Identifying Christopher Reeve's - Clark Kent Eyeglasses from Superman

agliarept

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi,

I'm trying to identify the exact model (if possible) of eyeglasses worn by Christopher Reeve as Clark Kent in the original Superman films.

This article shares they're from "Grant and Glass opticians" but that's all I've got to go on (might send them an email asking if they still make these/know the model).
  1. Clark Kent's Eyeglasses in Superman IV: The Quest for Peace

Does anyone here know the style of eyeglasses these where? Or does anyone make an accurate replica for eyewear?

NMAH-JN2017-01742-000001.jpg

The horns in your example are too pronounced, the lenses aren't squarish enough, and they're not quite big enough.

I went on a similar search a couple months ago. After much searching and thinking, I stumbled upon these (originally on Etsy, but now on Amazon and eBay too), which are REALLY close!

"Emblem Eyewear - Large Oversized Horn Rim Glasses Clear Lens Thin Frame Nerd Mens Womens Glasses"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PZFRMCS

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404803762326

s-l960.jpg

Since they were cheap, I picked up a pair, hoping that the tortoiseshell pattern would be sufficiently dark. And it was! I could not believe they could be that close in accuracy and only a few dollars in cost. Look at the comparison:

1711728741648.png 1711728788573.png 1711728834814.png

It looks really good displayed on top of my Indy Magnoli Clark Kent necktie:

PXL_20240329_160730044.MP.jpg

Hope that helps some. It's not perfect, but it will fool anyone who hasn't been looking at CK glasses for hours. The price and closeness were close enough for me. :)

I didn't expect to get such an awesome answer so quickly, thank you!

I had just started this journey a few days ago, digging through eBay for some possible matches and this really helped thank you.

Going to get these and see if i'm able to put in Rx lenses in them.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back