The Clone Wars Jedi General Armor Project

only 10 from the molds? what are you using? the silicone that i usually use gets 50 - 60 helmets before it starts to tear, and then another dozen or so B grade pulls before it gets tossed.

and that's a seamless glove mold over the helmet, so it's getting stretched and pulled a lot.

i figured you'd be able to churn those out forever :)

Part of it is time and personal wel being. Not just the molds. The mold would be one factor. The others are the time involved, the drive to meet up, the hours on top of our jobs, and that it's quickly becoming summer in SoCal. Not so much fun laying glass when it's like 100 degrees outside. Donny's married and trying to start his career as a lawyer. I have a full time job making digital effects and no real work space. I use my dining room, which doesn't go over that well with my roomate. Like we've said, we'll see how it goes and see what we can do afterwards.

It's not really about the silicone not holding up. Actually, I'm not concerned about the silicone as I am about the fiberglass jacket, which takes more abuse. I'm sure the silicone will last far more than 10 pulls.

But overall, it has less to do with the mold itself and more to do with our time/bodies. Like Chris mentioned, he's got a full time job as a digital effects artist with a major company and I'm married and a lawyer. On top of that, I've got my own personal costume projects for myself and my wife that we need to get finished for the summer troops/cons and I have also gotten some orders for leatherwork and some Zam Wesell parts.

I don't wanna sound like we're two *****y little girls. We're not. I wanna help out as much as I can with this armor. But from the beginning we conceived it as a small run.

A little update. I know it's been dark for a couple weeks. I was out of town for my birthday and then working and alternately coughing from allergies last weekend.

I sprayed the Obi-Wan jedi symbol last night using a new masking technique that Donny recommended. Worked out great; the lines are super crisp and the shape is super tight. I'll be spraying the Anakin tonight and weathering the Obi-Wan. I'll take pics.

I know I've said this before but we are actually very close to sale time. I'll have the two armor sets done and take nice pretty pictures on Friday. The sale should go live on Sunday or Monday.

The Obi-Wan shoulder were weathered tonight. The Anakin shoulder got sprayed. That will be done tomorrow night. It'll all be done soon and ready for pretty, pretty pictures.

DSC00644.jpg

Oh, it's not nearly that good. In fact, the Obi-Wan has fingerprints on it!! Gasp!

That's my armor and I plan to do some work to it later on so I did the weathering quickly for pictures. It's the drawback to this weathering powder stuff. It barely sticks to the paint but it sticks to skin oil like crazy!

SALE UPDATE:

I'll be posting again on Friday with a pre-emptive strike. It will lay out everything you'll need to know prior to the sale going live on Sunday. It'll have sizes, prices, pictures, and all the info so interested parties can do their homework and be ready when the sale goes live. It will plot out how the sale's gonna go and how to get in touch with me and all that. I know there's gonna be a rush so I wanna try and make sure no one can say, "But I didn't know what was going on and I missed my chance." This way anyone interested knows what is going to happen and won't be out of the loop.

Thanks dude! Yeah, it turned out well. I'm gonna offer this technique (metallic duplicolor with black acrylic washes) as the "real world" paint job. I plan to offer a matte finish version (duplicolor primer and black washes) as the animated version.

The sale will go live on Sunday, April 19th 2009 at 12 pm Pacific. At that time I'll post a For Sale thread. It will pretty much have all the same information as this post. This is a heads up so everyone knows all the information ahead of time since in all likelyhood the sale will go fast. Read through this and figure out what you need and want to buy on Sunday. Write it down. Do your homework. Study.

Slots:

There are 10 spots for armor. Ten total. Not ten of each. Ten slots. First come first served. Once the sale goes live, interested parties will email me for their spot. This sale is going up on 5 different forums so I can't weed through PM's and posts from all those places to figure out who got to me first.

Deposit:

A deposit of $100, via paypal, will be required with your spot. This is refundable if you decide to back out.

Raw/ Painted:

Raw armor comes pretty much straight from the molds. It'll be in white gel coat. The excess fiberglass will be rough trimmed. Grinding, shaping, sanding, finishing, and painting will be up to you.

Painted armor comes fully painted, weathered, and finished. The chest armor will have velcro added to the back plate. Obviously for an extra cost and work time.

Paint Schemes:

Chosen One Matte: This is the animated style. Matte grey paint scheme with dry brush weathering.

Chosen One Metallic: This is the "real world" version. Metallic paint scheme with dry drush weathering. This version requires a longer work time due to an extra paint step.

The Negotiator: White matte paint scheme with dry brush weathering.

Payment:

For raw armor, the remaining cost will be due, via paypal, when the armor is ready to ship.

For painted armor, half the cost will be due when the armor is ready to paint. The remaining cost due when the armor is ready to ship. This is to cover cost of materials.

Work Time:

If you order raw armor it should be done pretty quick. Maybe 2-4 weeks at most.

Painted armor could be considerably longer. The time adds up as the armor pieces add up. Expect 6-8 weeks. I know this seems long but remember I'll basically be working on all this armor at the same time.

Cost:

Chest Armor

Raw_armor.jpg

OWK_chest.jpg

Ani_chest.jpg

Chest armor, rough trimmed: $150
Chest armor, painted: $250

Shoulder Armor

OWK_shoulders.jpg

Ani_shoulders.jpg

Shoulder armor, raw: $50
Shoulder armor, painted: $100

Bicep armor

Bicep.jpg

Bicep armor, primer: $25
Bicep armor, painted: $50

Gauntlets

Gauntlet.jpg

Gauntlet armor, primer: $150
Gauntlet armor, painted: $200

Hand Guards

Hand_guard.jpg

Handguards, primer: $10
Handguards: painted: $20

Armor Sets

Chosen One

Ani_set.jpg

Chest and shoulder armor, raw: $200
Chest and shoulder armor, painted: $300

The Negotiator

OWK_set.jpg

Chest and shoulder armor, raw: $200
Chest and shoulder armor, painted: $300

Full_OWK_set.jpg

Full upper armor, raw: $300
Full upper armor, painted: $500

Sizing:

Everything should be one size fits all. The chest armor and shoulders are made in a size that should be pretty good for most people. There are a few items that have specific sizing.

Forearms:

These are a tight fit. Made to recreate the lean look of the show. They will only fit people with smaller arms. The inside diameter at the top is around 11" and around 10" at the wrist. Make sure you measure your arms and hands to make sure they fit before you order these. I can't guarantee they'll fit if you don't.

Biceps:

These aren't as tight a fit as the forearms. The inside diameter is 12.5" They fit over my arms with room to spare that I will probably have to fill with foam. The size would only be an issue if you are a big bodybuilder and have 20" pythons.

Ok, peeps! That's all the info you need to know. Figure out what you want and get ready for noon on Sunday. Any questions or concerns you have need to be addressed between now and Sunday morning. Do your homework and it will probably help you get a jump on the sale. Thanks as always for the interest!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back