The Star-Lord/Peter Quill Sling Bag thread

I think if we just lay blue painter's tape down on the fabric first, that could block out the diagonal voids found on the back of the jacket....thoughts?

That has been my thought as well- or to perhaps use medical tape since it can soak up some of the paint and not make a mess when the frame is removed, which is a risk since you need a very large one if you want to cover the entire panel with seam allowance. I've already sent out for a full-panel silk screen frame that will cover the largest pattern piece. The unusually large size needed (100X70cm) unfortunately made it a tad expensive... probably $300+ since I want it "done right". I'm likely sending out the bag pattern today or tomorrow but that panel can luckily be a lot smaller.

This past weekend I special-dyed red denim fabric (I just couldn't find the red I wanted- all the stuff out there has too much blue in it, when this should shift more towards orange-brown) and I'll be doing the same for the bag using heavy grey canvas and dying it. If you start with a neutral grey and add a small mix of brown and orange dye to it you should end up with the correct color for the one bag fabric. Perhaps mix in a bit of green/brown for the other (I haven't done any color tests on it yet). I may offer to print fabric for others but I've a feeling the work-to-cost ratio will not pan out to make it worthwhile.

Last edited:
Everything costs you an absurd amount of money.

Just a note, the bag fabric isn't canvas, it's basket weave.

Everything costs you an absurd amount of money.

Just a note, the bag fabric isn't canvas, it's basket weave.

Well, not everything, but some things certainly do. Cost per-hour on things requiring special professional skills (machining, printing, leatherworking and so on) is expensive if done locally due to the absence of low-cost labor in these parts. (I guess you could debate whether paying fair wages for something is "absurd" or not...) In the case of the frame, making a special size print frame made isn't something that is very common, so it's naturally more expensive. And I'm on an extremely tight schedule so don't have time to get it done elsewhere. Locally produced saddle leather (which I'm using for the boots) costs probably 4X what it would in Pakistan but in that instance I'm happy to pay more because I actually care about the treatment of the animals sacrificed for it.

The bag fabric looks tighter and smaller than most basket weave but there is a fairly broad range of crossover between it and canvas, where they look fairly similar. So it could be either. The weave at least looks to be evenly squared if you open it in Photoshop and remove the color. I'm fine with whatever as long it looks right.

I guess I'm just used to doing the labor myself. There are definitely cheaper ways to do screen printing yourself, though.

I guess I'm just used to doing the labor myself. There are definitely cheaper ways to do screen printing yourself, though.

Oh, certainly. I've done it myself before. (Band t-shirts!) But this is a super-fine pattern (just a couple mm between each shape) over a large screen and I don't want to experiment with it. (Too much risk of messing up the pattern, fuzzy edges or having uneven coverage. A big part of the cost is having the photo film made, not to mention the startup cost of getting the UV lights, emulsion and other supplies. I'm doing pretty much everything else (including dying fabric and drawing patterns) so I'm ok with farming out this part to the pros and getting a frame that is ready-to-go. Aiming to have an accurate, fully kitted Star Lord, Groot and a 1:1 Rocket done within two months with as much as possible done from scratch.

Hope this helps for scale.
IMG_7622.jpg

Just got mine in the mail. Seeing it for the first time with my own eye, my first thought is wow this pattern is tiny!

Here is a pic next to a dime. I would say each of the larger circles are only about 9.5mm in diameter. Slightly larger than the shell of a 9mm as reference for those familiar with ammo. Definitely going with 10mm rivets for the bag.

Also, the blue does have a slight sparkle to it as I suspected. It's almost like they matched the color of the TPS-L2 walkman, though I don't have them side by side at the moment.

Another note: The print is VERY thick and has a rubber like texture. It will take a few passes with the screen to build it up this thick.

20140910_170051.jpg

I do screen printing for a living so all these examples in this costume have me intrigued. We just got our new direct-to-garment printer in today and I think that would be awesome for these applications. No screens, no presses, no inks. Just a computer and a super-sized "inkjet printer". So much easier and less labor intensive than most of the small run custom stuff we do. The quality of the prints and the detail you can get is pretty amazing.

Another note: The print is VERY thick and has a rubber like texture. It will take a few passes with the screen to build it up this thick.

Could it be "puffy" paint? The fabric looks heavy enough to withstand deforming if it is...

We just got our new direct-to-garment printer in today and I think that would be awesome for these applications.
Doesn't that color just soak into the fabric instead of (partially) laying on top of it? Can it print glossy results? Both are necessary in a lot of the main patterns used in the various costumes.

Could it be "puffy" paint? The fabric looks heavy enough to withstand deforming if it is...

Doesn't that color just soak into the fabric instead of (partially) laying on top of it? Can it print glossy results? Both are necessary in a lot of the main patterns used in the various costumes.

It doesn't give the raised up texture of regular plastisol screen printing ink as far as I know. It's best for high detail recreation (photos). The stuff for the jacket and bag was almost certainly traditional screen printing, especially since you can get different finish results like shimmer, suede, puff, foil, etc. You could get that raised detail fairly easily from multiple applications (print, flash dry, print) which is probably what that is, but I've not seen the samples in person. Suede and puff additives will get your extra height, suede being the less extreme of the two. I definitely want to try these out at some point.

That ink on the sample definitely looks like it's got either some shimmer or crystalina added to it. Nice find on the fabric!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back