The Winter Soldier - Costume Research Thread

So I've done a first costume test with the parts I already have. As I said: No holster but a pouch. Kneepads are from the local army and tactical gear shop. I'm also in negotiation with ebay user dreamleather and they're pretty damn passionate about getting you the jacket you want. I've sent measurements and pictures now, I was able to pick the leather and everything. Thus far, without having received the final product, I can recommend them from a service-perspective alone.

I'm seriously not sure about the boots. You think they're okay boots? I mean, I will most definitely replace the red laces with black ones, but yeah... What do you guys think?

http://i.imgur.com/IbLdN4Is.jpg

lookin good soldier :thumbsup

Havent posted in a while...but have finished my costume :D Yes it's not a direct replica, but costing, time and body shape (being very short!) means this is the best I could do, wanted it to have a more feminine edge so kept my hair and only panelled the front of the jacket up to the chest. Hope you like it! :)

Hey! This looks great! From one female to another, it's hard to find a good female version of WS so thanks! Did you purchase or make your mask?

a good tutorial on how to make a lightweight silver cybernetic arm http://rufflebuttcosplay.deviantart.com/art/How-to-make-Armor-with-Foam-Sheets-and-Fabric-359304061

but if you use chrome auto vinyl instead of silver spandex, you get these amazing results:

View attachment 361884View attachment 361886

i think this method is the closest anyone can get to reproducing a screen accurate arm, as even the GCFX urethane arms are a dull silver color rather than a polished metallic tone. i also love that it requires no painting and no sewing. just foam, vinyl, and contact cement!

Hey. How does the foam keep shape this well? Is this shape obtained by using a heat gun before you apply the vinyl?

lookin good soldier :thumbsup
Thank you! I think I'll leave it with those boots. Because they're wicked comfy and they don't look shiny new. Because if you look at the Winter Soldier, he doesn't wear new stuff. Everything has a slightly used look to it.

That said, how do I make a leather jacket look old and dusty without damaging it? Basically, I want it to look like it has seen some fights without actually having to shoot at Scarlett Johansson from a bridge before getting beaten up by Cap.

Hey! This looks great! From one female to another, it's hard to find a good female version of WS so thanks! Did you purchase or make your mask?

Thank you! I bought a half face neoprene mask then built it up with foam, fabric paint and thread :) it works well but is very warm!

- - - Updated - - -

That's awesome! How did you go about making your arm?

Thank you! I've posted a tutorial here's the link:

http://www.therpf.com/f78/winter-soldier-arm-build-tutorial-213380/#post3306343

hope this helps :)

Gah, another question where my English fails me. What's the fabric called that the harness is made out of?

Also, where can I get cheap black EVA Foam? Because it seems to go by many names and I have no clue about any of this.

My plan is this: Get straps, make backplate, combine, mount sword on it, look dashing, don't cut anyone, success.

What's the fabric called that the harness is made out of?

I think it is military grade cordura wrapped around 1/8" vinyl foam padding (even the straps, sans foam)...but most people use 1.5" inch nylon which i think is also called "webbing."

Also, where can I get cheap black EVA Foam?

any store that specializes in gym/sports equipment or in stuff for children. EVA foam is usually sold as puzzle-shaped floor mats for kids play areas and exercise rooms.

product1_22358.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

That said, how do I make a leather jacket look old and dusty without damaging it?

i would say dry dirt or sawdust. clean earth dirt (like for planting) is harmless. i think it washes right off. (but don't hold me to it i am only theorizing here)

- - - Updated - - -

Hey. How does the foam keep shape this well? Is this shape obtained by using a heat gun before you apply the vinyl?

Yes craft foam is heat-set and it should definitely be shaped before the fabric is glued on.

Hello, I am still perfecting my knife molds and the Benchmade is ready to sell. This is the link > https://www.etsy.com/listing/200646059/replica-benchmade-socp-dagger-hard?ref=shop_home_active_1
If you wish to buy a full set or other kinves, by next wedneday or friday I should have the rest of the knives and complete set up for purchase. If you wish to ask about the knives you may message the etsy shop or here on the thread. The shop owner is my sister so you may be talking to her sometimes so that is why it is not in my name. Prices are final and no adjustments will be made.
If you have any questions please feel free to message me.
-Nightmare

Getting down to the wire here for Atlanta Dragoncon. About a week left and I have so much to do for this costume. It's overwhelming. This arm. Man this arm might kill me. Anyone else headed this way?

I didn't know about DragonCon but now that I do i'll definitely make plans for it next year seeing as i live in a bordering state.

How is everyone attaching their arm?
I have the 3 piece one by Gotham FX and am not sure how to secure it and what to wear underneath so it doesn't look like a sleeve underneath.

eotechthing2.jpg

ok so i know most people are not gunning for screen accuracy, but for those that are, i have finally found a website that sells "affordable" eotech replicas. $50~ free shipping, versus the hundreds you pay for the real thing. it has taken me a painfully long time to find these, so i am posting just in case itll save someone else the time. also, there are apparently some troubles with the legalities of these things due to patent issues (seller-wise, not owner-wise), but it does appear this china-based website successfully ships to USA. i will let you know for sure once/if mine arrives.

-->here is the link<-- if you click around you will find a couple versions that are in the $40s~ range

eotechthing.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back