Styrene model insulation for steam conversion help!

Sigma-LS

Sr Member
Okay, so I know this one is really going to be out of left field but I'm wanting to convert an old Rapier Destroyer conversion to an RC pop ship.

The model was originally intended to be electric RC convertible so she is seaworthy in every way she need to be. The top is separable from the hull so she is easy to work on as well. The problem is the heat from the engine. I need some kind of material that will protect the hull from melting or getting soft and warping.

My first instinct is to fiberglass the inside to reinforce it, and then coat that in some kind of insulation, maybe furnace cement/perlite mix?

Or maybe I should use fiberglass insulation?

Would that even work without making the thing too heavy or melting it anyway? Heat source will probably be a small flame burning between 250-400F.

I have no illusions that she won't be sluggish as hell, but I would like it to function somewhat.

IMG_6590.jpg

IMG_6601.jpg

Example of homemade engines, and I can get some cheap ones off ebay for a basic try if I can solve the heat problem.

Attachments

• IMG_6590.jpg
    IMG_6590.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_6590.jpg
    IMG_6590.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_6601.jpg
    IMG_6601.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_6601.jpg
    IMG_6601.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 97
Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back