I could find. The miniature itself is suppose to be 22" long and there is a photo someplace with a camera lens cap for scale. As far as the nacelles go; it really was pretty easy and worked the first time I put it together. It's been a few years now but it was pretty easy really. For the motor mounts I just cut a couple of pieces of stryene the I.O. of the pipe; found the center and then cut a hole big enough to slide the motor into it. As I said, it worked the first time on both of them. Not sure if that helps but let me know if I can confuse you even more, lol.

You're actually un-confusing me, Wil. :)

No, your pics are very helpful, mostly self-explanatory and very inspiring.

Will start posting when I start.

:thumbsup
Jon

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back