The Definitive DC Extended Universe Batsuit Research Thread

Re: The Definitive BvS: Dawn Of Justice Batsuit Research Thread

Been doing this for ten years and making displays for over 6. The statue argument is irrelevant.
There are things I know about the suit that I simply won't share out of professional courtesy to the creators and Ironhead studios. Some things you guys are saying is true and some simply isn't. The friend of a friend told me this and that I simply do not believe. I as well as a very small amount of people outside of the studio have had the opportunity to observe the suit up close without glass or a barrier.

Last edited:

What's funny is I have word from the dude who made the suit.. From the dude who painted the suit.. From the dude who put Ben in the suit.. AND PHOTOS showing the suit. It isn't speculation.. At this point it's just knowledge.

But yeah. Totally color temperature making all those painted colors. :facepalm
View attachment 612431

I understand debating things that aren't apparent.. But when they're literally on officially released photos..I'm not trying to be a ***** but come on man.

Hey now, I never said my opinion was gospel. So what's the attitude for? The only opinion in this thread that I'm certain is wrong is your definition of a statue.

This company seems to be able to do all of that kind of screen printing. Watch the video and then read about the different types of screen printing. Maybe I’ll email them or call them.

http://www.jakprints.com/screen-printing-effects/

Just about any screen printing shop can do any of those techniques. I've done just about all of them at the shop I work at. Not every shop would have it on hand, but it's stuff they can easily order from their regular ink suppliers.

Just about any screen printing shop can do any of those techniques. I've done just about all of them at the shop I work at. Not every shop would have it on hand, but it's stuff they can easily order from their regular ink suppliers.

Banner, do you know if you can screen print in 2 layers? Like black puffy ink on top of metallic grey?

This video shows the basics of underbase printing (which is basically what you're asking). So yes, it's possible. You'd print the metallic or silver first, flash dry that layer, then print the puff black layer next.

I've thought about trying to do a suit, but even working in the business I'd have to break the design up into sections and sew the sections together since the largest printing pallets we have are only 16" x 24".

I think it would be possible to get close to what they did for the suits, but without knowing pantone colors for the inks used, the specific type of inks used and the material they were printing on, you wouldn't be able to get exactly what they did, but you could get it looking close.

Doing custom printing for a job like this would be RIDICULOUSLY expensive and honestly I doubt you could find many (if any) shops that would want to do this. Screen printers like EASY jobs, and if you brought something in like this they'd either probably just laugh or quote you a price similar to the value of a "first born son". :p Because it's not just the supplies... it's the actual printing and most likely redoing the artwork to get it into a useable form. That's why these suits are so expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've thought about trying to do a suit, but even working in the business I'd have to break the design up into sections and sew the sections together since the largest printing pallets we have are only 16" x 24".

Doing custom printing for a job like this would be RIDICULOUSLY expensive and honestly I doubt you could find many (if any) shops that would want to do this. Screen printers like EASY jobs, and if you brought something in like this they'd either probably just laugh or quote you a price similar to the value of a "first born son". :p Because it's not just the supplies... it's the actual printing and most likely redoing the artwork to get it into a useable form. That's why these suits are so expensive.

You would probably have to break up the design and then sew them together anyway, since the actual suit is done in patches and sections, and connected with seams.

Yeah screen printers probably only want to do T-shirts and Jerseys. But maybe if we have enough volume, in terms of a group buy on this board, maybe they'll do it for us.

It would be inter sting to know what we can do to make it easier for them, and reduce the cost as much as we can. Banner, this 16x24" pallet size, is it a standard size ? What kind of files do they use for the screening ? By that I mean what kind of rework do they do usually ? Because if we can provide a file with minimal adjustment to do, it's already a gain of time and probably money too.

Personnally I was thinking of starting with a base like the basic dye sub base I've seen on this forum, as a guide for the sections of the suit. Then you cut it up strategically in parts that would fit a standard pallet size for screen printing, and reassemble later. Actually, if you cut it in parts small enough that it would fit the front (and back) of a t-shirt, theorically you could just pick a grey t-shirt that fits the base color the most, and print your parts on as many t-shirts as you need. Might be a waste of fabric, but easier for the company that would do it. The design to be printed isn't that complicated neither, one layer of ragged edges grey strips, then one layer of tire tracks. I could probably whip up that in Illustrator if I can find the base body pattern for dye sub.

Something like that :
test_suit.png
Just a test of one lower abdominal panel, the grey is not right, but I like how the strips turned out. Tried to match the scratches and imperfections as close as I can based on both the statue/display and the ironhead pics. Let me know what you guys think.

