The "Slave 1"

Status
Not open for further replies.
At my company, engineering terms such as slave and master are being removed from all drawings.

No, what's being removed are brains, knowledge of history, and common sense.

The pendulum will eventually swing back to some type of equilibrium, but how many metaphorical--and perhaps literal--book-burnings will there be before it does?

Virtually all of the iconic nerd franchises have been deconstructed and destroyed by insane political correctness, now. The damage is irreversible, in most cases. What we need to do is take the lessons of the past and move forward. New franchises, new characters. Support independent creators instead of soulless mega-corporations holding our beloved franchises hostage. And you can always go back and enjoy the old stuff. Plenty already out there to last forever.

Also, I want to see Slave Kathy Kennedy added to robn1's image.

There is a huge difference between people that viciously and conscientiously use words as a weapon, which is deplorable, and those who choose to be victimized by words because they decide to be.

Exactly.

Wrong franchise, but I find it deeply, deeply sad that the morons who have run STAR TREK into the ground never bothered to listen to this:

Over the past half-century, we've slid backwards from Nichelle Nichols' graceful and dignified portrayal of Lieutenant Uhura--a character who legitimately broke important sociological ground--, to the obnoxious, know-it-all, Mary Sue Space-*****, Michael Burnham. A character no one will care about or talk about in, say, five or ten years. Appalling.

Meanwhile, STAR WARS has completely lost sight of the simple decency and morals Lucas injected into it, and has been consumed by awful storytelling, identity politics, and stupid, pointless, politically-correct changes like axing the name "Slave 1". 40 years after the fact. When no one had ever complained about it. Quite the reverse, since the ship is one of the franchise's most popular.

Creating and screaming about fake problems just to solve them and thus look "heroic" is a hallmark of today's generation. It's an insult to everyone and everything that came before them.

As the great MauLer recently put it, these franchise-milking, "passing of the torch" sequels and reboots are really just about torching the past. No respect, no logic, no morality, no sense of history.

I'm several steps beyond disgusted, and am patiently waiting to watch it all burn, as it deserves to.

Nothing has been destroyed, history isn't being lost and linguistic shifts don't indicate a lack of intellectual prowess.
This whole "political correctness" trope that constantly gets used as a pejorative for "considering an alternative view" has become tiresome.
The world is a demonstrably better place than it was 50 years ago (covid not withstanding).

Nothing has been destroyed, history isn't being lost and linguistic shifts don't indicate a lack of intellectual prowess.
This whole "political correctness" trope that constantly gets used as a pejorative for "considering an alternative view" has become tiresome.
The world is a demonstrably better place than it was 50 years ago (covid not withstanding).

Yes it is. So perhaps people should appreciate what they have instead of screaming all the time. Words only have the power that people give them. Those who scream the loudest will never be appeased, and will constantly be looking for something new to dismantle. People should be more appreciative of the fact that we live in the safest, most prosperous, most technologically-advanced period in human history. Yet, by the sound of it, you'd think the sky is falling. Madness.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the words "slave" and "master". In terms of engineering, they communicate specific functions, and have no sociological relevance whatsoever. But, sure, let's invent new words to replace them, which someone, somewhere will eventually find a reason to be offended by. And so NEW new words will need to be invented. And so on.

"Boba Fett's Firespray" could eventually be deemed offensive to people with STD's who suffer from painful urination, after all. Surely, that's an "alternate view" which someone could have, right?

And, yes, I think it's safe to say that a good number of things--STAR WARS, STAR TREK, the American comic book industry, etc. have been destroyed. All things must end, and there's no coming back for some of them. They had their time, and won't recover after being run so thoroughly into the ground.

Last edited:
I may have posted this in another thread somewhere before, but it bears repeating here. I am white, my wife is black. She hates the expression African-American but that is a whole different topic. Our daughter who is obviously mixed was in political science class in high school and the teacher asked her what her perception of racism is due to the fact that she has mixed parents and she is biracial. She told the class, it is easy to identify the racists among us, they are the ones who point their fingers and scream That’s Racist!

I may have posted this in another thread somewhere before, but it bears repeating here. I am white, my wife is black. She hates the expression African-American but that is a whole different topic. Our daughter who is obviously mixed was in political science class in high school and the teacher asked her what her perception of racism is due to the fact that she has mixed parents and she is biracial. She told the class, it is easy to identify the racists among us, they are the ones who point their fingers and scream That’s Racist!

Precisely. It's classic projection. Hollywood, with its casting couch and blatant racism, now leads the charge for "diversity" and "inclusion". Vice masquerading as virtue.

In other words, he who smelt it dealt it.

Call me crazy, but I try to treat people on an individual basis, rather than lumping them into groups based upon surface traits.

Franchises like STAR WARS and STAR TREK used to bring people from all walks of life together in a united love of story and characters. They were positive, uplifting, and appealed to people across race, gender, age, and international lines.

Now, they are propagandist, "platforms" for "activism" run by ideologues who hate and mock their audience, and which are used to tear people apart. Which is wrong. Perhaps evil.

And I cannot forgive that.

