Sucker Punch: The worst movie I've seen in the last five years!

Tried to continue, but gave up :(

Giving it to the youngest. Right up his alley, but definitely not mine.

Sorry to harp, but I'm 'angry' at myself for having actually bought the DVD :lol

Know the feeling - I haven't tried to watch SP, but let myself be badgered into buying Transformers: Dark of the Moon (sic - the word 'Side' seems to be missing) the other day by my kid.

Absolutely cannot get past the first half hour; regret the time I've already wasted on it. :sick

Sucker Punch was one of those movies that on the exterior is a horrible movie if you watch it as an action movie. Most of the movie I was sitting there just ridiculing it for how campy and over the top it was. Then I understood what folks meant when they said it was a thinking persons movie at the end. The entire dynamic of the movie shifted when I realized what was actually happening. Changed my opinion of the movie from "Holy Hell when will this thing end" to "wow, I wasn't expecting that and now am kinda disturbed".

Life of PI technically did the same thing as Sucker Punch, using a coping mechanism as the plot twist, but got a way better reception.

I appreciated the "bad ass hot chick" vibe, as well as the way it mixed in with feminism/empowerment themes.

But in execution, I just found the film sadistic and depressing.

I feel like I had the opposite impressions from the rest of you. I hated the costuming in the fantasy world (although I knew why it was there) but right off the bat I knew what kind of mind twister it was gonna be. I watched it right after watching Inception, though. Really, it's the same concept. An idea in your subconscious affects the real world in odd ways and visa versa. Just, instead of paramilitary semi-realism we had paramilitary fantasy. And ******.
Screw it I just really want Sweet Pea's Cas Iberia hand-and-a-half.

Last edited:
Screw it I just really want Baby Doll's Cas Iberia hand-and-a-half.

Eh... the katana is overrated. I preferred Sweet Pea's broadsword.

On another note, there was one aspect where I felt cheated.

The weapons training the stars went through.

Yes, they learned how to fire weapons and clear a room, and that is quite evident in how they moved with those weapons.

However, with all the time they spent in preproduction training, couldn't they have given them anything other than very basic sword training?

Seriously, Baby Doll's form was absolutely atrocious, and in the deleted sword battle scene against the Orcs, Sweet Pea actually swings her broadsword like a damned baseball bat. As a (very) amateur swordsman, I was appalled.

Eh... the katana is overrated. I preferred Sweet Pea's broadsword.

On another note, there was one aspect where I felt cheated.

The weapons training the stars went through.

Yes, they learned how to fire weapons and clear a room, and that is quite evident in how they moved with those weapons.

However, with all the time they spent in preproduction training, couldn't they have given them anything other than very basic sword training?

Seriously, Baby Doll's form was absolutely atrocious, and in the deleted sword battle scene against the Orcs, Sweet Pea actually swings her broadsword like a damned baseball bat. As a (very) amateur swordsman, I was appalled.

Got the characters flipped. Fixed it. Also, hand-and-a-half only ever refers to broadswords. I think about 40% of Sweet Pea's sword swinging trouble comes from her lack of pants.
What I like about the Cas is that the cross guard is very short. As far as physics go, if you have larger hand armor, you want a larger cross guard. Conversely, if you just wear gloves, you want something only a little bigger than a tsuba.

Got the characters flipped. Fixed it. Also, hand-and-a-half only ever refers to broadswords.

I knew you had made a mistake. I was just yanking your chain.

I think about 40% of Sweet Pea's sword swinging trouble comes from her lack of pants.

She wasn't wearing a dress, man. Other than her baseball swing, she did pretty well (aside from the extremely uneconomical movements, which I just attribute to movie mania as opposed to bad form).

What I like about the Cas is that the cross guard is very short. As far as physics go, if you have larger hand armor, you want a larger cross guard. Conversely, if you just wear gloves, you want something only a little bigger than a tsuba.

However, you also have to factor in the movie effect. Often, the grossly impractical weapon is also the most photogenic. Out of the three swords in that scene, the katana was the most impractical for the fight. In a swarm scenario, you want a stabbing weapon over a slashing one.

I completely forgot about this movie...then this old thread popped up again.
I'm mad all over again for watching this stupid movie! :lol

I enjoyed it for what it was. A movie. With action. And scantilly clad women. With weapons. It wasn't Bill Shakespeare, but it was a good flick to eat popcorn and drink beer to.

I enjoyed it for what it was. A movie. With action. And scantilly clad women. With weapons. It wasn't Bill Shakespeare, but it was a good flick to eat popcorn and drink beer to.

Pretty much sums up my feelings about it. I think of it as something to throw on the TV, while playing music through the stereo, while having a party. It is really nice video wallpaper.

I'd sit through a Sucker Punch Marathon before I ever laid my eyes on Tron Legacy
again. Now THAT movie was utter boring garbage.

I'd rather have my spleen removed through my belly button then sit
through that turd again.

This was on HBO a few weeks back so I watched around 15-20 min. and then just gave up. I rarely find a movie that I can't get all the way through, but for some reason I just had no interest in seeing the remainder of this flick.

This was on HBO a few weeks back so I watched around 15-20 min. and then just gave up. I rarely find a movie that I can't get all the way through, but for some reason I just had no interest in seeing the remainder of this flick.

As disappointed as I was in the movie, I didn't have any trouble sitting through it. The action scenes were great for the most part, I just don't think the movie is nearly as clever or deep as people give it credit for.

I still haven't been able to make it more than 15 minutes into the third Transformers film. I've tried several times now.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back