Stargate Atlantis ZPM Build

Here are a couple updated photos. Wow, do these projects ever take way longer than expected or what...

ZPM12.jpg

ZPM11.jpg

That looks absolutely superb! The lines are so nice and clean. Wow. I was just wondering about your progress this morning, and sure enough...there it is. Stellar job Logan.:thumbsup

Nice. If you are planning on a run, I'd like to see your finished product so drop me a line in case I miss seeing that thread. So far though, looking pretty good. The base doesn't quite look as rounded yet as the screen used ones though, still working on that?

I just thought the base seemed a little long, perhaps approximately 1"?

Also, I remembered seeing this a while ago for the black overlay 'piping'. You figure that stuff is solid or rubberized?

Ok, so I'm not too happy with those photos (used my iphone and they look flat) so I took a few more with a better camera.

PA220131.jpg

PA220130.jpg

PA220129.jpg

PA220128.jpg

Kerr - It's definitely still a work in progress. Do these pictures clarify the base a bit for you? Definitely looking for any critiques anyone may have at this point. As far as a run goes, I'd definitely consider it, but I really want to get closer to a finished product before making any decisions.

Caveneau - I may need to trim the base a bit, not quite sure yet. Actually, I already trimmed it once. I made a jig to hold it in place and cut it with my chop saw (fingers were heavily crossed just hoping that it didn't shred the thing into a bunch of little pieces). I found some 1/16" heat shrink tubing that I think will work quite nicely for the black lines. I'm hoping it'll be fairly easy to epoxy in place, we'll see. Still have more sanding to do. I feel like I say that in every post...

Looks phenomenal so far anyway.
I'm down for 1 of these for sure when they're done.
Keep up the great work.

First, fantastic work!
Second, have you thought about the black leading stuff used for faux stained glass for the lines? I always thought that looked like what was on the original ZPM.

Did you have a plan/strategy for the lengths of the crystals and the order they would be placed or was it just by wht looked good?

Caveneau - thanks, I'll keep you in mind.

P00k - I haven't looked into the leading for the faux stained glass, but I definitely will, thanks for the idea.

Talen - excellent question. From what I can gather, there are a number of different zpms that were used during production. It was pretty much impossible to get exact measurements/details because there were so many different versions and it was pretty much impossible to figure out which screenshots/photos were which zpms. So, I decided to take the overall dimensions and take elements from the most prominent screenshots and, on the premise that every zpm is different (in Stargate lore that is), make one that incorporates elements of all the zpms that were seen, but is unique in itself. The plan was to take a 1x4 poplar board, rip the general crystal shapes down on the table saw, glue them in a circular shape and then build it up from there with accent crystals at different heights. I built up the lower section with modeling clay and got most of the sharp edges using a belt sander.

That's 'Actiprops'. His name is Phil. He's the only other person I am aware of who has successfully made accurate ZPMs and has been selling them for approx 4 years now.
He's on Facebook as well, as Actiprops.

IIRC, didn't that turn out to be the same Phil of PhilPropMan's "Phaserang Holsters For Sell" fame a decade ago? You know, the teenager who had a " government grant" to build props in his 800,000 square foot warehouse? :lol

Crazy that he ended up being good at prop building after all.

Yeah I think so. There's a whole history there. A lot of what people have said is very biased though. I bought 2 ZPMs off him and I am still to this day very thrilled with them.
I personally cannot speak badly of him.

Nice work so far! Looks sharp... Cannot wait to see how it turns up..! I ve been thinking about building one for a long time....myself... Keep us updated mate!

He does make some nice stuff, and it totally IS the same guy from years ago. As one of the people (along with Matt Munson, LeMarchand and others) who first outed him, I can admit he's become a heck of a replica maker- it also was a LONG time ago, and he's probably grown up and seen the error of his ways, but he continues to deny and complain about being harassed.

You can't argue with him having turned it around. He has many satisfied customers now. But I don't get why he doesn't just go, "I was that guy ten years ago. I was a kid then and i was a jerk, but I grew up and changed."

I think that would go a longer way than denying it and crying harassment every time. *shrug*

wish I'd been able to pick up one or two of those lit ZPM's that were made a while back. The ones previously done were awesome as they even had a rechargeable battery pack. Hope someone else does the same. I'd be down with picking up a couple. Ones in this thread look money. Love how accurately they've been done.

BEAUTIFUL :D

ZPM's are dream props ... would love to own an original light up one if I can find someone willing to sell :love

I wouldnt buy one of Actiprop's personally as between the lines, he was only interested in making profit for himself when I proposed a joint venture on replicating some of my stuff a year ago [BIG mistake by him] ...

Yours looks as good as any out there :) --- keep up the work

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back