The Walking Dead - Season 6 Discussion

I agree about too many characters. The comic was this way too (and because of the iffy art, I never knew who was who for large chunks of the time). Not sure if it still is--I'm not caught up. But the show is spread way too thin. Giving a character 5 min of something to do every four or five weeks just doesn't cut it.

But the problem is that focusing intently on two or three of them per episode to say "And here's what's happening with them..." doesn't help much either. All it does is slow the narrative progress. It's not impossible to keep things moving on a show like this, even with this many characters, but you can't treat everyone as a main character. You have to recognize that some are just supporting cast and only get stuff to do occasionally.

So, yes, they dropped, but they're still INSANELY GOOD, especially for a cable network.

Its a joke how ratings are calculated so much so they even made a Family Guy episode out of it, South Park and the Simpsons as well. Thats why I mentioned people binge watching but forgot to mention DVR and the like. Then there are the newer generation without television going the computer/handheld device route. Going back to falling ratings, would TWD have the foresight to go out on top or milk it to the point Aliens with crystal skulls are blasting off into space?
Everything is there to make the greatest series ever, but too large a cast is the issue. At least for me it is, and has been since we hit the farm. Maybe TWD meets up with FTWD characters in DC and all but maybe four or five TWD characters just shoot themselves to opt out of dealing with FTWD characters? Then the remainder of TWD characters shoot all the FTWD characters. Then, we wake up out of a haze to find Shane was really just knocked out by Rick and its all been a bad dream back on the farm.

Its a joke how ratings are calculated so much so they even made a Family Guy episode out of it, South Park and the Simpsons as well. Thats why I mentioned people binge watching but forgot to mention DVR and the like. Then there are the newer generation without television going the computer/handheld device route. Going back to falling ratings, would TWD have the foresight to go out on top or milk it to the point Aliens with crystal skulls are blasting off into space?
Everything is there to make the greatest series ever, but too large a cast is the issue. At least for me it is, and has been since we hit the farm. Maybe TWD meets up with FTWD characters in DC and all but maybe four or five TWD characters just shoot themselves to opt out of dealing with FTWD characters? Then the remainder of TWD characters shoot all the FTWD characters. Then, we wake up out of a haze to find Shane was really just knocked out by Rick and its all been a bad dream back on the farm.

I think they wake up and realize they really were in purgatory all along. And then they wake up from THAT in bed next to Suzanne Pleshette, right as Patrick Duffy pokes his head out of the shower.

While I agree a large cast can break the flow of the story I think the problem here is a combination of short split seasons combined with the lack (intentional?) of quality writing. It feels like the network is in competition with the comics. The program frequently changes characters and situations but are held back from straying too far. Methinks someone doesn't want the show to overshadow the comics. Unfortunately the show will jump the shark before they go out on a high note.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it's less that the show could overshadow the comics and more that the show could overtake the comics and they end up in a George R.R. Martin scenario. Right now, the show and comics are separate continuities with the same general approach. But, for example, everyone has been saying "Soooo....when's Negan showing up?" And they've had to temporize on that.

I tend to think that the show has very strong writing, both for plot and characters. I mean, yeah, the characters do stupid stuff at times, but it still ends up "working" within the context of the show. I'd say that the biggest complaint I have with the writing is that the seem to intentionally slow-pedal the pace of the show. So you get episodes that feel like they're all plot, and then episodes that are all character development, and the pace between those two different types of episodes is...jarring, to say the least. The plot-heavy episodes hit HARD and move VERY quickly, but the character driven episodes tend to dive very deep into what makes the characters tick.

All of this stuff, in my opinion, is essential to making a good show...but I think the show tends to forget that it can do the same thing by designing episodes that feature both plot movement and character development. That, however, is just not how the show has operated.

There also tends to be a kind of myopic focus for the half-seasons that run, and frequently this is about sort of pointless things or things that end up feeling like they could've been handled a lot quicker when they finally resolve. Most often, this comes right after some big plot event that shifts the survivors to being on the move for whatever reason. The ones that most stick out to me are:

- The journey to the farm where they look for Sophia only to find out she's dead. That whole journey...really could've been like, 1-2 episodes long at most. Instead, my memory is that it took up an entire half season.

- The journey from the farm to the prison. Another half season spent wandering the roads of the southeastern US with not a lot to show for it.

- The journey from the prison to Terminus. There were a few solid episodes in here, but mostly it felt like filler.

- The journey from Terminus to Alexandria. See above.

These sequences typically allow for introspection and exploration of characters...but they don't do squat for moving the plot along. In the comics, my sense is (I read the compendiums, rather than the single issues) they tend to be dealt with in an issue or two, while the actual time spent IN the various locales where they settle tends to be more drawn out. On the show, it just feels like padding. The one instance where I thought it really worked was with Shane surviving WAY longer on the show than in the comics. I really, really enjoyed that.

