The Definitive DC Extended Universe Batsuit Research Thread

Re: The Definitive BvS: Dawn Of Justice Batsuit Research Thread

I would politely ask we drop this discussion completely. I am no longer participating in this thread because we have folks in here who are spitting in the face of accuracy and would rather argue and bicker than just discuss the suit. When someone asks a question, and I give an answer.. I have been met with nothing but arguments, insults, and frankly I am done with it. Temper tantrum? Sure. Agitated? You're damn right I am. I don't just "know" some Ironhead people. If you think that's all it takes, you're mistaken and best of luck trying to get any information. Do I have photos? Yes. Can I share them? No.. Of course not. As a professional courtesy I'd never release photos and information given to me in confidence... What I have shared? It's what I CAN share. These guys are under NDAs for quite a long time.. The photos will come out when they can. That I promise you.

The fabric? It's a stretch material.. But it is not spandex. I can't tell you the color code.. I can't tell you the shades used. I don't know. I can say it was screened in three layers, as speculated here. I can say the ink used isn't silver.. It's a gun metal grey, and that the top coat is what gives it that silver look.. I can say that the muscle suit was cast in dark grey.. I can say the cowl was cast using an 8 piece collapsible core. Run in foam latex.. I can say the inside was a work of art. Practically sculpted.. With harder parts inserted for symmetry.. And softer parts for movement. To get the proper wrinkling.. As I've said before, the statues are not accurate in pattern nor color. Only one of the six has a real suit on it.. And even that one was an unfinished and unpainted one. It was the LA premier. But all I've contributed was the colors painted on the suit? Really?

None of my information is speculation. It's not a guess. It's what I've directly been told by people involved in the making of the suit. I've offered many times to answer specific questions and if I didn't know something, I would ask. No one has taken that offer.
I've done more than enough.. Reached my hand out.. And had people spit in my face over it. Call it a temper tantrum... As I call it a statue.. In the end, it doesn't matter. But it's cool guys, I'm glad you all agree it's not a statue. That's what is REALLY important here.

You're all doing very well so far, and I do enjoy seeing at least some people here can come together and work on a mutual goal.. I truly look forward to seeing the finished fabric you all come up with, and best of luck.

Again, I'd politely ask you drop this discussion and move on with the thread. This will be the last word from me. Any further inquiries? Feel free to PM me.

Jawafive, no one was agitating Mr. Moldmaker. Someone questioned whether there was blue, gold, silver, and bronze on the actual costume. As a result, he left the thread and deleted every single one of his posts. I perceive that as throwing a temper tantrum. I think he should have thicker skin than that.

Aside from that, I'm very glad that everyone knows Jose. I'm impressed. I truly am, and I'm glad that everyone has inside information on how the suit was created. But has anyone privileged with this information contributed anything tangible to the group effort of trying to reproduce the suit? Did they tell us the type of fabric used? No. Did they tell us what specific color the fabric was? No. Did they tell us the method used to create the texture? No. Did they tell us the paint code of blue, gold, silver, and bronze used? No. Did they have a completed reference photo for us to emulate? No. So the only bit of information I got from Mr. Moldmaker is: unless you have Blue, Gold, Silver, and Bronze on your costume, it's not definitive. While I don't doubt Mr. Moldmaker, and I'm appreciative of that bit of information, it has had little impact so far on what we're doing.

At least I've postulated about 3D printing, screen printing, provided SLR photos, looked up possible screen printing companies, and I've contacted Kiyominai (as isunk suggested). Teragon has gone through the trouble of actually designing a pattern and learning about screen printing. Banner has provided his expertise about screen printing. And tons of other people have provided their enthusiasm and support. So forgive me if I don't bow down and kiss someone's feet because that person knows Jose/Ironhead staff.

Last edited:

Iv just purchased a sample of glissenette in I think the accurate colour will post when it gets here. Plus if anyone can seriously scan this pattern and get it all sorted I may be able to send a sample of my fabric just so we can have a good place to start.
or i can scan it on my printer and send the picture.

Last edited:

Wow even when your making a point your still dropping knowledge on this costume... If only you could share those secrets...we can only hope some magic on those NDA s run out . The cowl so most interesting how they solved that problem. Thank you:thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

I would politely ask we drop this discussion completely. I am no longer participating in this thread because we have folks in here who are spitting in the face of accuracy and would rather argue and bicker than just discuss the suit. When someone asks a question, and I give an answer.. I have been met with nothing but arguments, insults, and frankly I am done with it. Temper tantrum? Sure. Agitated? You're damn right I am. I don't just "know" some Ironhead people. If you think that's all it takes, you're mistaken and best of luck trying to get any information. Do I have photos? Yes. Can I share them? No.. Of course not. As a professional courtesy I'd never release photos and information given to me in confidence... What I have shared? It's what I CAN share. These guys are under NDAs for quite a long time.. The photos will come out when they can. That I promise you.

The fabric? It's a stretch Lycra. I can't tell you the color code.. I can't tell you the shades used. I don't know. I can say it was screened in three layers, as speculated here. I can say the ink used isn't silver.. It's a gun metal grey, and that the top coat is what gives it that silver look.. I can say that the muscle suit was cast in dark grey.. I can say the cowl was cast using an 8 piece collapsible core. Run in foam latex.. I can say the inside was a work of art. Practically sculpted.. With harder parts inserted for symmetry.. And softer parts for movement. To get the proper wrinkling.. As I've said before, the statues are not accurate in pattern nor color. Only one of the six has a real suit on it.. And even that one was an unfinished and unpainted one. It was the LA premier. But all I've contributed was the colors painted on the suit? Really?

