The Time Machine (2002) - References and Proportions

I have no idea where the photo's from now.. i've been collecting reference for this for years.
So if there's anything you can't find i'll see if i might have something.
Do you have any reference of the back pistons? The 2 brass diamond shapes and the frame they attach to that goes under the batteries and the chair? All of that has been guess work in my model so far.

I have no idea where the photo's from now.. i've been collecting reference for this for years.
So if there's anything you can't find i'll see if i might have something.
I have, too. I managed to get some blueprints, and behind the scenes photos from someone, too, though the blueprints are VERY low resolution, and parts are out of proportion compared to the final prop.
1693574399875.png

Hmm.. the frame i'll see if i can find more photo reference but i have these diagrams which i think were done by Isaiah Ritchey for his TM model (i have a link for him somewhere).
From what i could tell they were pretty spot on.
SPIN2.jpg

SPIN4.jpg

This is the most recent sighting of the prop that I could find. They don't walk much around other parts of it, but at least it's a very detailed view of the Dishes.

Hey Jack excited to see your progress on this.. the 2002 TM is an amazing piece of design and workmanship.

I found some rough dimensions of the barbers chair that might be helpful as far as scaling things goes.

Keeping in mind the chair for the 2002 TM was not an original Berninghaus barbers chair but a production replica, in tribute to the one used in the 1966 TM (which apparently was originally used in Chaplin's 'The Great Dictator') so the 2002 prop makers may not have made theirs exactly to the same dimensions.
The pedestal and footrest were removed of course and the padded piece used as the headrest in the 1966 chair as replicated in 2002.

Some additional info on the chair in case it's helpful

View attachment 1735077
I think these measurements might be wrong? I've roughly modelled the chair in 3d from this, and scaled a side profile of the time machine, and it comes out at around 14 feet wide in total, way bigger than the 10 feet I'd been working from, based on an interview.

I've found another of these chairs for auction online, and it says 25 1/2 inches wide there, instead of the 29 1/2 it says here.

25 1/2 Width
1693662803498.png

29 1/2 Width
1693662815118.png

Brilliant work on the model!

In case you don't already have this and for anyone interested, there's this nice little video by Dreamworks behind the scenes as they were making the TM.
Even though the quality's poor there's some great reference of the construction and framing and configuration of things that become hidden once all the rest of it is put together.

Not sure where i found this, and can't find anything online, but i imagine it's a feature on the dvd.

As you mentioned the frame extends out under the chair to support it over the deck as the chair has no legs.. so could it be the same at the front?.

dw_mach27.jpg

Last edited:
This is the only clear angle up under the front of the chair i could find but there appears to be a support bar extending out from the frame there too but tucked a little further back under with the wooden support leg screwed onto it in the middle.

TM chair (6).jpg

Would dearly love to see those production blueprints
They do a lot of quick flashes on them in the video you sent me, you might be able to patchwork some together.
Brilliant work on the model!

In case you don't already have this and for anyone interested, there's this nice little video by Dreamworks behind the scenes as they were making the TM.
Even though the quality's poor there's some great reference of the construction and framing and configuration of things that become hidden once all the rest of it is put together.

Not sure where i found this, and can't find anything online, but i imagine it's a feature on the dvd.
So, I managed to patchwork together the blueprints they quickly flash through in one section here, and it seems that my current blueprints from reference are pretty close.
1693748252874.png
1693748273884.png

1693748302535.png

1693748329589.png

Plus, the 2 clearest shots from Tim Wilcox's monitor, straightened out in photoshop. I think from these, we can get the pretty exact shape of the outer and inner focusing panels. Unfortumately, I can't read any actual numbers from these for dimensions.
Inner Blade Front Diagram.png
Inner Blade Top Diagram.png

Nice work!!

Hopefully these are of help too. Poor quality but still helpful with proportions (the second diagram is just a closeup of the first)
The 3rd one helps with the arrangement of the inner and outer lens frames

64141_364384870249089_1883366259_n.jpg

422715_364384893582420_1822505361_n.jpg

freznel panels (1).jpg

So, I think I just hit the jackpot. I was checking Oliver Scholl's portfolio website last time i wanted to make this model, and it was constantly down for maintenance. I just decided to try again, since it's been around 9 months, and it's back up. And not only that, but there are 4K photos of the machine on set, along with super high res scans of a few of the concept images, along with (what I think is) the full final blueprint. None of these images came up from google searches since he has html protections on them to stop you from downloading them.

Wow.. awesome!!
There's only been low rez versions of the concept sketches before and of the final blueprint.
So good to see clearer images now.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back