Stranger Things Props

PitKempo

I'm starting this thread to hopefully congregate as many Stranger Things props and information into one place as possible. Sort of a "Master Thread" if you will. So feel free to share any screen accurate prop from the show that you have or bits of information that will help the next person build their own. I have a few things of my own and always adding to the collection, and I've had a lot of help from UnusualWizardry when it comes to building Dustin's backpack.

I'll kick the thread off with my Jonathan Byers camera build.

Johnathan Byers Camera.jpg

The camera itself is a Pentax ME Super with a 1:1:7 lens.

Johnathan also has a retro 2" neck strap attached to the camera via the small triangular clips on the attachment points. My camera came with the wrong attachment point clips so I ordered the correct set from eBay for a few dollars. If you're trying to find the neck strap, use the words "Retro Wide Woven Hippie Neck Strap" and you can find similar ones. Just have to keep an eye out for the screen accurate one.

Finally, on top of the camera is a Vivitar Electronic Flash (Model 283) with the words "Auto Thyristor" on the knob. This part is fairly easy to find!

IMG_1459.jpg

I've looked up images that were taken with this camera and I'm actually excited to do some photography with it. Everything on this build was relatively inexpensive and makes for a great display item.

As I've mentioned, I'm hoping this thread can help gather a lot of information into one place so if you have props or costumes you'd like to share with any information to help us locate things as well, please share (even if its posted elsewhere).

Last edited:
I am on the hunt to build the flashlights, and walkie talkies. Ill need to get some great screen grabs and figure out what was used.

I am on the hunt to build the flashlights, and walkie talkies. Ill need to get some great screen grabs and figure out what was used.
Mikes Walkie - TRC-214
Dustin’s Walkie - TRC-212
Lucas’s Walkie - TRC-206

The flashlights are a little trickier since there’s quite a few of them depending on what season you go with.

I can send you links to the various flashlights if you’re interested.

Mikes Walkie - TRC-214
Dustin’s Walkie - TRC-212
Lucas’s Walkie - TRC-206

The flashlights are a little trickier since there’s quite a few of them depending on what season you go with.

I can send you links to the various flashlights if you’re interested.
Ohhh man this is excellent I would greatly appreciate some leads on flashlights. Thank you again for the walkie info. Have you built or made any of the stranger things props? What are your thoughts on the flashlights?

Not starting from scratch, there is a thread for this already. Here is a post of two of the flashlights from s4. I will note that the Eveready with the red cap appears to have been modified by production with a push button. I could not find a single real model that matches the exact look but activates with a push button. Stranger Things - D&D Miniatures & Other Props.

Not starting from scratch, there is a thread for this already. Here is a post of two of the flashlights from s4. I will note that the Eveready with the red cap appears to have been modified by production with a push button. I could not find a single real model that matches the exact look but activates with a push button. Stranger Things - D&D Miniatures & Other Props.

Hate to be that guy, but the Season 4 Silver Evereadys are also not quite so simple. These too were perhaps production modified.

Take a look and note the extra ridge/stripe/gap on the flared end where the two pieces meet at the lens housing, the flare itself is also taller than those silver Eveready's.
Capture.JPG
ode-5-dustin-do-i-have-to-tell-you-everything-qotw.png
Capture02.JPG

It almost even looks as if the entire end is a slightly different metal too - a little duller. Perhaps the bodies of the original Eveready's were used with custom fabricated lens housings to produce brighter beams?

I'll just add here too that Dustin's large Season 4 flashlight is a Mark II UniFloat Lantern.
erthings_strangerthings4_3_00_56_37_02_cropped-jpg.jpg
image0-jpeg.jpg

EDIT: Regarding Steve's Red Tipped Flashlight. He actually does use the unmodified Eveready Commander during the school sequence.
Take a look:
Capture03.JPG

It's only during the Creel House sequence when he also appears to be using a heavily modified light. The body appears to also be one of the Silver Eveready's, which would explain the push button, and the ridged body - the red cap though with all the ridges I also haven't seen anywhere:
Capture04.JPG

Last edited:
That's just where they screw together. Now I don't know why they are unscrewed in those images, but not all scenes show them unscrewed like that.

That's just where they screw together. Now I don't know why they are unscrewed in those images, but not all scenes show them unscrewed like that.