It would be inter sting to know what we can do to make it easier for them, and reduce the cost as much as we can. @Banner, this 16x24" pallet size, is it a standard size ? What kind of files do they use for the screening ? By that I mean what kind of rework do they do usually ? Because if we can provide a file with minimal adjustment to do, it's already a gain of time and probably money too.

Personnally I was thinking of starting with a base like the basic dye sub base I've seen on this forum, as a guide for the sections of the suit. Then you cut it up strategically in parts that would fit a standard pallet size for screen printing, and reassemble later. Actually, if you cut it in parts small enough that it would fit the front (and back) of a t-shirt, theorically you could just pick a grey t-shirt that fits the base color the most, and print your parts on as many t-shirts as you need. Might be a waste of fabric, but easier for the company that would do it. The design to be printed isn't that complicated neither, one layer of ragged edges grey strips, then one layer of tire tracks. I could probably whip up that in Illustrator if I can find the base body pattern for dye sub.

Something like that :
View attachment 612730
Just a test of one lower abdominal panel, the grey is not right, but I like how the strips turned out. Tried to match the scratches and imperfections as close as I can based on both the statue/display and the ironhead pics. Let me know what you guys think.
kiyominai just had a discussion about fabric textures in his thread
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=259103

maybe he could give us an insight about the approach to screen printing these materials

Love it Teragon! But I think the messy silver, should be messier. Your design is too uniform. It should be very patchy and "splotchy." Look at post 413 and 414. And sometimes, the black tire tracks don't even lie on the messy silver, it's shifted to the side. I have even more high resolution reference photos if you need.

I think the weathering can be done by us with a knife. It doesn't have to be incorporated into the actual screen printing. If we don't make the weathering a part of the screen printing pattern, it'll make the screen printing simpler, and perhaps cheaper. It also gives us the freedom to weather the suit however we want once we get the fabric.

Lastly, we need to make sure your design's spacing and size is accurate to scale.

I'm not sure about the self weathering with a knife, if the screen printing is done well you may damage the fabric behind beyond repair. I'd personally prefer to have already a certain amount of damage areas, at least the bigger ones visible on the pics we have, and you can further weather it yourself after. Except if somebody confirms that it would indeed be cheaper to screen print.
i checked the thread about the screen printing, very informative, I hope he will come take a look at ours, any advice would be more than welcome. Any more high red pics also, the more I have, the better I can replicate.
About the accuracy, I know I have the exact number of "columns", orientation, and as far I can tell spacing too, I did the design righ over a studio pic of the suit, but it got a bit pixaleted while zooming on the panel, so I can't guarantee its 100% accuracy.
Gonna work on a V2 with more damaged strips, like seen in post 413.

The most important thing I've gathered is that a few of you are idiots for arguing over it being a statue...was it really necessary to agitate someone who had real information about the creation of it?

And definition or not that display is essentially a statue...spongy or not, cloth or not, body form or not. It stands in one place as tribute to the work done, it's a statue.

Jawafive, no one was agitating Mr. Moldmaker. Someone questioned whether there was blue, gold, silver, and bronze on the actual costume. As a result, he left the thread and deleted every single one of his posts. I perceive that as throwing a temper tantrum. I think he should have thicker skin than that.

Aside from that, I'm very glad that everyone knows Jose. I'm impressed. I truly am, and I'm glad that everyone has inside information on how the suit was created. But has anyone privileged with this information contributed anything tangible to the group effort of trying to reproduce the suit? Did they tell us the type of fabric used? No. Did they tell us what specific color the fabric was? No. Did they tell us the method used to create the texture? No. Did they tell us the paint code of blue, gold, silver, and bronze used? No. Did they have a completed reference photo for us to emulate? No. So the only bit of information I got from Mr. Moldmaker is: unless you have Blue, Gold, Silver, and Bronze on your costume, it's not definitive. While I don't doubt Mr. Moldmaker, and I'm appreciative of that bit of information, it has had little impact so far on what we're doing.

At least I've postulated about 3D printing, screen printing, provided SLR photos, looked up possible screen printing companies, and I've contacted Kiyominai (as isunk suggested). Teragon has gone through the trouble of actually designing a pattern and learning about screen printing. Banner has provided his expertise about screen printing. And tons of other people have provided their enthusiasm and support. So forgive me if I don't bow down and kiss someone's feet because that person knows Jose/Ironhead staff.

@cauynd,

you have done a great job contributing. My comment is directed at those who feel the need to google definitions of words in order to prove some point. Some stupid, trivial point instead of contributing to the thread while throwing around 'how much you know but won't tell' without contributing anything.

So please don't feel my comment was directed at you or him.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back