Yes it is. So perhaps people should appreciate what they have instead of screaming all the time. Words only have the power that people give them. Those who scream the loudest will never be appeased, and will constantly be looking for something new to dismantle. People should be more appreciative of the fact that we live in the safest, most prosperous, most technologically-advanced period in human history. Yet, by the sound of it, you'd think the sky is falling. Madness.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the words "slave" and "master". In terms of engineering, they communicate specific functions, and have no sociological relevance whatsoever. But, sure, let's invent new words to replace them, which someone, somewhere will eventually find a reason to be offended by. And so NEW new words will need to be invented. And so on.

"Boba Fett's Firespray" could eventually be deemed offensive to people with STD's who suffer from painful urination, after all. Surely, that's an "alternate view" which someone could have, right?

Agreed. Those words were created to define something. They are part of language.

They are words. We need them to communicate.

People who want to change those words are simply looking for a way to control a situation. And *THEREIN* lies the hypocrisy, they want to suppress/oppress everyone else! IF you ever want to see a meltdown, call them out on THEIR oppression; let them know it the offense is in *THEIR MIND*. They are making assumptions about everyone else. They are making the reckless generalizations.

I thought I already told those dang kids to get off my lawn earlier in this thread.

Too many movies about the dysfunctional, uneducated outcast saving the tribe. Too many whiners are getting empowered through faux outrage.

It is absolutely about rewriting history and reality, because the truth dismantles the whiner's hyper-focused, selective argument to gain control.

Firespray is clearly an attack on people with chronic urethra issues. Also, bad reactions to hot sauces!

Remember when an American sport caster referred to Ben Johnson (the Canadian runner) as African-American? Talk about assuming someone's origins! Next time someone corrects you with "African-American" ask them how you are supposed to know they are from Africa. Ask them about the six foot tall Olmec Heads in South America.

Makes me want to design a shirt that bears the profile of the Slave 1 with "Slave 1" in multiple fonts making up the silhouette of the ship.

Agreed. Those words were created to define something. They are part of language.

They are words. We need them to communicate.

People who want to change those words are simply looking for a way to control a situation. And *THEREIN* lies the hypocrisy, they want to suppress/oppress everyone else! IF you ever want to see a meltdown, call them out on THEIR oppression; let them know it the offense is in *THEIR MIND*. They are making assumptions about everyone else. They are making the reckless generalizations.

I thought I already told those dang kids to get off my lawn earlier in this thread.

Too many movies about the dysfunctional, uneducated outcast saving the tribe. Too many whiners are getting empowered through faux outrage.

It is absolutely about rewriting history and reality, because the truth dismantles the whiner's hyper-focused, selective argument to gain control.

Firespray is clearly an attack on people with chronic urethra issues. Also, bad reactions to hot sauces!

Remember when an American sport caster referred to Ben Johnson (the Canadian runner) as African-American? Talk about assuming someone's origins! Next time someone corrects you with "African-American" ask them how you are supposed to know they are from Africa. Ask them about the six foot tall Olmec Heads in South America.

Makes me want to design a shirt that bears the profile of the Slave 1 with "Slave 1" in multiple fonts making up the silhouette of the ship.

Yes, it all comes down to control. Controlling language. Controlling and rewriting the past. Dismantling language and history only divides people, which makes it easier to conquer them.

A few years back, I got into a debate regarding the censorship and suppression of 1940s comics books, specifically WONDER WOMAN and CAPTAIN MARVEL, which often featured stereotypical and racist caricatures of Black and Japanese characters. I argued that we can’t ignore or rewrite history, lest we repeat it, and sometimes it’s important to see ugly things in order to know to avoid them in the future. You need a negative to understand the nature of a positive. I was told that “evil is evil”, and that those stories should not be reprinted, or should be altered to remove the offensive content.

As it happens, I picked up a reprint collection of the earliest Wonder Woman stories that was released to coincide with the 2017 movie. I later noticed a disclaimer on the title page, saying that some artwork and dialogue had been modified to remove outdated racist depictions which some people could find offensive.

After that, I tracked down the expensive, 1990s hardcover reprints of those stories, and gladly bought them. I don’t want a whitewashed version of history. I want historical accuracy, good, bad, AND ugly.

“Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.”​

― Mark Twain

Lucas threw tons of women and minorities into the prequels, and no one cared. It was a non-issue. Just more cool characters, like Mace Windu and Padme and so on. He also retconned Boba Fett into being played by a Maori actor, and no one cared. It was a non-issue.

Fast-forward to the Disney disaster, and you have nothing but talk on their part about race and gender. Gwendolyne Christie talking about how Phasma was the first female villain in the franchise, as if that was a selling point. Too bad the character was pointless and had nothing to do. And I didn’t care about Finn’s race one whit. John Boyega is a fine actor, and there was a lot of potential in the idea of a stormtrooper being humanized and defecting to the other side. It was a NEW idea, in a film full of typical JJ Abrams rehashing and “borrowing”.

And then they turned Finn into a stereotypical Black janitor, and he became a wacky comic relief sidekick who was marginalized and given no real story to play out. What a terrible disappointment for a character and actor with so much potential.

