Just got an Injection Molding machine and looking for Ideas

DinoDino

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello all,

I just got my hands on an injection molding machine. It isn't a very large machine, but it seems pretty nice. Through some connections with an old co-worker I was able to get my hands on a APSX PIM V2 machine that is only a couple months old. The story I heard was that their company bought it and after trying to use it realized injection molding is harder than it looks. They also didn't have much experience with it and didn't have much in the way of a machine shop to support it. Without the ability to design and machine you own molds it is hard to use.

0000769_apsx-pim-v2-plastic-injection-machine.jpeg

Lucky for me, I have done some work with injection molds and have access to a full machine shop with CNC equipment and 3d printers capable of 3d printing high temp plastic that can be used for short run molds.

My question to the forum is what replica prop parts have people wanted to make that this machine could help with? I'm looking for project ideas to practice using this machine with.
  1. The mold size is 4.8 inches by 6 inches.
  2. Can inject Polycarbonate, Delrin, ABS, Nylon (PA6), Polypropylene , Polystyrene, Polyethylene, and TPO.
    1. But I only have Polypropylene on hand right now.
  3. I think it can also inject TPE which is like rubber.
So far I had the idea to try and make the Classic T-Track profile grips from Star Wars. These are used on several light sabers (Vader's, Luke' ESB and ANH). It is also used on blasters but I think those are too long for this machine to make.

MG_9154.jpg

But I am looking for some other ideas as well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

TazMan2000 I realize the original prop used an extruded t track. I don't think this machine would be able to do that easily. But the light saber grips were cut down anyway. Wanna Wanga sells a bunch of versions of this and they even sell some that are injection molded from ABS. So that is what I was thinking of trying to reproduce.

untitled.173.png

It seemed like a decent beginner project for this machine.

The machines max processing temp is 315c (600f).

TazMan2000 I realize the original prop used an extruded t track. I don't think this machine would be able to do that easily. But the light saber grips were cut down anyway. Wanna Wanga sells a bunch of versions of this and they even sell some that are injection molded from ABS. So that is what I was thinking of trying to reproduce.

View attachment 1778730

It seemed like a decent beginner project for this machine.

The machines max processing temp is 315c (600f).
Aw, c'mon. If Play Doh can make one, surely this machine can be made to use one.

Play Doh Extruder.jpg

But seriously, can't the plastic be pushed into a mould with an opening exactly the cross section of the T track?

TazMan2000

I'd be doing some rare parts like an Entex Porsche transmission that is used on the studio scale Falcon, or something like that. There are several good makers of t-tracks already.

Aw, c'mon. If Play Doh can make one, surely this machine can be made to use one.

View attachment 1778766

But seriously, can't the plastic be pushed into a mould with an opening exactly the cross section of the T track?

TazMan2000

It might be possible, but the way that machine works is it closes the mold first and then it pumps in the plastic. The mechanism to push the plastic into the mold can't continuously push plastic. It heats up what is in the barrel and then shoots it into the mold. Extrusion machines don't have the back of the mold and have a screw barrel which is capable of pushing the plastic and heating it up much faster. So even if I could modify the machine it would only be able to make a short extrusion anyway.

I'd be doing some rare parts like an Entex Porsche transmission that is used on the studio scale Falcon, or something like that. There are several good makers of t-tracks already.

The reason I wanted to do the T track is because my friend and I both want them for out light saber collections. I realize lots of people have already done it.

The Porsche transmission is a good idea too. I honestly didn't know about that one until you mentioned it. Thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping this post would give me some things to look into.

I have long wondered if the t-track being sold is manufactured from the right kind of plastic. Both the "Ranch" saber and the Barbican saber tracks have distortion to them that, to me at least, suggests the use of a softer plastic -- or maybe even a hard rubber like Yoda'sHouse grips used to be.

Dave C

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back