The BAZINKATRON BFG1966 Retro Flash Gordon 1960's Blaster Laser Ray Pistol Gun BUILD!

Harada357

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
What the Heck is the BAZINKATRON BFG1966 Retro "Flash Gordon" - 1960's Blaster Laser Ray Pistol Gun BUILD ?

RPF 2.jpg EDITED - Adde4 new photos 10/18/2014.
Pic 3 Version 1.jpg EDITED - 10/23/2014 - NEW PHOTOS ADDED - SEE LAST PAGE

PARTS.jpg EDITED 11/02/2014 - More photos added - New project Version 2 SEE LAST PAGE

It is the journey of a Kid who fell in love with Science Fiction in the 1960's and started building "props" when he was five. I saw a picture of a pistol on the cover of a 1960's Comic book "FLASH GORDON" and spent the next 45yrs working on craft and skill to recreate a version of the pistol I saw as a child. Today there are many sophisticated ways to create props and scratch builds with incredible shapes and plastics that are limited only by the imagination. This prop was one for my "Bucket List" - and only represents one VERSION of a multiple variation series of 1960's inspired Retro Ray guns. I have photos of the first version that is almost complete. I cast the individual parts in resin and created a method to modular create variations from the base design that can end in ten to twelve totally individual unique variations of my favorite base design. Most people these days are focused on current film or franchise builds in exact replicas. I choose to depart that path and follow a unique - high quality - interesting designs - based on RETRO 1960's - 70's - 80's - for a collection of PULP science fiction blasters that fit that Era. I hope some people will find it interesting.

I want to personally thank Shawn Morgan and Kevin Jones who helped me with hours of tutorials on advice in learning casting techniques - so i could make my own casts in Resin. THANKS GUYS - Your AWESOME !!! Thanks to SMOOTH ON - for the plastics to make it easy.

With each project I learn better ways of achieving a goal. The pictures show the project 2/3's complete.

Why is it called the BAZINKATRON BFG1966? - An old friend Roger Steinway (History Teacher - Historian - Photographer - Author) used to talk Science fiction and coined the phrase "Bazinkatron" to describe a Highly sophisticated Science Fiction device - that works for any story line - to complete the Technology gap to complete the story - Such as The Star Trek Enterprise used WARP DRIVE ( i.e. Bazinkatron technology) could travel beyond light speed each week into a new adventure between planets.

BFG1666 = "DOOM BFG9000" Big ******** Gun 9000 = with the Year 1966 - Origins of the inspiration.

Since there seems to be be NO INTEREST in 1960s' Ray Guns - there will be no kits or investment for mass production runs. The only successful Ray Gun line is the WETA Dr Grordbort's Ray Gun line.

PLEASE take a look at the photo and give me some feedback. I was going to wait to post until the model was finished - but i still have weeks of refinement work - I could not wait. The only thing I am hoping for is some feedback. Like - don't like - Not worth the effort? - ... anything. Thanks.

GORDON

Thanks. Gordon.2.jpg10.jpgc.jpg7.jpga1.jpg5.jpg4.jpg3.jpg1.jpg9.jpg

Last edited:
Re: The BAZINKATRON BFG1966 Retro Flash Gordon 1960's Blaster Laser Ray Pistol Gun BU

Soooooooo corney.

I actually want one. Its a good balance of era and quirk. Good job.

Re: The BAZINKATRON BFG1966 Retro Flash Gordon 1960's Blaster Laser Ray Pistol Gun BU

Here is the FLASH Gordon Comic that was the inspiration:

This might help put things in perspective: Corney as it may seem - the Ray Gun of old was supposed to LOOK like a Rocket with a pistol grip. : )

Gordon
Flash-Gordon-05_1967.jpg flash-gordon1.jpg Flash-Gordon-Comic.jpg

Last edited:

that is AWESOME!!! great idea, design and execution!! :thumbsup

Looks really good. I wish there would be a revival of this old school scifi but with the focus on shiny cgi it'll never happen despite the popularity of retro things.

Just from the title I was expecting something from Sheldon Cooper.