These Hollywood elites are hypocrites who pander to Twitter on the basis of race and gender, then end up proving that THEY are the racists and sexists via the content of their terrible films and shows.

Stupidly changing the name of Boba Fett’s ship is not a cure for any of that.

Last edited:
Putzman said so in his own words in a Youtube livestream, and people still try to deny it.

Yep. They are flat-out admitting that this is no longer about storytelling or entertainment. Which makes it propaganda.

The thing about the real STAR TREK is that, despite whatever political views its creators had, it always tackled social issues from different perspectives, and told people TO think, not WHAT to think. It was about starting conversations, not telling the audience that, “If you don’t like our politics, don’t watch our show”. And it never forgot to be entertaining and FUN along with being thoughtful and intelligent.

And so it was with STAR WARS. Lucas was always concerned with the story, first and foremost. Everything else was secondary. And, despite the incredible window-dressing of visual effects and designs, the story and characters of STAR WARS are what have resonated with people for decades. Whereas the Disney movies are slick and shiny on the outside, but hollow on the inside. They ripped out the heart, soul, and morality of the franchise, and there is no place left to go. Using a cute rehash of Yoda as the franchise’s poster-boy will only last so long. There’s nothing left to save. And changing the name of 40-year-old spaceship is akin to putting a Band-Aid on a shotgun wound. It makes no difference. Just one more idiotic decision.

The revisions may seem incremental or insignificant on the surface but there is a point where if you change something enough it becomes unrecognizable.

Let time be the judge. Everything that counts will stand eternal. Everything that has no merit will fall away or be forgotten.

The revisions may seem incremental or insignificant on the surface but there is a point where if you change something enough it becomes unrecognizable.

Let time be the judge. Everything that counts will stand eternal. Everything that has no merit will fall away or be forgotten.

People rejecting Jake Skywalker and then flipping out over his much more in-character appearance on THE MANDALORIAN is proof of that. The iconic character of Lucas’ version of Luke Skywalker is too strong to be repressed, and his character assassination and sad end in the Disney films will eventually be forgotten.

We will never see the dawn break until we crawl out of the darkness - Thaddeus Tuffentsamer

Why is there still racism? Because people WANT it. Those who cry about it, propagate and promote it will always find it. They are free to express their hatred and intolerance of others by claiming others are intolerant and hateful.

A colleague at work asked me as a writer if I would recommend Huckleberry Finn as a book for her 10 year old biracial daughter to read. I told her YES, but she should also have a frank discussion that what she reads is a part of HISTORY, of what we tolerated in our ignorance but now we see others as we see ourselves and love and embrace their differences. We no longer feel the same way that they did when that book was written, but throwing a coat of white paint on top of it will not clean the stains underneath.

Ironically enough I am of German descent and in Germany now the Holocaust is not even taught or credited.

Until we collectively quit trying to retcon the evils of our past, stand up and say, it happened but it doesn’t happen now, we’ll continue to be a bunch of hamsters running in wheels and hating everything.

We will never see the dawn break until we crawl out of the darkness - Thaddeus Tuffentsamer

Why is there still racism? Because people WANT it. Those who cry about it, propagate and promote it will always find it. They are free to express their hatred and intolerance of others by claiming others are intolerant and hateful.

A colleague at work asked me as a writer if I would recommend Huckleberry Finn as a book for her 10 year old biracial daughter to read. I told her YES, but she should also have a frank discussion that what she reads is a part of HISTORY, of what we tolerated in our ignorance but now we see others as we see ourselves and love and embrace their differences. We no longer feel the same way that they did when that book was written, but throwing a coat of white paint on top of it will not clean the stains underneath.

Ironically enough I am of German descent and in Germany now the Holocaust is not even taught or credited.

Until we collectively quit trying to retcon the evils of our past, stand up and say, it happened but it doesn’t happen now, we’ll continue to be a bunch of hamsters running in wheels and hating everything.

Well said.

Aside from the horrors of human trafficking and various isolated pockets of evil, institutionalized slavery has not existed here in the USA for two centuries. Yes, racism is still a problem. But, we’ve come a long way, even in the past half-century. Things were actually pretty awesome in the 90s and early 2000s. Now, it seems we’ve entered a nightmare world of pro-segregation insanity, where people are divided and categorized by surface traits and a hierarchy of oppression and offense.

And yet, despite slavery not being a thing for two centuries, people are apparently terrified by the name of a fictional spacecraft, a name which no one bothered to complain about until now.

Think about that. It only continues because people WANT it to, as you say. Instead of accepting the past, setting aside victimhood, not being constantly offended on behalf of others for the sake of Twitter followers, and just…moving on.

Be kind. Be thoughtful. Enjoy life. It’s that simple.

The second you reduce a person to an identity alone, a concept, you've instantly dehumanized them. No person is just ONE thing.

I think anyone with a brain should judge others based on their character alone, not some immutable surface traits. That's insanity to me.

The second you reduce a person to an identity alone, a concept, you've instantly dehumanized them. No person is just ONE thing.

I think anyone with a brain should judge others based on their character alone, not some immutable surface traits. That's insanity to me.

I mean, so long as they cede that Boba Fett's ship is called Slave 1 anyway. Otherwise... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back