The Time Machine (2002) - References and Proportions

as.jpg

This could be a good scale estimator. Guy Pearce is 5'10.

View attachment 1736138

This could be a good scale estimator. Guy Pearce is 5'10.
We mentioned using his height as a metric earlier in the thread. The issue I ran into is that the leg angle, and therefor the machine height from the legs up varies from the plans, and various scenes in the movie. Given that on that website there is also a perfect side view drawing, what I REALLY need, is accurate measurements of the Berninghaus barber chair. Everything can scale around that. Even a single measurement like “distance between the leg corner poles” would work.

If only someone here knows someone, who knows someone, who works at WB, who can get a tape measure on something (?) :unsure:

If it ever comes up for auction it would look cool on my mantle shelf next to the big boulder from Raiders (I wish)

We mentioned using his height as a metric earlier in the thread. The issue I ran into is that the leg angle, and therefor the machine height from the legs up varies from the plans, and various scenes in the movie. Given that on that website there is also a perfect side view drawing, what I REALLY need, is accurate measurements of the Berninghaus barber chair. Everything can scale around that. Even a single measurement like “distance between the leg corner poles” would work.
I have measurements of 45"(h) x 24"(w) for the Berninghaus "Hercules" chair. Taken from an auction site.
I hope that helps.
62081757_1_x.jpg

I can't find anything in my refs well enough to make out any detail with all that blackness but this video is about the best i can find.. the movement of the camera seems to help a little and looks like the shaft behind the piston frame with the horizontal rod just butts right up to the sphere without any collar, like in your model there.
Maybe you can enhance a screen cap and see if you can bring out any more detail.

If anything its likely just a small lip around the opening on the sphere similar to the one on the axle shaft.

Screen Shot 2023-09-05 at 10.38.37 am.png

I can't find anything in my refs well enough to make out any detail with all that blackness but this video is about the best i can find.. the movement of the camera seems to help a little and looks like the shaft behind the piston frame with the horizontal rod just butts right up to the sphere without any collar, like in your model there.
Maybe you can enhance a screen cap and see if you can bring out any more detail.

If anything its likely just a small lip around the opening on the sphere similar to the one on the axle shaft.

View attachment 1736440
I've gone with basically just cutting out the shape of the boiler sphere from the stand. Here's my overall progress on the model so far, too. I'm hoping that researching, modelling, texturing, rigging, animating, and adding the VFX to this could be a major part of my CGI portfolio.
1693924343174.png

Also, now that we have higher resolution photos, could someone help me identify the types of screws, bolts, fittings etc used around the machine? I can make out the flanged bolts pretty easily, but ones like the ring around the base of the boiler, and around the dishes, I'm not so sure.

Its such an interesting and complex prop when you get into it.
The mechanics involved in getting everything to work is mind boggling enough let alone having such a pleasing aesthetic period look to it as well.. amazing!
And kudos to your replication of even the tiniest of minutiae too.. which serves to really do this marvelous beast justice.

Turns out, the model of the chair from my last attempt at The Time Machine actually isn't that bad. So minus some changes to the cushioning, I think it will work fine.
1694043620620.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back