I'm hoping that the Alexandria plotline will finally stabilize them after this half season, and the show will shift away from just surviving by walking from one place to the other, and move towards trying to build a true community. But I think we have a long way to go before that happens, and we won't really see the first glimmers of that until the end of this season.

I finally gave up on this show this season. The size of the cast doesn't bother me; nor does the split in following certain characters at a time. What eventually did the series in was just how unfun it is to watch. We were no longer looking forward to it - sitting down for the Walking Dead became like an obligatory chore. There needs to be some balance of light and dark. We need to see hope, we need to see positivity, we need to be able to spend some time with these characters and recognize their humanity in the face of the apocalypse they're living in - or what's it all for? Season by season, Rick's grown darker, and episode by episode his group has subscribed more wholly to his nihilistic viewpoint. The only aspect of the human psyche that the show spends any effort or time on is depravity. How senselessly evil can humanity become? I recognize that some people would be damaged by the experience, and there's nothing wrong with exploring that, but the universe is overwhelmingly tilted towards that condition. Those who try to hold on to compassion or try to rebuild or show any other glint of humanity are quickly shown to be fools in the world of the Walking Dead. When Glenn "died" in front of the dumpster and it had no emotional effect on me, I realized how little the show conditions us to care about anything at this point and how unenjoyable the experience of watching it has become. They've ruined strong characters and worn out their own potential for shock value - a quality which the showrunners (or perhaps the original comics; I haven't read them) mistakenly identified as the narrative's main pillar of support.

That's a fair critique. Based on what I know of the rough direction of the narrative, I think we're due for a major shift (one which occurs in the comics) where the focus shifts from survival to rebuilding, but the pacing of the show takes FOREVER to get there. Instead, we just wallow in the awfulness of the world, watching our characters survive. Maybe that's kind of the point of this season: to show that mere survival for its own sake isn't enough, and that ultimately it has to be towards some greater purpose. Alexandria and building a real community out of that could do it, but right now we're too busy watching plans go to hell and take an entire half season to resolve. That's why I say a lot of this should be tightened up. The seemingly endless focus on just surviving...it gets old after a while. It's fun for the good ol' zombie stompin' and watching hapless mooks get nommed on, but I can get that in any old zombie film. I watch this show for that AND the character development, but it's kinda felt like a lot of wheel spinning lately.

I'm still waiting for them to drop the bomb that aliens were behind the zombie infection.
I know that Kirkman used that as his hook to get published in the first place, and it was a joke on the publishers, but I still think it would be an obnoxiously good suckerpunch to end the show, just like the end of the fictitious series in the animated movie Bolt.

Pigeon1: Here's the pitch....
wait for it...
Pigeon 2: Aliens.
Pigeon 1: oh snap!
Pigeon 2: Audiences love aliens.

It could happen.

I don't know if any of you watching Z-Nation but they had an awesome Zombie-waterfall... was almost beautiful to watch!

The Walking Dead also had a zombie waterfall (which is the nickname of the zombies that come pouring out of the building after the Rick and Shane fight sequence in Season 2's "18 Miles Out").

The Walking Dead also had a zombie waterfall (which is the nickname of the zombies that come pouring out of the building after the Rick and Shane fight sequence in Season 2's "18 Miles Out").

Wasn't quite the same as watching thousands of zombies falling off a cliff! :)

I'm still waiting for them to drop the bomb that aliens were behind the zombie infection.
I know that Kirkman used that as his hook to get published in the first place, and it was a joke on the publishers, but I still think it would be an obnoxiously good suckerpunch to end the show, just like the end of the fictitious series in the animated movie Bolt.

Pigeon1: Here's the pitch....
wait for it...
Pigeon 2: Aliens.
Pigeon 1: oh snap!
Pigeon 2: Audiences love aliens.

It could happen.

I always loved that story he basically pitched them Plan nine from outer space the supposedly "worst" movie of all time and that they were interested in.

Wow, literally NOTHING happened that episode. And you know the worst part? I don't even give a **** what happened to Glenn anymore. By the time we get back to him, I'll have forgotten. This show is like some scientific experiment in energy diffusion. If they'd just kept some momentum and stayed with the DAMN PLOT they could have such a great show.

Also, did someone let their kid direct this one as like an eleventh birthday surprise?

Terrible.

Wow, literally NOTHING happened that episode. And you know the worst part? I don't even give a **** what happened to Glenn anymore. By the time we get back to him, I'll have forgotten. This show is like some scientific experiment in energy diffusion. If they'd just kept some momentum and stayed with the DAMN PLOT they could have such a great show.

Also, did someone let their kid direct this one as like an eleventh birthday surprise?

Terrible.

I liked it, plus we may have just found out that Glenn is alive.

May I ask, and I'm not trying to be difficult, what you liked about it? Because it felt like pure filler to me. Like, I could airdrop a middle schooler into the woods with nothing but a sharp stick and a mason jar of liquified buffalo poo and two weeks later they'd march out of the bush with a more exciting script.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back