The Iron Patriot Costume - build progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
id say the easiest way to make a sharp angle like that is to just cut, weld, and grind. bending steel at that sharp an angle is extremely difficult and runs the risk of weakening the metal.

btw steel is cheaper than aluminum by far.

@IronPatriot

I would focus on just making the suit exterior for now. When you get that done (I say WHEN because I have faith that ANYTHING is possible) then you can fit all the electronics inside.

It's like everyone else who made the paper versions. We know it works. All you're doing is using metal instead of paper. It WILL work. As far as being screen accurate, we shall see. Good luck. Ignore the haters.

@ Sandman0077:

- I plan on just doing the cage 1st, but in doing that, I'm making the boot-part out of the steel plate. So i have to focus on bending the plates 1st.

@ SmilingOtter:

- Yea, a bending brake should work... Any ideas where to get one really cheap? A used one mabey... Is there a website anywhere?

*UPDATE*

3372-0020.jpg

Refer to the film itself the whole issue was about power source. now im no scientist or physicist but thats what it comes down to and also a suitable flying device.

Bimmer, Im personaly involved in testing/design of wingsuits, and had already posted this video before.
In both cases (Yves Rossy and this Jet powered wingsuit flight) the wingsuit itself already is capable of a 3:1 glide angle, and the wing Yves uses gets close to a 7:1 glide ratio.

The maximum glide you can get out of the human body is 1:1 with the best tracking position.

If you want to fly a human body (plus heavy armour) than 'hiding' something the size of the Martin Jetpack underneath your suit will be closest you're gonna get ;)
If you want anywhere near realistic power to weight ratios.

But what do I know...:p

Several things:

1. Its not a costume, as has been clearly stated. Try READING the other posts.

2. I saw that 1 rocket-guy vid, where the guy has to "PIGGY-BACK" off of an airplane in order to fly, just like the "SPACESHIP ONE"-thing that won the X-PRIZE.

That is NOT what I'm going for.

What are you going for? Metal suit?
Several things:

1. Its not a costume, as has been clearly stated. Try READING the other posts.

2. I saw that 1 rocket-guy vid, where the guy has to "PIGGY-BACK" off of an airplane in order to fly, just like the "SPACESHIP ONE"-thing that won the X-PRIZE.

That is NOT what I'm going for.

"SUIT", not "COSTUME".

You WEAR a paper costume. You FIT INSIDE a steel exosuit.

*UPDATE*

Here's the Un-Welded Right Boot:

3377-b02.jpg

3379-b04.jpg

3380-b05.jpg

3381-b06.jpg

See what I mean about "GAPS"?

3376-b01.jpg

When welded, I'll put my boot inside, and weld on the bottom plates.

*****.... that thing is hideous. Good idea if I wanted to scare people.... (no offense)

Gives me an idea for a B-Movie:

"IRON SCARE CROW" or something...

(some hillbilly in an iron-armored suit terrorizing kids in a corn field or something)

- The 1st steel work I did on my suit WAS the helmet:

3383-old1.jpg

Last edited:
Wouldn't steel be too heavy to fly? I thought most planes were of aluminum construction?

Your project is really cool looking, though! I'm just not sure on the science part of it...

*****.... that thing is hideous. Good idea if I wanted to scare people.... (no offense)

Gives me an idea for a B-Movie:

"IRON SCARE CROW" or something...

(some hillbilly in an iron-armored suit terrorizing kids in a corn field or something)

3383-old1.jpg

Damn thats pretty good =)

"SUIT", not "COSTUME".
You WEAR a paper costume. You FIT INSIDE a steel exosuit.

I usually try to fit inside my costumes as well. I find it more comfortable that way.

Wouldn't steel be too heavy to fly? I thought most planes were of aluminum construction?

Your project is really cool looking, though! I'm just not sure on the science part of it...
At least Aluminum, specifically one of the Aircraft Aluminum Alloys, which is it's whole class of metals . Also Titanium, since titanium totally rules if you're insane enough to try to build things from it (tip: the cost is the least of your problems)

You're a real class act.

3383-old1.jpg

I reiterate my point: if you just go whole-hog on making a replica-quality steel costume, you will be lauded as a master.

Yes people were fools for doubting the Wright brothers, but if Orville and Wilbur were constantly talking about how they were going to invent heavier than air flight and then fly their plane to another star system, with no proof of concept other than a pile of canvas, wood, a half assembled straight-4 engine lying in their garage and some vague comments about Hannibal and the Alps, well then yeah. They'd get made fun of, and wrightly so. :love

The point is: yes we are giving you a hard time, but we're only doing it because you justifiably sound like either a crazy person or a 14 year old.

Baby. Steps. Yeah, we made it to the moon, but we didn't just strap Neil to the top of the first rocket that didn't explode on the launch pad and expect him to make it to Centauri Proxima. Stop trying to do it all at once.

You really want a powered exosuit? build a big clunky "easy" one first.

You really want a "real" metal iron man suit? build the most awesome costume of ironman yet.

Don't try to fit an exosuit into an ironman costume. It's a lot more complicated that way, and all those famous people who make breakthroughs and make huge leaps of accomplishments do it by taking small steps.

You're making the shiny outside before you even have the inside. Cart before the horse man.

Last edited:
People got to try to look at things in wider perspective...
I wonder why so many people have answers but very little questions...

Question your self How do you make steel statue?
First its a chunck of metal, then its processed, The its cast.

In past it was cast in a special sand mould or material that could withstand the heat of the liquid metal.. The cast from the mould was very crude.
Also when you weld together peice its crude from the start but if grinded and smothen out you wont se it.
Unless this guy has a enourmouse budget, i think he is heading for the right direction. And i agree.. Dont we all make our own history?

I personally chose to praise the effort of this make and not critic it.
This is not even grinded down from the mould cast or cleaned. Everything from the start is crude.
I hope the creator takes time and effort in perfecting it. I wish him the best of luck.

But i think coments like this is terible attitude: Originally Posted by IronPatriot

Exuse me for saying that is just low.

Even when we sculpted our Ironman when we first showed photos people say it looks like **** early on....

So stop killing the creativity and the joy of this build.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back