Joe Quinones' Batman '89 Batsuit Build

Leatherwing

Hi all! First post :)
I'm planning on building the Batsuit as seen in the Batman '89 comic.
It's gonna be a slowly but surely kind of build. Mostly using parts by other, more talented makers.
Here's the main reference:

Quinones b89.X8WSDX - kopie.jpg

My first step was to recreate this image using photographs and keeping in mind what products I want to use (so, for example, the fins are the Bat of Burbank ones, because I already have those). The purpose was to get a clear idea what a realistic best case scenario would be. Here it is:

Quinones b89.real final2.jpg

As you can see, I stayed really close to Quinones' drawing, with the exeption of the turned head, because, well, you know.
Also, the emblem appears to be the Returns emblem in this drawing, but it often looks different in the actual comic, so I'm going to make an emblem based on the following panel:

c6p4 e - kopie.jpg

Which is just about it for the concept phase, I think. I'll update on the actual build the coming Friday. Stay tuned :)

I got a panther suit a while ago. It was for a good price, because it had blue residue on it (for related reasons, the history of the suit is kinda 'eh', so I 'll decline to name any names. I didn't join here to throw shade). Anyhow, the suit has proved usefull to me for making the gloves on my previous build, and now it provides a nice torso. I was planning on scrubbing all the paint (and bits of other stuff) off yesterday, but I had a bit of a migraine starting up, so the paint remover fumes and TL lights weren't exactly agreeing with me. Still got a good couple of hours in though,.

Here's the torso as it appeared beforehand:
IMG_4657.JPG

IMG_4647.JPG

(the light bits appeared to be some kind of cardboard paper that I feared wouldn't come off)

And here it is now:

IMG_4659.JPG

IMG_4660.JPG

Came out very smooth :)
On to the rest!

Great start! I like the emblem, though if you don't mind a suggestion, I'd smooth out the corners from the bat head into the "shoulders" so thst it's curved rather than sharp corners (as it is in your reference pic). But that's just my opinion, obviously you do whatever you want, it looks great as it is.
emblem-f-jpg.jpg

Great start! I like the emblem, though if you don't mind a suggestion, I'd smooth out the corners from the bat head into the "shoulders" so thst it's curved rather than sharp corners (as it is in your reference pic). But that's just my opinion, obviously you do whatever you want, it looks great as it is.
I certainly never mind suggestions. The sharper corners were a stylistic choice that felt most in line with the 92 and 95 emblems. However, I do think something got lost in translation from to reference pic to my file, so I'll round those corners out to see what that looks like. (y)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back