I don't know man. Please don't get me wrong - I would prefer if you were correct. I actually also bought one of the silver Eveready's since it's certainly close enough.
That being said, here's a comparison of it unscrewed as far as I can get it without the end falling off vs a better screenshot of the one I shared earlier. Did my best to match the angle and relative size to the screenshot.

Flashlight Comparison.jpg

To me that end looks almost twice as tall as the stock one and the gap seems much bigger than is possible with it unscrewed to the max.
You’re definitely correct that that is where the seam is, but it looks to me like they used a different head to replace the old one. Every shot I’ve seen of them in Season 4 they have this extra ridge or gap in that seam where they screw together. It would make sense if they did, with all the flickering that goes on in 405 - they might have wanted to mod them to flicker and turn off and on as they needed them. The beams were clearly added with CGI in some of the shots, but the bulb inside is definitely a practical effect.

Okay now it's time to go way too in-depth and detailed about these lights:
tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

The continuity of these specific lights is honestly a nightmare. While I don't think they ever completely resemble the original, whatever is going on at that seam is different from scene to scene (and it turns out you are partially correct - there is one scene where the lights are untouched).
I wonder if this would have to do with the hectic filming schedule thanks to COVID. For example, the Duffers make reference to one scene beginning in Mike's basement, when the characters go outside to get in the car moments later, they are all a year older. That could explain the different iterations of the lights, perhaps - maybe the rigged ones weren't ready when they started filming and they continued to progress throughout the shoot?

The biggest tell of time passing is Gaten - some scenes his hair is shorter, others it's a little longer.

I'll place these under Spoilers to not overwhelm the page with a massive post, but here's all the reference I pulled while trying to track down these lights originally.

In 402, when the group is searching at Rick's house - the lights seem to have a more thick flat groove with the larger head - it does kind of resemble them being unscrewed, but it's pretty thick to be just that:
Dustin's
S402 Eddie Search Capture 01.jpg

Robin's
S402 Eddie Search Capture 02.jpg

Max's
S402 Eddie Search Capture 03.jpg

The very next scene though, that area looks...wrinkled? Almost as if there's a strip of tape over that seam area. The last image definitely reads like some kind of Aluminum Tape or something.
Robin's
S402 Boathouse Capture 01.jpg

Max's
S402 Boathouse Capture 02.jpg
S402 Boathouse Capture 03.jpg
S402 Boathouse Capture 04.jpg

Now, when that kind of light is shown in 403 and 404 during the school scenes - it's actually untouched, but this time Max uses the model with the black slider and the small square red button:
s-l1600.jpg

Check it out:
Max's
S403 School Office Capture 01.jpg
S403 School Office Capture 02.jpg

S404 School Continued Capture 02.jpg

That finally brings us to the Creel House sequences in 405. Now the seam area appears more refined - almost more designed and intentional. Really note the difference in the shine on the metal, especially Dustin's. Near the end, when the lights burst Max's almost looks even rounder and more modified than usual
Nancy's
405 Creel House Capture 01 Nancy.JPG
405 Creel House Capture 09 Nancy.JPG

Dustin's
405 Creel House Capture 02 Dustin-S.jpg
405 Creel House Capture 04 Dustin-S.jpg

405 Creel House Capture 08 Dustin.JPG

Max's
405 Creel House Capture 03 Max-S.jpg
405 Creel House Capture 05 Max-S.jpg

405 Creel House Capture 06 Max-S.jpg

Robin's
405 Creel House Capture 07 Robin-S.jpg

Max & Dustin's (during bursting scene)
405 Creel House Capture 11 Breaking.JPG

The Flashlights in 406 onward beginning during the Lake scene is a new one (since all their lights broke in the last episode) - haven't figured it out yet.
406 Steve.JPG

Hope this helps. It all seems really odd. I'd love to know the story of what's going on with these.

Im filing this under “choosing to ignore screen accuracy”. Since these are definitely the bases used, it’s what I want. You’re probably spot-on about the extra bit being a module for remote controlling the flickering and dimming.

In terms of dullness, they were probably sprayed with something so they would not reflect cameras/crew/lights.

Im filing this under “choosing to ignore screen accuracy”.

Lol. Yeah I'm with you, honestly. I'm perfectly happy with the light I have.
I've got the three used in the school scenes from 403 / 404 and that's totally cool with me.

Sorry if it seemed like I was trying to prove you wrong or anything - I am moreso just baffled by the flashlights and had to share. XD
I just had to go off on how weird the situation is with these lights.

