The Avengers - Loki's Spear Build WIP (Completed Scepter phtos pg. 2)

Re: The Avengers - Loki's Spear Build WIP

Holy lord this is amazing. I want to help a friend make a Namor Trident for SDCC this year. Im definitely coming back to this thread for help. Amazing! Man. A girl thats into stuff. Your husband is lucky. Wish my GF was into making awesome things!

Y'all are too kind! Glad I can offer some help for other projects!

So, I'm doing some hard thinking on my finishing plan for the spear, and as much as I love the finish of this cold cast brass powder, I'm questioning whether it works here. Looking through my ref library, the finish on the screen used prop is much more yellow toned and glossy at the base, with massive weathering.

Movie still:
w3ecVpL.jpg

So, I took a few minutes and did a quick gold spray coat on the trash backplate (from when my mold got borked)and did some super quick and dirty weathering with some acrylics. Here's the result, below the non-weathered cold cast backplate and shaft.
acixe6X.jpg

So, be brutally honest, which way looks more screen accurate to you guys?

To be brutally honest, I can't tell with that camera :/

To be brutally honest, I can't tell with that camera :/
I can remedy that, slightly out of focus, but I was trying to outrun a dying camera battery. Weta Hobbit book in frame for color tone reference. No flash under CFLs.
DhC5etF.jpg

Much better! So far I like the one on the bottom more. Is that the painted one?

Got the painting done yesterday, just barely squeezed it in before the storms headed our way. Gonna be polishing up the blades and weathering the lot today. Got some pics of most of the scepter version slapped together. Mind you, it's all a bit crooked since nothing is actually attached, and I'm getting the attachment gear on the backplate cover where the battery and assembly screw access will be, so it's not in shot.

GopnAOy.jpg

S25uQ6s.jpg

M4XgN2d.jpg

EgBFeaq.jpg

Cruddy photo, but a shot of today's work. All of the main gold bits are now weathered, still need to do the battery case cover and the little gold bits that attach near the gem (not pictured). The lower blade assembly has been weathered and the whole lot is assembled. Gonna weather the upper blades and gem cages in the morning and get the last small bits painted/weathered.

WFFPUIU.jpg

Well, after mucho weathering, polishing and final assembly bits, the first scepter is complete! I also may have finally started to figure out how to do this whole "prop photography" stuff.

tmsos9h.jpg

YCf7u4h.jpg

0pLNd49.jpg

Now time to finish refining the long shaft version and get it ready for molding!

The staff is looking great. The one thing I would point out (and I know this is still a work in progress) is that I think you might have missed a ridged section between the top of the staff and the main shaft.

awesome work, love the process of all these builds, helps me calm down and not try to get perfect results five minutes after starting. i appreciate the detailed step-by-steps you put out for us mere mortals to study and drool over.

hello there this is really looking great, i dont surpose that you would be willing to put up the template as a pdf, i am going to make this version of the scepter as well and having a teplate would really help.

hello there this is really looking great, i dont surpose that you would be willing to put up the template as a pdf, i am going to make this version of the scepter as well and having a teplate would really help.

Seconded. I'm also working on both of the scepters so a template would really come in handy if you'd be willing to share it :)
Absolutely amazing work by the way, I only hope mine turns out half as good as yours.

How do you paint it so it appears weathered what not?
I used some basic artist's acrylic paints, some scrunched up cheesecloth, some junk rags, my tatty-est paint brishes and added on grime/tarnish (black paint for silver areas, brown and black for gold), then wiped off some of the paint before it dried. I kept doing this until it started looking right. I used pretty much the same style as Volpin does.

The staff is looking great. The one thing I would point out (and I know this is still a work in progress) is that I think you might have missed a ridged section between the top of the staff and the main shaft.
Thanks for noticing! I do have a lip there in the full spear, but it's a bit too small, I'll build up a bit more apoxie there before the shaft is cast.

Fantastic looking piece! I'm curious though as to how much it weighs?
Right at about 4 pounds. This one was cast with the shaft hollow, so 4 pounds is about the minimum weight.

I'd be willing to, but with the caveat that the template is flawed towards the butt area, I had to completely redraw that by hand and it hasn't been added to the digital template. I may fix that and release it, but it'll take some time and I am spending most of that on my current commissions.

Thanks for all the input, questions and comments! I'm so happy y'all appreciate the work! Hoping to have more here soon on the full length spear, and his armor. Just have one non-Loki commission I want to finish up before my workshop goes back to being the trickster's arsenal again.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back