None of my information is speculation. It's not a guess. It's what I've directly been told by people involved in the making of the suit. I've offered many times to answer specific questions and if I didn't know something, I would ask. No one has taken that offer.
I've done more than enough.. Reached my hand out.. And had people spit in my face over it. Call it a temper tantrum... As I call it a statue.. In the end, it doesn't matter. But it's cool guys, I'm glad you all agree it's not a statue. That's what is REALLY important here.

You're all doing very well so far, and I do enjoy seeing at least some people here can come together and work on a mutual goal.. I truly look forward to seeing the finished fabric you all come up with, and best of luck.

Again, I'd politely ask you drop this discussion and move on with the thread. This will be the last word from me. Any further inquiries? Feel free to PM me.[/QUOTE

1 Minute Ago Apr 9, 2016, 6:08 PM - Re: The Definitive BvS: Dawn Of Justice Batsuit Research Thread

Last edited by a moderator:

Ok, try 2 : same sample, more distressing on the strips. I do feel like the statue/display has less clean strips than the studio suit. Less jagged edges. So I don't want to go too far
test_suit.png

Ok, try 2 : same sample, more distressing on the strips. I do feel like the statue/display has less clean strips than the studio suit. Less jagged edges. So I don't want to go too far
View attachment 612971[

looks great dude i hope you dont mind iv added some colour and more scuffs etc to see what you think? pattern.png/QUOTE]

I don't mind at all, all critics and suggestions are welcome. I'll see to add a bit more scruff like you did, but like I said, based on this picture :
Batsuit_Production-12.jpg
Specifically this section that I'm replicating here as a base :
batsuit_section1.png
There isn't that much scruff to me. The section right next to it however will have a lot more, according to this picture.
See what I'm gunning for ?

I don't mind at all, all critics and suggestions are welcome. I'll see to add a bit more scruff like you did, but like I said, based on this picture :
View attachment 613018
Specifically this section that I'm replicating here as a base :
View attachment 613019
There isn't that much scruff to me. The section right next to it however will have a lot more, according to this picture.
See what I'm gunning for ?
yeah i get it now dude your doing it in sections.

Yep, exactly. Rather than design a pattern to be printed in one big sheet that people could cut up and sew together to make one suit, I'd rather use a dye sub muscle suit base for the shape, and design each section as accurately as possible, scuffs and all, exactly where they should be. And depending on what size it can be printed in, cut up the pattern in sections, or group of sections that would fit the machines available, to be sewn together later, if that makes sense.

Yep, exactly. Rather than design a pattern to be printed in one big sheet that people could cut up and sew together to make one suit, I'd rather use a dye sub muscle suit base for the shape, and design each section as accurately as possible, scuffs and all, exactly where they should be. And depending on what size it can be printed in, cut up the pattern in sections, or group of sections that would fit the machines available, to be sewn together later, if that makes sense.

yes it does and i think its the best way possible.

anyone have any ideas about the fabric on the cape's interior?

anyone have any ideas about the fabric on the cape's interior?

from first look it looks like thin denim jean material or even furnishing fabric. I'm convinced though it's some kind of custom fabric they had done up.

While we're on scans, I received my emblem this week and well the I might be interested in remodeling it if I can find a way... Looks so cool in it's flat state

More than likely it is custom. I've been told nothing on it is store bought so that makes sense.

I had a good long chat with one of the guys who was working on getting the license to replicate the suits that were done for the movie, let's see if I remember some of the tidbits...

The fabric is custom. The whole thing was done through Ironhead, I don't think they made the fabric, but I know they were heavily involved with construction. It was described as almost a 3D print of layering to give it depth.

The costumes might eventually be available on a statue, exactly like the one that I've seen a couple photos available above... but the price tag would be around $10,000. So, uh... yeah.

People have said that the emblem was printed on to the fabric... it was not. It was definitely glued on to the fabric after the suit had been sewn up. There are a lot of people with either great replicas or various versions of the originals out there... this one seems pretty spot-on to me, especially because it's got the chest shape: https://www.etsy.com/listing/261505...dawn-of-justice-emblem?ref=shop_home_active_5

The cape is really interesting, the way the pleats and folds were glued down... Couldn't place the material though, again, it's a custom as the top was more leathery and the bottom was more cracked/dry latex-y.

The gauntlets were a really cool piece. They were stiff, but they definitely felt like shaped leather. And yes, I did get to touch the originals.

Uhm... I dunno, those are my random thoughts and contributions at this time, hopefully somebody will find them useful!

-M

People have said that the emblem was printed on to the fabric... it was not. It was definitely glued on to the fabric after the suit had been sewn up. There are a lot of people with either great replicas or various versions of the originals out there... this one seems pretty spot-on to me, especially because it's got the chest shape: https://www.etsy.com/listing/261505...dawn-of-justice-emblem?ref=shop_home_active_5

-M

Well the only problem with this is that not all of us are 6'3 weigh over 250LBS with a massive chest LOL.

Decided to just delete what I said. That simple.

Last edited:

Personally I call it a suit display but I guess people are free to call it what they want it is not the most important factor here.
All I want to know is details on the suit not the fiberglass bodyform that's wearing it.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back