The Avengers - Loki's Spear Build WIP (Completed Scepter phtos pg. 2)

Revival!

Okay, not really, I never really stopped. It's hillarious to me how much thought and work I put into this prop on a weekly basis as I'm not even that huge a Loki fan, I'm firmly a Volstagg/Sif/Thor fangirl. But I can't deny the film designs for this thing are rad as hell.

So, I've been doing a v2.0 on the scepter while I also work on the spear. I wasn't 100% happy with the last version, I wanted a better assembly, smoother joints and just generally a smoother assembly all together.

The messup: I included a part on the scepter that should only appear on the spear. Mine compared to a screengrab:
m5g3uwk.jpg

I also didn't have the proper angle of insertion between the shaft and head. So, Time to refine how I do that, buck assembly time!
fmDP4Is.jpg

qDW2n0T.jpg

I also had the misfortune of my tin cure mold for the head base have some premature shrinking, so I had to completely re-do the head mold. Since the cold cast bronze turned out to not work anyways, I opted to nix the multiple parts for the head, as I only had it that way in order to do two different cold cast powders. The newly assembled head:
809HmAw.jpg

Mold time! This time I opted for a two part box mold instead of a glove mold, used up a whole block of plastalina for this bad boy. I may have gone overboard on registration keys.
TmJcKq7.jpg

The spear shaft also got a buck assembly treatment, with an assembly point where the shaft meets the head and again halfway down the shaft, the seam is hidden nicely in the existing grooves in the shaft:
8daqI6o.jpg

The parts for the scepter (not including the gem cage arms, they will also be affixed to the piece):
YQL4mtK.jpg

And for the Spear:
B3cCuwv.jpg

Insert over a month of fighting with failures in seals and bad mother molds. Murphy was rampant in my workshop.

Molds fixed, and now the first really usable scepter casts next to the master, with the ommition of the redundant part on the lower blade assembly.
ylB7Gqm.jpg

I'll be posting more in the coming weeks as Scepter 2.0 goes to paint and the spear is molded!

Got new LEDs! Wasn't satisfied with the brightness of the last version of gem. Going to run this new gem with a 4chip LED.
M207eJm.jpg

Will post more photos as soon as I have the test gem out of the mold!

Gem time! Got much better results this time, used one-third the tint, added the 4 chip LED and voila!

WgcFvgh.jpg

This is one of those rare time I actually like having a few small bubbles in the cast, as they light up like stars when hit with the LED, but my first try at this still had way too many. Got much better results by prepping the mold with ease release 200 (instead of that crappy stuff that's recommended by the resin manufacturer) and warming the resin in some hot water prior to mixing. Just need to hit some of the grooves with some weathering and mount it to the head cast. I've also worked it out so that I can fit 4 23a batteries in parallel into the battery case to provide a much longer running time.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! I'm so glad I could make something others enjoy just as much as I do.

I finally got the step by step for this up on my site: http://joysutton.com/2014/04/05/loki-scepter-v-2-0-step-by-step/ I've been neglecting a lot of my web self promotion on purpose lately, as I'm not trying to make a point of putting my work out there while I have no room for any more commissions. I'm going to touch base with all the folks who've been PMing me about buying one today and tomorrow, the surge of interest has been incredible.

The long and short of it is that I don't want to take any more orders/deposits until I finish this first batch. I have the last orders cats up and am in the process of getting them finished and ready to ship. After all of batch one are in their owner's hands, I'll open up a limited run. The number offered will depends highly on when I get these last four out, as I'll be moving to a new city in July, so I will only accept as many as I can get out before then. I'll then open another batch after I get settled in Atlanta if there's still interest.

Thanks so much again for your interest and kind words, and I'll keep you posted!

Also how about that mid credits scene in CA:WS? :D

Tell me about it! I'm in the process of 3D printing one of these (started about a week ago). Talk about good timing!

Wow I am lax about updating this thread!

It is DONE! Here's what happened (also two moves since the last post!)

Firstly, new head cast, that first cast was...well...a valuable learning experience.
bG0ySL2.jpg

The shaft was split! I decided to hide the assembly point along a groove line, and it's fairly inconspicuous.
MhYhIsk.jpg

Here's the three main pieces being prepped for molding. You can sorta see the buck that supports the shaft assembly here.
M9D9UwV.jpg

Mold prep! The biggest I have done. Prepping the clay took ages.
dfjxLxA.jpg

And silicone! a small area tried to lock, but could be salvaged. This thing is a beast.
Wk0YAHv.jpg

And the first casts!
GEmcyPj.jpg

1BQ3VIT.jpg

2OyTfP8.jpg

Slowly getting weathered, the assembly is pretty much the same so no pics of that. I did add a new LED to increase brightness. You can see the difference here next to an old scepter.
EGuWRAs.jpg

Assembly point is just baaaaarely visible here.
wF1mnpY.jpg

Bonuses as a flashlight!
dJ8dzDS.jpg

And now, the completed Spear, at long long last. My biggest, most complex prop ever. It's taller than my husband! And that is no small feat!

yrl4KEG.jpg

IS6UrQ7.jpg

QaDRNkn.jpg

Thanks everyone for following this. It's been immensely challenging and really improved so many of my skills. Please ask any questions you have, I live to share!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back