The Star-Lord/Peter Quill Sling Bag thread

Got my swatches in!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Nice! Thanks for posting the pic. The darker one looks like it's just brown canvas instead of brown with a hint of orange in it like the picture from the first post.

Does anyone have experience with stamp embossing? I'm curious if that would work for the pattern. From what I've read about it, stamp embossing would give a raised texture and would also be sort of glossy.

After having seen your swatches, it only now occurs to me that the thick looking stuff where the oblong grommets are installed is fabric.
I was planning to have the pattern don onto boot leather, but now I'm curious why it appears so thickly in this shot if it's actually fabric...??
Knapsack scallops detail.jpg

Is the fabric adhered to a thick sub strait, do you think?

Got my swatches in! http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/09/16/abepupe4.jpg

...hmm...'suppose I could, perhaps, go ahead and adhere some some of the fabric to pieces of light weight leather...that way I can get the grommet through it and have it be sturdy and weatherproof. The fist thing I'm doing with this once it's finished is take it to the Pacific ocean and soak it - scrub it with sand - really weather the hell out of it.

They're sewn and flipped. People who sew don't put cardboard in garments. They have another piece of fabric or leather on the back, they're sewn together inside out, flipped right side out, and hand stitched shut on the edge. There MIGHT be an interfacing ironed on, but I don't think they needed it. Those pieces are really small, the snaps are 5/8" wide. The thickness of those pieces doesn't amount to anything besides fabric and possibly interfacing.

...hmm...'suppose I could, perhaps, go ahead and adhere some some of the fabric to pieces of light weight leather...that way I can get the grommet through it and have it be sturdy and weatherproof. The fist thing I'm doing with this once it's finished is take it to the Pacific ocean and soak it - scrub it with sand - really weather the hell out of it.

I understand what you're saying. I'm a person that sews, in fact sewing is part of my job. But honestly I don't think that's what's going on here. I would say they are wrapped around a thicker material. It seem like you would never see the backs of them. The swatches I got are pretty thin if they were stitched in the manner you say they would be flimsy and kinda puckered around the edges. Anyways I could be wrong! LOL just judging from my experience and knowledge. I think we definitely need another view of the bag for better reference.

I understand what you're saying. I'm a person that sews, in fact sewing is part of my job. But honestly I don't think that's what's going on here. I would say they are wrapped around a thicker material. It seem like you would never see the backs of them. The swatches I got are pretty thin if they were stitched in the manner you say they would be flimsy and kinda puckered around the edges. Anyways I could be wrong! LOL just judging from my experience and knowledge. I think we definitely need another view of the bag for better reference.

Very cool, thanks for pointing out the thinness of the fabric in question. Thinking differently... :)

For those that are going the modify an existing bag route, are you getting your source bag from Ebay, Alibaba or Amazon?

I got my bag off eBay. It was this one. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410872180.050759.jpg

Be forewarned though, when I took the front pouch off there were pen marks on the fabric underneath to show where it should be attached. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410872239.799469.jpg

Does that whole panel not get covered with the circle patten fabric?
Is there any good shots of the sides or the back yet?
It seems to me the back part is leather. I'm kind with Soulinertia, just building a custom pattern is going to be the end out come here.

Yes, the whole front would be covered by the blue dot pattern fabric, personally I am looking at adding the blue pattern to the existing fabric.

Yes, it appears the back of the real bag is leather that comes up over the top to form the flap.

Does that whole panel not get covered with the circle patten fabric?
Is there any good shots of the sides or the back yet?
It seems to me the back part is leather. I'm kind with Soulinertia, just building a custom pattern is going to be the end out come here.

It looks like the whole front is covered with the pattern including the parts under the brown sections.

If you look on the first page, there's 1 shot of the back of the bag. It's the blue picture where Star-lord is jumping over some guys. You can get a decent look at the back. It looks like leather.

As for the side of the bag, I am using the picture where Star-lord's back is towards us and he's holding the infinity orb.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back