Sucker Punch: The worst movie I've seen in the last five years!

SP belongs to a group of films that combine terrible material with a light sprinkle of pretentiousness, just enough to make a people believe it has a deeper meaning, therefore confounding them into believing the terrible material has deeper meaning. The Cell had the exact same problem. It just rolled on a bunch of weird images, borrowed a lot of conceptual art and because it all looked so pretentious and arty, people assumed it was a deep, meaningful film.

And if the director throws in words like "empowerment" nobody wants to be caught on the wrong side of political correctness and call out that the emperor does now wear clothes just in case the movie full of potentially deep meaning they might have missed ...

It's just a cheap trick, nothing more.

I don't consider Sucker Punch a deep and thoughtful movie. It's visual eye candy. A fun little story. Nothing really beyond that.

And regarding the director... he just said "**** conventions and political correctness, this is the movie I want to make"!

I like it for what it is.

I don't consider Sucker Punch a deep and thoughtful movie. It's visual eye candy. A fun little story. Nothing really beyond that.

And regarding the director... he just said "**** conventions and political correctness, this is the movie I want to make"!

I like it for what it is.

Agreed. I thought they perhaps could have molded it into a deeper story, and if you really let your mind build on some of what they started you can build it into something bigger than it is.

But like you said - I like it for what it is. I don't need every movie I watch to be a serious, epic piece. Sometimes I just want to be entertained.

SP belongs to a group of films that combine terrible material with a light sprinkle of pretentiousness, just enough to make a people believe it has a deeper meaning, therefore confounding them into believing the terrible material has deeper meaning.

That's what I've always thought about The Matrix.

I see [probably more than] my fair share of movies, & SP was not EVEN CLOSE to "the worst" I've seen, even in the last month. I thought it was pretty good, in point of fact.

Hot chicks in sexxay garb? Check.
Hot chicks handling various weapons in a competent fashion? Check.
Giant mini-gun-wielding samurai? Check.
Battle-mechs? Check.
Killer robots? Check.
Zombie Nazis, goblins, fire-breathing dragons? Check, check, check.

What's not to like? I mean, I didn't go in with super-high expectations or anything, but worst thing I can call it is: entertaining.

*shrugs*

I see [probably more than] my fair share of movies, & SP was not EVEN CLOSE to "the worst" I've seen, even in the last month. I thought it was pretty good, in point of fact.

Hot chicks in sexxay garb? Check.
Hot chicks handling various weapons in a competent fashion? Check.
Giant mini-gun-wielding samurai? Check.
Battle-mechs? Check.
Killer robots? Check.

What's not to like? I mean, I didn't go in with super-high expectations or anything, but worst thing I can call it is: entertaining.

*shrugs*

Zombie Nazis

For the love of.... THEY WERE NOT NAZIS!!! The scene clearly takes place in WWI, evident by the biplanes and triplanes. The Nazi Party did not exist yet at that time.

Also, they were German Imperial STEAMPUNK Zombies.

For the love of.... THEY WERE NOT NAZIS!!! The scene clearly takes place in WWI, evident by the biplanes and triplanes. The Nazi Party did not exist yet at that time.

Also, they were German Imperial STEAMPUNK Zombies.
The time-period is pretty obvious, I was merely using a term that got the point completely across in one word, as opposed to - - - well, the big batch you just typed. :) So in other words, potato, tomato.

I mean, I call myself a "Coffee Nazi", but I don't hate Jews or associate myself in any way with the Third Reich. So yeah.

On-Topic: What's not to like?

This is a movie in which a bunch of girls are repeatedly raped, and to cope with it, escape into a fantasy world that's still too real, so they then have to create additional fantasy worlds on top of it where they can believe they've taken control of a situation they have no power in.

Of the whole group of girls, the majority end up dead, one is lobotomized, and one only barely escapes. And while they're being "empowered" they wear sexy clothing that guarantees AT LEAST half the audience will objectify them as sexual objects, which is ironic, because THEY'RE BEING RAPED during those scenes, in the real world asylum.

And this is heralded by some as a bastion of female empowerment? Maybe I'm too stupid, but I don't see it.

If it wasn't clear up to this point, I'm not a biggest fan of this film. :)

This is a movie in which a bunch of girls are repeatedly raped, and to cope with it, escape into a fantasy world that's still too real, so they then have to create additional fantasy worlds on top of it where they can believe they've taken control of a situation they have no power in.

Of the whole group of girls, the majority end up dead, one is lobotomized, and one only barely escapes. And while they're being "empowered" they wear sexy clothing that guarantees AT LEAST half the audience will objectify them as sexual objects, which is ironic, because THEY'RE BEING RAPED during those scenes, in the real world asylum.

And this is heralded by some as a bastion of female empowerment? Maybe I'm too stupid, but I don't see it.

If it wasn't clear up to this point, I'm not a biggest fan of this film. :)

The sexy clothing in the third level is actually meant to make any man who finds them sexy in this situation very uncomfortable, since doing so makes you no better than the rapists and clients on the first two levels.

I'm going to go listen to Emily Browning's renditon of Sweet Dreams now.
It's awesome :thumbsup (the song)
The movie: It's good for what it is, eye candy and fan boy pandering, I don't own it but for $5 I'd buy it just to watch the fight scenes!:cool
Lemony snickett is now an uncomortable movie for me :facepalm:lol

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back