The Winter Soldier - Costume Research Thread

In other news, I've gotten the first parts of the costume. Since I can't do the arm to the point where I'd be happy with iton the budget that I have, I'll get the jacket with a star on the sleeve and gloves. So I've gotten some knuckleduster gloves and the Ventec Rothco gloves.

REbH8b7.jpg

Your jacket looks amazing! Very close to the look I'm aiming for. Did you base it on a particular pattern or did you just draft everything yourself?

Thanks! I drafted it off a basic fitted tunic pattern that I had in my pattern stock. If you have a basic pattern that fits - called a "sloper" in drafting terms - you can make that in muslin and draw on the style lines where you want all the seams and details to go. Then, you cut that apart, trace the pieces onto paper (I use the rolls of heavy contractor paper you can get at Lowe's in the paint department), add the seam allowances and bam! Pattern done.

If you want a really good jacket pattern for a multi-use sloper that closes all the way to the neck and has a great shape, I recommend this one: https://www.etsy.com/listing/197331...mmercial-low&gclid=CIqOkJ-9i8ACFStk7Aod9C4AsQ

Cheers!

a good tutorial on how to make a lightweight silver cybernetic arm http://rufflebuttcosplay.deviantart.com/art/How-to-make-Armor-with-Foam-Sheets-and-Fabric-359304061

results:
more_battle_angel_alita_by_animeangelcosplay-d5qvdc5.jpg

but if you use chrome auto vinyl instead of silver spandex, you get these amazing results:

tumblr_n8ekeqngxK1qm5fmoo3_1280.pngtumblr_n8ekeqngxK1qm5fmoo2_1280.png

i think this method is the closest anyone can get to reproducing a screen accurate arm, as even the GCFX urethane arms are a dull silver color rather than a polished metallic tone. i also love that it requires no painting and no sewing. just foam, vinyl, and contact cement!

Last edited:
Here is my harness build. Hopefully the images work cause I'm using my phone...

So, after studying all forms of references I worked out that he has the two shoulder straps which attach to a horizontal strap, which in turn goes under the arms and attaches to the back holster thingy (and obviously the shoulder straps also insert into this holster thingy). It's pretty much a custom build because I could not find anything commercial that matched and I wasn't happy with how the weight-bearing harnesses sat/looked. The horizontal strap is actually two pieces of webbing that thread into a step lock; one side is fixed with an eyelet and the other attaches with a press stud, so it's easier to get on and off.

I bought some 32mm webbing, eyelets, nylon sliders, a press stud, and a couple of strap keepers (I actually couldn't get them in the right size in nylon so had to spray paint metal ones). Technically the front horizontal strap has a step lock but they didn't have any in the right size so I just used one of the sliders. It still works but the webbing doesn't sit as flush as it would with the step lock but oh well.

I bought a cheap backpack from the Reject Shop and unpicked the straps. I made a pattern for the back harness holster thingy (where he holsters the Skorpion) and cut out the back of the backpack (the part that would rest against your back. Including the foam padding and lining). Pinned the shoulder straps and webbing to the top corners, pinned the horizontal strap webbing to the bottom corners and stitched around the edge of the entire thing. I was on my own trying to measure it all out and check fit so I'd recommend getting someone to help to make the job easier/faster -_- Anyway, once you've worked out the correct length you need for everything it's a matter of adding the sliders, strap keepers, eyelets and press stud where they're meant to go. The eyelets attach the shoulder webbing to the horizontal strap. And I ended up applying a dab of contact adhesive to keep the webbing on the backpack straps. Now, I haven't added the weird bit in the centre of the back holster thingy where his Skorpion attaches to but overall it looks accurate and if you wanted you could probably figure out how to do that.

Sorry for the long post but hopefully it makes sense. Lemme know if the images don't work.

View attachment 315079View attachment 315080View attachment 315081

How did you get the eyelets so well onto the webbing. i've used eyelets before on vinyl but on my webbing they keep moving off centre or warping the actual webbing itself...

Ok, so i just finished pulling some Benchmades out of the molds and I think they look fabulous.
View attachment 353121 I have 2 little things to fix on them which will be extremely easy, but the real one is on the right and the cast is on the left. If you would like on please message me they only cost $10 plus shipping and I can have them shipped soon because I now am out of school. If you would like one please message me and I would be happy to cast one for you. I will be selling the tantos and the Mk. 2 some time next week hopefully.

i am interested in a benchmade. Also are you modeling the Tantos that he carries on the back of his belt? I would be very interested in those too!

Last edited:
How do you keep the harness from riding up in the front with the weapon attached to the back?

On a separate but related thought, why would I choose my first build from a movie that is not readily available for me to watch 1000 times? Plus the last thing I made out of foam was a visor at a birthday in fourth grade.

Winter Soldier will do that to a girl.

How did you get the eyelets so well onto the webbing. i've used eyelets before on vinyl but on my webbing they keep moving off centre or warping the actual webbing itself...

It might be the length of the stem on the eyelet? I'm using eyelets for leather which may be longer than those for material. As for keeping them straight, uh I tried to make sure I kept the eyelet setter vertical and hammer straight down. I have had off centered eyelets before - often because I've struck it on an angle - so I took my time and got lucky! But it may just be the length of eyelets you're using if it's warping the webbing.

How do you keep the harness from riding up in the front with the weapon attached to the back?

I haven't been able to get a Skorpion yet (my state laws are crazy strict and my usual toy gun seller doesn't sell them DX ) so I haven't carried a weapon on my harness. But, the front horizontal strap does keep it in place pretty well so it shouldn't ride up much. You may need to tighten the front strap. Alternatively you can probably use velcro on the underside of the harness that keeps it to your back if it is slipping.

Havent posted in a while...but have finished my costume :D Yes it's not a direct replica, but costing, time and body shape (being very short!) means this is the best I could do, wanted it to have a more feminine edge so kept my hair and only panelled the front of the jacket up to the chest. Hope you like it! :)

View attachment 364335View attachment 364336View attachment 364337View attachment 364338View attachment 364339View attachment 364340

That's awesome! How did you go about making your arm?

So I've done a first costume test with the parts I already have. As I said: No holster but a pouch. Kneepads are from the local army and tactical gear shop. I'm also in negotiation with ebay user dreamleather and they're pretty damn passionate about getting you the jacket you want. I've sent measurements and pictures now, I was able to pick the leather and everything. Thus far, without having received the final product, I can recommend them from a service-perspective alone.

I'm seriously not sure about the boots. You think they're okay boots? I mean, I will most definitely replace the red laces with black ones, but yeah... What do you guys think?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back