Dustin's Pathfinder Compass

Dustin's Compass.png

I've actually found that there are 3 different styles of this exact compass.

Key features you want to keep an eye out to make sure you have the correct would:
- The millimeters on the left are a single digit. The one that came in the blue box has double digits "70" vs "7", "80" vs "8".
- the SILVA SYSTEM on the bottom right is stacked vs the blue one that has Silva System in a single line.
- Purple letters and numbers

IMG_1864.JPG

Here is an example of the "close" compass. Note the double digit millimeters and the "Silva System" on a single line.

Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 7.01.40 PM.png

There is also a Girl Scout version that is still a Pathfinder Compass but has a completely different stamp on the top right and has more of a gold lettering instead of purple. Pictured below:

Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 7.03.49 PM.png

Last edited:
To reiterate, as far as I have been able to tell, the 100% screen accurate version is the one that came in the red box.

Huh... Boy do I have some weird news then. You're never going to believe this, but my compass is somehow screen accurate and in the blue box?!
IMG_3353.jpg

IMG_3354.jpg

I swear it came like this. Why does this stuff have to be so random sometimes? XD
Great points and attention to detail by the way!

I don't know man. Please don't get me wrong - I would prefer if you were correct. I actually also bought one of the silver Eveready's since it's certainly close enough.
That being said, here's a comparison of it unscrewed as far as I can get it without the end falling off vs a better screenshot of the one I shared earlier. Did my best to match the angle and relative size to the screenshot.

View attachment 1670447

To me that end looks almost twice as tall as the stock one and the gap seems much bigger than is possible with it unscrewed to the max.
You’re definitely correct that that is where the seam is, but it looks to me like they used a different head to replace the old one. Every shot I’ve seen of them in Season 4 they have this extra ridge or gap in that seam where they screw together. It would make sense if they did, with all the flickering that goes on in 405 - they might have wanted to mod them to flicker and turn off and on as they needed them. The beams were clearly added with CGI in some of the shots, but the bulb inside is definitely a practical effect.

Okay now it's time to go way too in-depth and detailed about these lights:
View attachment 1670473

The continuity of these specific lights is honestly a nightmare. While I don't think they ever completely resemble the original, whatever is going on at that seam is different from scene to scene (and it turns out you are partially correct - there is one scene where the lights are untouched).
I wonder if this would have to do with the hectic filming schedule thanks to COVID. For example, the Duffers make reference to one scene beginning in Mike's basement, when the characters go outside to get in the car moments later, they are all a year older. That could explain the different iterations of the lights, perhaps - maybe the rigged ones weren't ready when they started filming and they continued to progress throughout the shoot?

The biggest tell of time passing is Gaten - some scenes his hair is shorter, others it's a little longer.

I'll place these under Spoilers to not overwhelm the page with a massive post, but here's all the reference I pulled while trying to track down these lights originally.

In 402, when the group is searching at Rick's house - the lights seem to have a more thick flat groove with the larger head - it does kind of resemble them being unscrewed, but it's pretty thick to be just that:

The very next scene though, that area looks...wrinkled? Almost as if there's a strip of tape over that seam area. The last image definitely reads like some kind of Aluminum Tape or something.

Now, when that kind of light is shown in 403 and 404 during the school scenes - it's actually untouched, but this time Max uses the model with the black slider and the small square red button:
View attachment 1670474

Check it out:

That finally brings us to the Creel House sequences in 405. Now the seam area appears more refined - almost more designed and intentional. Really note the difference in the shine on the metal, especially Dustin's. Near the end, when the lights burst Max's almost looks even rounder and more modified than usual

The Flashlights in 406 onward beginning during the Lake scene is a new one (since all their lights broke in the last episode) - haven't figured it out yet.

Hope this helps. It all seems really odd. I'd love to know the story of what's going on with these.

This is a wonderful break down of the flashlights

Hey everyone! Update on the Season 4 Flashlights. Turns out they were indeed modified to house a wireless dimmer system.
Check out this case study from City Theatrical specifically about the flashlights in Episode 5.
Multiverse Wireless DMX for Stranger Things Season 4 Case Study

There's no information on the custom cosmetic housing at the end, but they do touch on the internals a bit.
benhs1898 Dzics001 PitKempo

Either way, the original flashlight is still more than good enough to have.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back