The new SUPERMAN costume... thoughts?

What bothers me about this pic is the disinterested look on his face while suiting up. No sense of urgency or concern; it's more like "Great, here we go again". And while it would definitely be a reasonable reaction from most folks, superman never seemed to portray this in the comics or movies. He honestly seemed to enjoy helping people and making a difference. This pic strikes me all wrong.

JMO.

IMG_4379.jpeg

Agreed; they're messing around with too many established things concerning his outfit. It used to be that Clark Kent could simply shed his disguise at a moment's notice (provided he had reasonable privacy to do so) and fly into action as needed. This photo seems to indicate he now needs several minutes at home to change or something.

What bothers me about this pic is the disinterested look on his face while suiting up. No sense of urgency or concern; it's more like "Great, here we go again". And while it would definitely be a reasonable reaction from most folks, superman never seemed to portray this in the comics or movies. He honestly seemed to enjoy helping people and making a difference. This pic strikes me all wrong.

JMO.

Phonebooths are gone.

Hopefully we wont get a Superman who sees crimefighting as a distraction from what he *really* wants to do.

now I wanna make a meme of Batman posting on social media about his latest foodie experience, while someone is getting mugged just a couple of feet away.

With great power comes great social media.

Or isnit the other way around?

Phonebooths are gone.

Hopefully we wont get a Superman who sees crimefighting as a distraction from what he *really* wants to do.

now I wanna make a meme of Batman posting on social media about his latest foodie experience, while someone is getting mugged just a couple of feet away.

To be fair, there are many instances of Clark running into an alley or some other area, like a closet at the Planet, to change. In Superman Returns he jumped into an elevator shaft, and he can change clothes so fast it was a blink of the eye.

Which he could do with this thing of course, but given how bulky it all is, I have to chuckle at how he'd haul it around. He certainly couldn't wear it under normal clothes.

Phonebooths are gone.

That's why I didn't mention them; more like a deserted cul-de-sac or a storeroom. And yeah: like the original Superman movie, see Superman help out in more than just "big events". I always liked that Reeve's Superman genuinely wanted to help folks.

superman never seemed to portray this in the comics or movies. He honestly seemed to enjoy helping people and making a difference. This pic strikes me all wrong.

This immediately reminded me of Kingdom Come. Not the pic - this comment.
In KC it was different circumstances, but him "checking-out" from society had validity.

We don't know what the context of this photo is, and we shouldn't care. This first glimpse of the new Superman should be nothing less than glorious.

Instead they're trying to get us hyped with a poorly executed, emo-pop, neo-goth image that is surprisingly bad, considering it's from the guy who made the wonderful GOTG.

Last edited:
I believe the sole purpose of that image was to cause stir. Last night for whatever reason I watched an interview of the cast of the recent battlestar Galactica and the showrunner said that he knew that Starbuck's gender swap would cause Stir in the fandom and he embraced it. Made a lot of people mad but at the same time brought a lot more people to watch it.

I think JG is doing it on purpose.

I believe the sole purpose of that image was to cause stir. Last night for whatever reason I watched an interview of the cast of the recent battlestar Galactica and the showrunner said that he knew that Starbuck's gender swap would cause Stir in the fandom and he embraced it. Made a lot of people mad but at the same time brought a lot more people to watch it.

I think JG is doing it on purpose.

I think you might be on to something. He gave us a VERY meme-able photo. Like, look at the space that's left to alter what's behind the windows, and all the space above him. The photoshopping of Superman in front of the window has almost no anti-aliasing, making it easy to cut him out of it...Yes, I too, think this was intentional.

Which he could do with this thing of course, but given how bulky it all is, I have to chuckle at how he'd haul it around. He certainly couldn't wear it under normal clothes.
it's apparently not on youtube, but remember the SNL sketch where The Rock is Clark Kent and his costume is poking out from under his clothes everywhere? Not that any Superman could realistically hide their cape.

it's apparently not on youtube, but remember the SNL sketch where The Rock is Clark Kent and his costume is poking out from under his clothes everywhere? Not that any Superman could realistically hide their cape.
Lol. Forgot about that sketch.

As far as the cape. I handwave it for Reeve and Routh, given how they lean into the comic book side. For any other, more realistic interpretation, he should have his cape stached in his briefcase or something.

But, if your intent was to sell product to a middle income market, and you wished to produce something that looked sturdy, I daresay LARP level, but using injectable molding equipment (to eliminate any need for a labor force), then this is spot on. Lest we forget that these decisions are often pushed into the show by the marketing team and while ticket sales are low, merchandise might fill the gap. The boots look to be real leather sewn to a rubber sole but I would forecast that they are molded as they are, intentionally, to facilitate the leap to one piece injection molded rubber boots. At which point, the pic above with Sup in the shoe dept is valid.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back