Thanks for the all the responses - If the interest keeps up - there is a lot more pics to share. I actually built a version in RHINO 3D and made a complete 3D model - in the process of making the actual gun - I went through a variety of changes and alterations that were slight departure from the original design. I do intend to build the 3D version also - or something much closer to that original design. Here are some pics of the concept model:

FlashgordonBLUEPRINT1.jpgFlashgordonBLUEPRINT2.jpgDarkPistol.jpgFlashGordonPistol3D.JPG

The detail and lanyard rings will be added later. Many are turned off by the design. I like to think the Retro design as a unique perspective to any collection.

Just some ideas. I know i could have the pistol just 3D printed - but there is not enough response or desire to mass produce the pistol vs cost. So - scratch by hand it is.

What do you think about the 3D design?

I like it, it has a kind of "anime" look to it.

I like it allot. and the 3D design rocks. not much Into the retro.but this i could go for. keep the wip pic's coming.

Here are some more in Progress Pics. Bondo on the handle. Preparing for sanding. I took some pics with the upper receiver clean without rubber bands or top section. There are still a lot of small detail going into the kit - this is only the rough main body. The project is really taking shape. Thanks to all those who offer feedback and encouragement. Now for the pics!

What do you think?
AA2.jpgAA3.jpgAA1.jpgAA4.jpgAA5.jpgAA6.jpgAA7.jpgAA9.jpg

When I was in fifth grade - I was reading Pulp Science Fiction books - and Comics. Television had not really caught on to programming enough science fiction shows to satisfy my hunger for more Science Fiction adventure. I found a book in the elementary Library called the "Science Fiction Bestiary" that reprinted a collection of some of the best Science Fiction stories of the time. One story in particular captured my imagination - called "A Martian Odyssey." It had Rockets, Monsters, Ray guns, and strange aliens. The story had an interesting twist at the end. It is a short story that can be read in only a few minutes at a single sitting. It was originally published in 1938. It is doubtful some members would EVER see this work - much less read it. I thought I would share the story that inspired so much imagination. Arther C. Clark comments in the forward of this story. It is the foundation of MANY derivative works and elements incorporated into several science fiction films. The science is somewhat dated - but I urge you to step back - take a time capsule back in time to the early days of Science Fiction and see that even now - 76yrs later - a good story can still entertain. This Blaster prop would fit into story of our hero stranded and alone - marching across the Martian desert trying to survive the horrors that await. Enjoy.

View attachment A Martion Odessey 1934 Final.pdf

I once had that Remco Blaster when I was a youngster and had kept what was left of it (Hard play had broken many parts) for years. I eventually handed it off to a friend for his resouces in prop buuilding. Seeing this build kinda makes me wish I still had it.

Retro science fiction and props like this are getting some attention lately. The new franchise "Space Command" is a testament to this genre that can stir the imagination so well.

http://spacecommandmovie.com/

I've also read "A Martian Odessey" many years ago, and it's still a fun read.

Keep up the great work, Harada 357.

Retro science fiction and props like this are getting some attention lately. The new franchise "Space Command" is a testament to this genre that can stir the imagination so well.

http://spacecommandmovie.com/

I've also read "A Martian Odessey" many years ago, and it's still a fun read.

Thanks for the reply - SPACE COMMAND is AWESOME !!! Learned something new! I will be following the web site and hope to see the full series soon.

As for the OLD REMCO Hamilton Invaders pistol: The pistol has been preserved for more prop builds: Here is the link to that thread:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/memorializ...rs-pistol-224692/?highlight=hamilton+invaders

Maybe there is more interest than i thought!

Still puttying and sanding. I was tempted to add more fine detail - but it detracts from the sleek detail already present. Since i can mold infinite combinations - I can build as many as i want with as many variations as I want. Here is the basis for one variation. A Flash Gordon Squirt gun - the squirt gun is child scale and much smaller than the original Hamilton pistol. It is clearly derivative of the Hamilton Design. I am making a full size version with the Hamilton Base.
dfddddfd7.JPGdsssd.JPGFlash Gordon Water pistol 2014 AWESOME.JPG

Last edited:

UPDATED PICTURES - The pistol is coming along - needs a lot of clean up. But hear are some preliminary shots of the work in progress.

Paint Schemes are still being considered. This one will be base Metallic Blue.

Comments PLEASE: : ) Please tell me what you think:

Test Paint 1.jpgtest paint 2.jpgTest Paint 3.jpg

I really like it, cool project!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back