The new SUPERMAN costume... thoughts?

BossThreads

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
441022279_1116667176262879_6364642826018633585_n.jpg

I appreciate them trying new costume designs, but I don't like this one at all. The logo is fine. It differentiates him from other iterations of Superman. I dislike the heavily textured fabric and busy ribbing/groove work along the shoulders, sleeves, and knees that so many modern superhero costumes have. Same for the boots. It's also too boxy. Part of Superman's aesthetic is his incredible physique and it's buried beneath this suit. It reminds me of the Kree uniforms in the MCU which is to say it's more of a superhero style spacesuit than a costume befitting a classic character like Superman.

I figured out what bothers me. Superman wears his suit under his clothes. While there was always suspension of disbelief involved with that (where's the cape), this one is way too bulky to hide. Of course, if they are getting rid of that idea, that would explain why he is putting boots on. But then they would have to get rid of the "logo under the pulled open shirt" iconography, which seems crazy.

Not a fan of the collar. The rest in not bad though. It looks like a work uniform (not skin tight) which gives us with less than perfect physiques a chance to not look that ridiculous.

There is a “thickness” and “looseness” to the appearance of the material that makes it look like a neoprene wetsuit (particularly the bulges and wrinkles in the shoulder areas), to my eye.

View attachment 1817740
View attachment 1817741

Well, getting away from the ripped muscle suits DC's been using.

Supes doesnt like getting cold via wet. Vacuum of space cold is fine, but chilly water a no-no.

Sorry, but the feel of this pic reminds me wayyy too much of the old Sam and Ralph cartoons.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240506-193836_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20240506-193836_YouTube.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 27
The only thing I like is the shorts being back. I've NEVER liked that they ditched them, as Clark's costume looks weird and generic without them. Batman can still work without them, but not Superman.

Otherwise, its incredibly MCU and generic looking.

I like it. It kind of reminds me of the New 52 suit with the tighter collar and lines. The only thing I'm not a fan of is how bulky it looks especially around the wrists.

The creases don't really bother me. It's likely that it will get touched up with CGI in the movie to get rid of any folds and creases.

It's alright. I get the more detail suits for someone like Batman that should be wearing armor, but Superman doesn't need that. I miss the Chris Reeves and Brandon Routh suits... they look like they stepped right out of the comics. This is just the look that all modern suits have. With the exception of the trunks it looks a lot like the Man Of Steel suit.

It's alright. I get the more detail suits for someone like Batman that should be wearing armor, but Superman doesn't need that. I miss the Chris Reeves and Brandon Routh suits... they look like they stepped right out of the comics. This is just the look that all modern suits have. With the exception of the trunks it looks a lot like the Man Of Steel suit.

It’s the post-Tobey Maguire Spider-Man school of costume design in which every costume has to have the texture of a basketball vs. clean lines and simplicity.

IMG_4376.jpeg

IMG_4375.jpeg

Last edited:
James Gunn trying to prove he's better than WB's marketing department by demonstrating his mastery of Midjourney prompts.

/imagine a young but depressed Joe Piscopo who's been drinking all day, sitting on a child's lounge sofa, and doesn't want to dress up as hobo-Superman on Halloween night, while a poorly-Photoshopped giant glowing onion rides a lightning bolt above a generic city. --ar 3:5

Let the hype begin!

James Gunn trying to prove he's better than WB's marketing department by demonstrating his mastery of Midjourney prompts.

/imagine a young but depressed Joe Piscopo who's been drinking all day, sitting on a child's lounge sofa, and doesn't want to dress up as hobo-Superman on Halloween night, while a poorly-Photoshopped giant glowing onion rides a lightning bolt above a generic city. --ar 3:5

Let the hype begin!
Is Piscopo from Joysey or Kansas?

From Kypton or an Ethlychloride lab experiment?

I figured out what bothers me. Superman wears his suit under his clothes. While there was always suspension of disbelief involved with that (where's the cape), this one is way too bulky to hide. Of course, if they are getting rid of that idea, that would explain why he is putting boots on. But then they would have to get rid of the "logo under the pulled open shirt" iconography, which seems crazy.
Agreed; they're messing around with too many established things concerning his outfit. It used to be that Clark Kent could simply shed his disguise at a moment's notice (provided he had reasonable privacy to do so) and fly into action as needed. This photo seems to indicate he now needs several minutes at home to change or something.

What bothers me about this pic is the disinterested look on his face while suiting up. No sense of urgency or concern; it's more like "Great, here we go again". And while it would definitely be a reasonable reaction from most folks, superman never seemed to portray this in the comics or movies. He honestly seemed to enjoy helping people and making a difference. This pic strikes me all wrong.

JMO.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back